Average Marking Gauge

Review by Mike Lingenfelter posted 2403 days ago 4887 views 1 time favorited 6 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Average Marking Gauge Average Marking Gauge No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I bought this marking gauge, because I thought it was better deal than the Tite-Mark. I was really disappointed with the the Micro-Adjustment on the Veritas. It requires you to use both hands to adjust the gauge. The instructions even tell you that you have to use both hands. Once adjusted the gauge works well and is accurate. If you want to buy Veritas, I suggest buying their standard marking gauge and save a few more bucks.

View Mike Lingenfelter's profile

Mike Lingenfelter

View rikkor's profile

rikkor

I like this type of marking gauge opposed to the pin type.

View Joe Heskett's profile

Joe Heskett

I agree with Mike L. in that you do have to use both hands for micro-adjustments but once set it stays set and remains accurate. I like the wheel-style although I’ve never used the pin type. I would suggest saving your money and purchasing the guage without the micro-adjust. Note that this is the first and only marking guage I’ve owned. This tool will roll off your bench if your not careful :-)

-- Joe Heskett---Illinois

View CutNRun's profile

CutNRun

I would also echo the review. I have the same marking gauge and like the function of the gauge after it is set. The micro-adjust feature is cumbersome and I never use the graduations on the shaft. I always set the depth using a ruler or combination square. Save some money, buy the basic unit without markings.

-- CutNRun - So much wood, so many trails, so little time

View marcb's profile

marcb

I just got mine a few days ago. Microadjust and non graduated. Its nice. I keeps the micro adjust set in the center and with some finger contortion (I do have long fingers which may make this workable) I can do it 1 handed. Definitly not designed for it, but thats why the guy who made the titemark custom machined his up.

View Matt Stauffer's profile

Matt Stauffer

I have this guage and like it, but have to admit that the micro adjust is somewhat troublesome. It took me a while to figure out how to “micro adjust” it. I have since forgotten how to use that feature. It is still my primary guage though. Oh, I also have the version with inches marked on it, but haven’t used that to measure anything.

-- Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that heareth my word, and believeth on him that sent me, hath everlasting life, and shall not come into condemnation; but is passed from death unto life. ~ John 5:24

View ic3ss's profile

ic3ss

I bought this gauge a few months ago, but without the micro adjust thingy. I read quite a bit about them and just decided that I didn’t need it, and that it really was more hassle than it was worth. I love mine. And the best thing is that it’s not made in China or Taiwan. One could tell this by simply holding and using it.