Dust collector cfm to mod changes

Review by Monkeyman1 posted 07-05-2015 04:13 PM 5477 views 0 times favorited 19 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Dust collector cfm to mod changes Dust collector cfm to mod changes No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

This is ment to give and idea of what happens to air flow when we do mods to a dust collector. I have been getting along with my vacuum ok, but time to upgrade. After stalking (lol) this site for a few months and checking Craig’s list all the time, I decided to buy a HF dust collector. I feel for the price it is very tough to beat.
This is a very unscientific test and due to either bad jack on my cellphone (new Cat S-50) or due to the cheapness ($40) of a ABM-100 anemometer. This is ment to show the decrease r increase of given mods I will do over time. I will take 6 readings and averaged them, all readings will be at inlet

Test #1, Bare blower with 5” adaptor attached. CFM was 559

Test #2, Assembled, with new dust bag. CFM was 461.

I also took measurements of the fan blade and it was 10” wide, 1 5/16 deep, 7 vanes total. I also measured the open area from tip of vane to housing opening and had about 1 3/16 of space left incase I want to try a differant fan.

View josephf's profile

josephf

#1 posted 07-05-2015 10:47 PM

both of my fans have big heavy cast fins . interesting to see yours . i was able to vent mine out doors and saw first hand the difference in what adding the bag did to the suction .on another thred someone sujested that cyclones drop suction .i have not felt any loss of change when i have added cyclones .would be interested in seeing an actual test .maybe it is the size of the cyclone that makes the difference .

View Woodknack's profile

Woodknack

#2 posted 07-06-2015 04:31 AM

I’m not clear what you are reviewing or if you are reviewing anything. This seems like it should have been a blog post.

-- Rick M, http://thewoodknack.blogspot.com/

#3 posted 07-06-2015 07:10 AM

if the micron level increased on the new bag that should explain the decrease in cfm

I pleated filter like Wynn Environmental sells since the pleated filter have more sq inches of material it can filter filter out smaller particles while increasing airflow over the felt bag plus should decrease the level of noise at the same time

so that is my best guess to what is happening

#4 posted 07-06-2015 09:26 AM

Rick…...I put it in the wrong spot, I screwed up, lol.

This is a new out of box HF dust collector. My future plans is to mount the motor inline with the ring, add a Thien baffle and a Wynn filter. I leaning towards the nano filter.

#5 posted 07-07-2015 04:26 AM

This is basically the same set up I have with the thien baffle but I really want to add the separator before the impeller. for the money spent for the wynn filter and the dust collector on sale you cannot really go wrong with it…

#6 posted 07-07-2015 11:45 PM

Today, I got a bug up, you know where, and bought a Wynn nano filter. When I called, I talked to Dick, very nice guy and answered my questions. I feel good about spending so much money on a filter as my background is automotive and know a filter is not a filter!

Now all I need is more time!

Question on the separator…Seeing how this unit has a 5” inlet on the fan, should I go with a 6” inlet on the separator?

#7 posted 07-08-2015 02:28 AM

Yes, Dick is a really nice guy one of the nicest people I have ever talked to and got advice from

enjoy your new filter I am sure you will

as for your question I do not have the official answer but that it how I would do it with the 6” since that is what my main lines are going to be but right now I and just using 4 inch hose but that will change when I had on a dust collector storage area through the rear wall of my shop

#8 posted 07-12-2015 07:05 PM

Today, I have to many honey do’s to get done. I did managed to get a cart built, but built it around a 38” tall fiber barrel (free). To bad it is way to tall, LOL. The filter would hit the ceiling in the basement. I think we have shorter fiber barrels at work.

#9 posted 07-19-2015 09:27 PM

No CFM reading yet, But I figured out something I have YET to see. I figured out a way to lift this heavy motor/fan assembly up and keeping it simple. A screw lift, atleast that is what I am calling it. I used kitchen drawer slides and 5/16 rod. When I am done I can use either a drill or wrench to raise and lower the motor.

Today, I put the inlet pipe in the drum and made a wooden brace. I sealed the inside the drum to pipe and tried to make a good seal. my tin smithing is very bad, looks like a 2 yr old did it…LOL.

#10 posted 07-19-2015 09:28 PM

#11 posted 07-20-2015 02:51 AM

looks good so far keep up the hard work

#12 posted 07-20-2015 10:15 PM

Sorry about the double tap posting. I just seen it.

At least the people that have this design DC now have an optional way of lifting there fan assembly. Would making a top hat set-up easier.

#13 posted 07-25-2015 08:15 PM

I had time today. I borrowed a meter from work the measures FPM and used my CFM meter.
Today, I measured motor in a Horizontal plane and vertical plane, then with it put on my drum.

Horizontal plane, meaning normal building of these units and not mounted to the drum.
Inlet…..... 7100 FPM and 1097 CFM
Outlet…...5018 FPM and 815 CFM

Vertical plane, meaning on my stand I made.
Inlet….....over 10,000 FPM ( maxed out meter) and 800 CFM
Outlet…..6200 FPM and 766 CFM

Vertical plane, mounted ontop of my drum. Inlet sealed. I am using the normal inlet unmodified from the (5 in.) motor and the inlet to my drum is 6 in.
Inlet…..3010 FPM and 667 CFM
Outlet…3719 FPM and 655 CFM

#14 posted 07-26-2015 08:22 PM

Today, I had some more my time (wife thinks I am nuts). I put more together, this time is the bag collector. I mounted the collector and Wynn filter. Getting the collector square to the fan outlet was not hard.
These measurements are from the inlet side only.

Base collector with bag
CFM 580….FPM 2774

Base collector with bag and Wynn Filter installed
CFM 567…FPM 2750

I am currently working on a thien baffle for the drum seperator and those figures will be added when I get it.

A few notes.
I have notice a few things building this that is not making sense to me. I will post more about the actual inlet and outlet diameters. It is not what they say it is!
When I was measuring the inlet readings of the motor itself, I damn near lost the devices in the fan!! My CFM meter lost connection and started to pull out of the phone, LOL. The Extech was spinning so fast I thought it was going to blow apart. I was actually amazed laying the motor on it side produced better reading.
When I am totaly done. I can take readings all at one time as this is a modular design. I will get all readings done at once and in a short time.
The more this thing get built the quieter it gets (thank goodness the wife will kill me).

Am I missing anything? Should I change the inlet to a 4”?? Would that help?

#15 posted 08-02-2015 05:10 PM

I had time to install the Thien Baffle and took reading, I averaged 613 cfm today. I did notice and measured both the inlet and outlet they both where 4.5 inches. I am going to cut out the screen on the inlet side and may be open that up alittle to see if the cfm changes?

I thought I would show you guys how I attached my filter. I had wire for picture frame hanging and used a piece of hard maple.