They are finally here...

Review by DKV posted 07-01-2015 11:15 PM 4856 views 0 times favorited 18 comments Add to Favorites Watch
They are finally here... They are finally here... No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

7/1/2015 – I will clean them up and start reviewing them tonight or tomorrow. All I know right now is they are very oily and the tips are covered in plastic. They will be rated 1 star until I find out different. More later…

7/2/2015 – Just got done testing 4 bits. Each bit was used to drill 5 holes. When the holes were measured each was small by 1/128-1/256. The dial calipers I used also come from Lee Valley. Since a woodshop is not a machine shop I am totally happy with the outcome. Four stars until I get a chance to see how they wear.

View jumbojack's profile

jumbojack

#1 posted 07-01-2015 11:25 PM

Chuck each one in your DP and check for run out. I had one that was unusable .04” wobble.

-- Made in America, with American made tools....Shopsmith

#2 posted 07-01-2015 11:32 PM

- jumbojack

Did you send them back?

View RobS888's profile

RobS888

#3 posted 07-02-2015 08:38 AM

So they are packed well for safety and rust protection?

-- I always suspected many gun nuts were afraid of something, just never thought popcorn was on the list.

View ellen35's profile

ellen35

#4 posted 07-02-2015 11:38 AM

Have had them for about 3 years… they are my “go to” bits for precise drilling and they are perfect.
They hold their point and sharpness.
I have a “box” of those “200 drill bits for $69” from Woodcraft that I use maybe 3-4 times and throw away.
You get what you pay for.
Just my 0.02 cents.
I’ll be very interested in your analysis, DKV.

-- "Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good." Voltaire

View CooperDBM's profile

CooperDBM

#5 posted 07-02-2015 11:43 AM

Guilty until proven innocent?

-- Dave, Ottawa, ON

View BinghamtonEd's profile

BinghamtonEd

#6 posted 07-02-2015 11:54 AM

DKV, I enjoy many of your posts, but not this review. 1 star for a review of a product that hasn’t even been used yet.

-- - The mightiest oak in the forest is just a little nut that held its ground.

View JoeinGa's profile

JoeinGa

7736 posts in 2007 days

#7 posted 07-02-2015 12:48 PM

You may not realize this, but your 1 point review will skew the scoring results (if in fact these turn out to be fantastic bits).

-- Perform A Random Act Of Kindness Today ... Pay It Forward

#8 posted 07-02-2015 03:00 PM

The one star review is not final as I tried to initially say. I wanted to open the review thread and there is no choice for a pending rating. The one star is temporary, I repeat, temporary. I will start the review tonight and probably finish in the next couple days. Guilty until proven innocent? Only a short time.

#9 posted 07-02-2015 03:04 PM

So they are packed well for safety and rust protection?

- RobS888

Packed well for safety and very, very well protected against rust. Dripping well protected. A thin film would have been better.

View WoodNSawdust's profile

WoodNSawdust

#10 posted 07-02-2015 03:06 PM

Given they are from Lee-Valley I would probably have given them initially a four star rating or have held off on any review until I have actually used them for a few projects.

-- "I love it when a plan comes together" John "Hannibal" Smith

#11 posted 07-02-2015 03:08 PM

- WoodNSawdust

Good suggestion. I will do that.

View ChuckC's profile

ChuckC

#12 posted 07-02-2015 04:32 PM

Yeah, a 1 star placeholder (I guess 4 now) is a useless “review”. Let’s use the darn thing first and post something meaningful afterwards.

View Daruc's profile

Daruc

#13 posted 07-02-2015 04:45 PM

Another Review without ever using them?
Maybe you should have put this in a different category until you have experience with them?
As you said, there is no option for a pending rating.

Funny, you complain about people asking what table saw to buy and you can’t even pick your own drill bits. LOL
FI,, (Friend Indeed)

-- -

View ChuckV's profile

ChuckV

#14 posted 07-03-2015 12:12 AM

You should make videos of the testing process. You could provide the first few videos, using the smallest bits, for free. Once everyone is hooked, hit ‘em with a subscription to see the larger bits in action!

-- “Big man, pig man, ha ha, charade you are.” ― R. Waters

View RPhillips's profile

RPhillips

#15 posted 07-03-2015 02:57 AM

You should make videos of the testing process. You could provide the first few videos, using the smallest bits, for free. Once everyone is hooked, hit em with a subscription to see the larger bits in action!

- ChuckV

genius….

-- Rob - Indianapolis IN - Learning... one mistake at a time...