Freud router bit broke into 3 pieces.

Review by Julian posted 06-25-2015 10:06 PM 4922 views 0 times favorited 23 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Freud router bit broke into 3 pieces. No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I used this 3/8” up spiral bit for over a year when making mortises for a gate (in redwood).
This bit did not get used very much. Supposedly it is solid carbide.
Recently I was routing slots for a jig in a medium dense wood using my router table.
When I was nearly finished I heard a bang and discovered the bit broke into 3 pieces.
These router bits are not cheap; over $50. I emailed Freud twice on from their website about this
and to find out if they warranty the bits. No response after 3 days. Very poor customer service.
My new spiral bit will be from Whiteside. No more Freud router bits.
The reason I gave 3 stars is because the router bit worked well until it broke.

-- Julian

View Julian's profile

Julian

View QuangFromCalgary's profile

QuangFromCalgary

#1 posted 06-26-2015 02:04 AM

Yes, it happened to me before but not that expensive bit. I have never bought freud bit since then. I think they have problems with quality control.

View rustfever's profile

rustfever

#2 posted 06-26-2015 02:22 AM

I have a Freud 1/2” d router bit that warped. Yes, it is our of round. I used it once for less than 60 seconds.
Message to Freud: Good-Bye

-- Rustfever, Central California

View philba's profile

philba

#3 posted 06-26-2015 05:55 AM

solid carbide is very fragile. I broke one just by pushing it a little too hard. don’t blame Freud – it’s the nature of solid carbide bits.

View runswithscissors's profile

runswithscissors

2752 posts in 2025 days

#4 posted 06-26-2015 07:19 AM

Grizzly has a warning over their solid carbide bits that they are brittle, and I believe they don’t guarantee them from breakage.

View robscastle's profile

robscastle

#5 posted 06-26-2015 09:09 AM

Hi there Julian,

Welcome to the club !! a box of Kneenex is in the mail!!
The short reply:-
Go buy another one and get on with it!

The longer reply:- for what is worth,
Router bits regardless of their cost are considered consumable by the supplier and usually only have a warranty against defects only.
Misuse and wear and tear are not covered.

From my experience breakages usually occur from the bit being subject to a shock.
This can be in a forms.

Chattering
When Chattering occurs its usually all over quickly and too late for the bit epecially if its a small one, 3mm or there abouts,

Impact shock.

The bit may have also been dropped before use.
The bit may have hit a FO or knot within the timber. good night the fox!
Carbide is very fragile and does not like being flexed (philba)
Could even be metal fatigue

As you have not posted any of the gory details its hard to determine just exactly what has happened.

Post Mortem ( if you want to waste more time)
Find the three pieces and examine them, use a magnifying device if required it may reveal something, apart from the fact its broken.
However I can tell you to have a 3/8 bit break and break into three pieces something serious must have happened.
otherwise an echo….Go buy another one and get on with it!

To add insult to injury I dont think Freud are in business any more!

-- Regards Rob

View AaronK's profile

AaronK

#6 posted 06-26-2015 10:39 AM

I had an issue with my freud router and customer service was very responsive. My suggestion is to call them on the phone. Email can be touchy and there’s no guarantee that someone even gets the email (maybe a bug in a program somewhere!).

View abie's profile

abie

#7 posted 06-26-2015 03:22 PM

Also Check out Unsrud bits (SP)

-- Bruce. a mind is like a book it is only useful when open.

View Manitario's profile

Manitario

#8 posted 06-26-2015 03:59 PM

I’ve broken several of my solid carbide bits. Carbide is extremely hard (so it stay sharp for a long time) but very brittle. Too deep a cut, too fast a feed speed or just wear and tear and the bit will break.

-- Sometimes the creative process requires foul language. -- Charles Neil

View abie's profile

abie

#9 posted 06-26-2015 04:23 PM

Onsrud router bits spelling incorrect in previous post.

-- Bruce. a mind is like a book it is only useful when open.

View CharlieM1958's profile

CharlieM1958

#10 posted 06-27-2015 12:27 AM

Ditto what others have said about carbide bits being brittle and easy to break.

-- Charlie M. "Woodworking - patience = firewood"

View michelletwo's profile

michelletwo

#11 posted 06-27-2015 12:57 PM

the rule of depth of cut= bit diam does not hold true with carbide..stressing with too deep a cut or trying to cut too fast will break them most times..it is brittle stuff

View timbertailor's profile

timbertailor

#12 posted 06-28-2015 03:48 PM

solid carbide is very fragile. I broke one just by pushing it a little too hard. don t blame Freud – it s the nature of solid carbide bits.

- philba

AMEN. The nature of any solid carbide bit. Be gentle with them. I use the downcut spiral bits on laminates ALL the time. Works great with no tear out or chipping.

-- Brad, Texas, https://www.youtube.com/user/tonkatoytruck/feed

View Woodknack's profile

Woodknack

#13 posted 06-29-2015 08:02 AM

Freud took 4-5 working days to get reply to my emails.

-- Rick M, http://thewoodknack.blogspot.com/

View Redoak49's profile

Redoak49

3248 posts in 1988 days

#14 posted 06-29-2015 09:23 PM

Best way to break a router bit up s by taking to big of a cut or too heavy a cut. I have broken some and my fault.

My experience with Freud is pretty high quality stuff.

Take a high quality picture of fracture faces and post them. One can see if there was a defect present or was overload.

View SapDruide's profile

SapDruide

#15 posted 06-29-2015 09:56 PM

Hey, I do agree with Redoak49, I also had a great experience with Freud, the quality is truly something they care about.