|Review by Matt (Upper Cut)||posted 1924 days ago||5275 views||0 times favorited||4 comments|
I recently ordered the set for my new Jet JFM-5. I am very disappointed and will be buying a higher quality bit set. I’ll keep these cheaper chisels for rough work. I’m sure they won’t last long.
You can find the link to the set here.
1. This is a short set. This means that you’ll have to add your arbor extension to your mortiser.
2. Not sharp, so you’ll have to sharpen them.
3. Not ground to standard angle. I used the Lee Valley hones. And it took a lot of time (and took off a lot of iron) to for the diamond hones to change the angle.
4. They are coated in gunk (like a clear polymer)
5. They heat up and burn even with proper feeding and pressure (see images)
Overall, you get what you pay for. This was not the right set of chisels for my nice new mortiser.
I wonder if these chisels are better.
-- Matt Gradwohl, Upper Cut Woodworks, http://uppercutwoodworks.com/