Best Value on a sander

Review by kshipp posted 01-12-2009 12:34 AM 4679 views 2 times favorited 18 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Best Value on a sander No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I have had this sander for almost a year now and have used it on a few projects. I was just working on a rocking horse project (link coming soon) and was reminded how much I like this tool.

I originally got it for the oscillating spindle and just figured the oscillating belt was a bonus feature. The belt is probably the feature I use the most and it has come in handy numerous times. The table came almost perfectly flat but there are also adjustment screws on the table so you can make it perfectly flat. The table is also adjustable up to 45 degrees with detents at the common angles. This is very nice for cleaning up miter joints or just sanding angled pieces without changing the angle of the piece.

It’s very easy to change back and forth between the spindle and belt or change spindle sizes. Except it’s a left handed thread which I constantly forget even though there are nice icons on the nut explaining that.
The dust collection also works quite good with a shop vac connected to it. There is an impeller below the spindle and other vents to suck down the saw dust.

The only problem I have had with it is finding the correct size belts and drums. I found both of them at Harbor Freight actually and the the drums were decent quality. The belt was really poor quality though. The seam was raised so it would ‘thump’ the wood every time it went around. I returned it and am looking for another source for the belts since HD doesn’t seem to carry them.

I paid $200 for this at HD and couldn’t be happier.

Ridgid Link

Home Depot Link

-- Kyle Shipp, http://battleshipp.blogspot.com

View kshipp's profile

kshipp

View BarryW's profile

BarryW

#1 posted 01-12-2009 12:41 AM

I need more tools…this looks like a great sander….I have some sanding tubes for my drill press…but they don’t oscillate…and they seem a bit small to me…I use them…but control seems more problematical. I’ll put this one on my list.

-- /\/\/\ BarryW /\/\/\ Stay so busy you don't have time to die.

View motthunter's profile

motthunter

#2 posted 01-12-2009 12:58 AM

I have one and love it. It is not for industrial shops.. but for meit is perfect and not expensive compared to other tools

-- making sawdust....

View Julian's profile

Julian

#3 posted 01-12-2009 01:27 AM

I’ve had one of these for 4 years. It works alright pretty well, but the tracking spring needed to be replaced 2 years after I got it. All in all, it was worth the money.

Are you sure that the HD near you doesn’t carry the belts? HD is where I have always bought mine.

-- Julian, Park Forest, IL

View Steelmum's profile

Steelmum

#4 posted 01-12-2009 03:51 PM

I also own this sander. I love it. I have a hard time changing back from the belt sander, so I just use the spindles. I own an older craftsman belt/disk sander and use it too.

-- Berta in NC

View bayouman's profile

bayouman

#5 posted 01-13-2009 04:13 PM

I have the same model and love it. Has performed as promised and I use it on almost all of my projects.

View mmh's profile

mmh

#6 posted 01-14-2009 05:33 AM

I have this sander also and I like how quiet it is to run. I also had problems with changing the belt gizmo, as it would lock up and give me a Heck of a hard time to remove, so I’ve had to purchase a separate belt/disk sander and keep this one as a spool sander.

-- "They who dream by day are cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night." ~ Edgar Allan Poe

View Dave44's profile

Dave44

#7 posted 01-15-2009 01:00 PM

I have had one of these for a few months. I used it on some band saw boxes for Christmas. I have found that if you put talcum on the sleeve tube, the replacement tubes go on better. One source for the sleeves in toolsnow.com since the local HD does not carry them.

-- Dave North Carolina

View Built2Last's profile

Built2Last

#8 posted 01-20-2009 11:56 PM

I have the same sander (GOT A DEAL ON A DEMO AND HD FOR 139.00) and after I finally used the belt, it gets a lot more use than the spindles. Toolsnow.com has ryobi sleeves in a pack of 6 for only $1.00 , but all they have left is 50 grit. These are really good, long lasting sleeves. At one time they had 150 grit also. They also have some ridgid sleeves of different grits for something like 80 cents for 2 depending on the size. You can wear the 50’s down a little and get a pretty good finish and when new they are aggressive. I sold close to 2000 of the ryobi sleeves all over the world and never got a complaint. When I sold all the 150 grit I had the 50”s didn’t sell as good so I moved on the selling other items. As of today they still had the 50’s and the loose ridgid.

View sIKE's profile

sIKE

#9 posted 01-21-2009 06:19 AM

Klingspor is the place for your sanding needs. They should have anything that you need.

-- //FC - Round Rock, TX - "Experience is what you get just after you need it"

View tooldad's profile

tooldad

#10 posted 01-21-2009 06:42 AM

If you are using the belt, be sure not to sand on the narrow end around the curve. Several of my students did this while building the adirondack chairs and wore out the spring on the end, and the tracking would not work after that. If you sand on the large end of the belt when sanding curves you can pretty much use it as both a belt and spindle at same time if not too close to a wall. Unfortunatley we only use it as a spindle now due to the spring mechanism. I agree with other post, definitely not an industrial tool, however it has held up for a year other than the spring issue in freshman shop class.

View Bob #2's profile

Bob #2

#11 posted 01-21-2009 07:18 PM

I wonder if the spring might have held up werr it not a freshman shop class.
Shouldn’t be that difficult to put in a new spring . I haven’t looked at mine and it’s about 6 years old.

Maybe I should pick up and extra spring.

Good unit for the $

Bob

-- A mind, like a home, is furnished by its owner

View bob101's profile

bob101

#12 posted 01-22-2009 07:20 AM

I have the same one and have had it a few years and it gets some seriouse use and its never let me down an awsome tool( but i still want an 80 or so inch stationary belt sander)

-- rob, ont,canada

View GuyB's profile

GuyB

#13 posted 01-26-2009 07:25 PM

I have had this tool for a couple years and love it! My HD had replacement spindles right next too it so I picked up some then. I never use the belt sander as I have a couple machines dedicated to that job. All in all good tool!

View Matt's profile

Matt

#14 posted 03-05-2009 03:33 PM

I picked this up at the wood show. They gave 20% off in discounts and mail-in-rebates. For $160.00 is was a no-brainer for me.

I sure hope it’s easy to find replacement sleeves and belts when the time comes. Might start shopping for spares now.

Glad I’m not the only one who loves this thing.

-- Matt - My Websites - http://www.bestinwood.com - Hand Tools :: http://www.workshopgarage.com - Small Shops

5387 posts in 1978 days

#15 posted 09-02-2009 04:39 PM

I have also had mine for about a year now, and use it to death. It is mounted on a Central Machinery stand / mobile base, but it spends all its time right next to the band saw… Never so much as a hiccup, and I am stunned that in all this time I have not needed to replace a sleeve or a belt. Not sure why they are holding up so well, but they are!

Replacement belts and sleeves are readily available at all 3 Home Depot stores near me.

I too got it for the oscillating spindle feature, but ended up falling in love with the belt function.

Dust collection is as good as can be expected. It doesn’t catch everything, but it is close enough for horseshoes as it were…

There is a GOOD REASON you see this sander in so many shop tours. And I bet if you ask owners of this tool they will gloat about it. I haven’t met anyone that is dissatisfied with their EB4424. They did a bang up job with designing and building this thing.

O.P. Could you please link the Harbor Freight item #s for the sleeves? I am pretty sure folks will want that info…

-- My workshop blog can be found at http://daves-workshop.blogspot.com