SOMMERFELD 6 Piece Router Bit Set

Review by MikeSpanky posted 06-21-2015 05:47 AM 6110 views 0 times favorited 7 comments Add to Favorites Watch
SOMMERFELD 6 Piece Router Bit Set No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

Never thought I’d be ordering such an expensive router bit set as this. That was until my wife and I began talking about new kitchen cabinets. I knew kitchen designs as well as methods for building them had changed since I last built a set for mom and dad over 25 years ago. It was when I began my research on YouTube that I saw how much things had changed. I had seen raised panel doors in the big box stores and loved the look. But to tackle A job like this I would have be out quite a bit of money for a bit set, good router and table. Needless to say we bit the bullet.

I watched several of Mark Sommerfeld’s videos on YouTube and soon was hooked. Now I’m a skeptic about most things. I always look at things with an open and pessimitic mind. “Could it really be as easy as he makes it seem,” I thought. Well I want to tell you what I discovered about this particular set.

SIZED MATCHED
The bits are for 1/2” collets. Sized matched just as Mark says. For instance, use the round over stile and rails bits you only need set the height on one. The other will match perfectly. I also found the 3-1/2” raised panel bit to be matched to the same height as the rail and stile bit. The only bits where I veered from this setting was the drawer edge and door edge bits. I simply adjusted to where the door looked its best.

SHARPNESS
I did some test runs on shop cabinets (you can see them on my page). Yes I built several with raised panels. Not having experience with this method I felt before we head inside the house I needed a trial run. And now have some some nice looking shop cabinets I’ll must say. After two upper cabinets and two lower, the bits are as sharp as when I started. Pulling them from the case they came in is where I have to be careful because they are extremely sharp.

Now to my concern. Our new kitchen cabinets will be of hickory. The shop cabinets were made from pine. So I kept asking myself, “how many cabinets sets before I’ll be sending off for sharpening?” As everyone knows hickory is one of the hardest woods there is. But then what eased my mind was a certain cabinet maker who revealed that I could feasibly get 8-10 full sets of cabinets before having to sharpen. After I see for myself, I’ll update on this later.

STORAGE
The two sets of Sommerfeld bits I own both came with a small, very well made, wooden boxes to store them in. The holes made to set bits in are wrapped with rubber and serves to stabilize the bits and separate them from themselves.

DESIGN
The kitchen cabinet set I own is the Cove version. Mark also sells this in the ogee version. The curves and grooves have been delicately planned out. The doors I made have a beautiful look to them.

CONCLUSION
If you’re looking for a router bit set that stays sharp, this set does. The largest bit, the 3-1/2 raised panel bit, must be turned to a slow RPM for running. For best results I took three passes on them and wow, the doors turned out awesome looking. So don’t be afraid to purchase any of Mark Sommerfeld’s tools, especially this set. His quality is exceptional.

-- There's no crying in woodworking. Just measure and cut again.

View MikeSpanky's profile

MikeSpanky

View waho6o9's profile

waho6o9

#1 posted 06-21-2015 02:22 PM

Thanks for the good review.

View Woodmaster1's profile

Woodmaster1

#2 posted 06-22-2015 10:27 AM

I have the shaker raised panel and cabinet making set and they are great. Sommerfeld’s hinge jig works great for the euro hinges.

View sneakywmns's profile

sneakywmns

#3 posted 06-26-2015 02:50 PM

Very nice one !

-- Do your best in every time, that's solution to expect for your life. Mon site de code promo : http://sneaky.fr

View MarkTheFiddler's profile

MarkTheFiddler

2068 posts in 2273 days

#4 posted 06-26-2015 09:59 PM

Howdy Mike.

Do you mind me asking what the price point on these bits are?

-- Thanks for all the lessons!

View WoodNSawdust's profile

WoodNSawdust

#5 posted 06-26-2015 10:23 PM

I have several sets of bits from Sommerfeld they all perform well. I have the raised panel set with roman ogee.

As long as the stock is straight, flat and square it really is easy to make a panel door with these bits.

-- "I love it when a plan comes together" John "Hannibal" Smith

View MikeSpanky's profile

MikeSpanky

#6 posted 06-27-2015 08:56 PM

MarkTheFiddler – I think this set currently is about $260 US.

WoodNSawdust – it sounds like Mark’s bits are all quality. I will be buying the glass door set and the angle set for my cabinets in the near future I’m sold on them.

-- There's no crying in woodworking. Just measure and cut again.

#7 posted 07-20-2015 03:16 PM

Nice, I have a few of his router sets and have had no issues with them. There still going strong.