Ridgid TS2400LS table saw I can't do without.

Review by scrollworkman posted 01-11-2009 11:26 PM 10106 views 0 times favorited 17 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Ridgid  TS2400LS table saw I can't do without. No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I have owned my Ridgid portable for two and half years and now the brushes need replacing. This will be a two week wait for the parts to come in. I will borrow my Dad’s 60 year old Sears table saw while I wait.A life time warranty does not make up for quality.I don’t recall my father’s saw needing repair and if it did the parts were readily available. I love the portability and performance of the Ridgid TS2400LS but I would prefer a two for one deal over a life time warranty . There too much down time between repairs.The dust problem shouldn’t be an issue. All table saws should be unpluged and cleaned each day for safety reasons.

#1 posted 01-12-2009 12:09 AM

I guess I better start cleaning out the dust that isn’t there at the end of the day in my Delta Contractor’s tablesaw.

View Zuki's profile

Zuki

#2 posted 01-12-2009 02:00 AM

My TS2400LS has been a great machine for almost 3 years.

I see yours is blue with 4 wheels . . . mine was orange and had two wheels. yours looks much nicer. :-)

-- BLOG - http://www.colorfulcanary.com/search/label/Zuki

View JerryS's profile

JerryS

#3 posted 01-12-2009 03:48 AM

My jointer bed is bigger then that car .

#4 posted 01-12-2009 05:18 AM

The car can transport the Ridgid TS 2400 LS and average 45 mpg . That was the reason for posting the photo of our tool hauler.

View HallTree's profile

HallTree

#5 posted 01-12-2009 07:44 AM

I just looked at a photo of the TS 2400. That looks like a very Smart tool hauler but I do not see how the TS 2400 can fit inside

-- "Hold on to instruction, do not let it go; guard it well, for it is your life" Solomon

#6 posted 01-12-2009 06:42 PM

The stand has to be removed and placed in the passenger seat and the saw lays in the luggage area with room to spare.

View HokieMojo's profile

HokieMojo

#7 posted 01-12-2009 08:07 PM

Its amazingwhat can be fit in a car. Amateur woodworking doesn’t have to requirea pickup truck. I can fit a decent sized stack of 9 ft boards in my civic. If I’m willing to cut a plywood sheet, I think I could fit 2×8 ft sheets.

On a side note, I’ve got the same saw and it was a huge step up from my craftsman contractors saw ($150 new). Someday I’ll have a nice 5 hp model, but for the next 30 years, I’ll just keep dreaming.

#8 posted 01-13-2009 10:03 PM

Hokie, you bought a Craftsman Contractor’s saw for $150 new ? Are you sure thats what it is ? and not a benchtop saw ? I can’t believe how many people say they have a Contractors saw when they have a benchtop saw or a jobsite saw, it absolutely amazes me.

View 8iowa's profile

8iowa

#9 posted 01-13-2009 11:04 PM

Woodchuck:

Is it the car or the saw that needs new brushes? Jus kiddin.

Seriously, I think one is ahead of the game by purchasing stationary power tools powered with induction type electric motors.

-- "Heaven is North of the Bridge"

View HokieMojo's profile

HokieMojo

#10 posted 01-13-2009 11:27 PM

Woodchuck,
I think you’ve got me. I think I have a benchtop. I was under the impression anything that is not a cabinet saw was a contractor saw (mobile stand meant to be hauled to different locations). Thanks for the correction. I guess both my saws fall under the benchtop model, but the ridgid is WAY nicer.

#11 posted 01-14-2009 12:29 AM

Hokie, I think the RIDGID TS 2400 LS a portable Jobsite saw. Your old saw, the Craftsman, was probably a Benchtop. I know it might all get a bit confusing because before the DeWalt and Bosch portable jobsite saws came out, Contractor’s saws were used alot on jobsites. But there are some pretty big differences between a Jobsite saw and a Contractor’s saw. And to confuse us even more, Rockwell in their early years use to make a Builders saws, which is now what is known today as a Contractor’s saw. So now we go from Benchtop saw, to Jobsite saw, to Contractor’s saw, to Hybrid saw ( which there are several variations of ), an then to Cabinet saw.

View spaids's profile

spaids

#12 posted 01-14-2009 06:53 PM

is that a picture of the replacement motor ridgid sent you?

-- Wipe the blood stains from your blade before coming in.--

View Chuck B's profile

Chuck B

#13 posted 01-25-2009 03:00 PM

I also have the Rigid TS 2400 the orange one. I like it but I do have a problem with it burning the wood & also I don’t like the fact that it doesn’t have a splitter.

Chuck

-- Chuck, Mostly a woodturner

View NeoDon's profile

NeoDon

49 posts in 2096 days

#14 posted 01-28-2009 04:15 PM

I also have the Rigid TS 2400 LS , so far so good , only had it for about 4 months now.
So time will tell. Mine is the orange flavor. Yum, plus with Vitamin C.

View mnguy's profile

mnguy

161 posts in 2088 days

#15 posted 03-05-2009 10:32 PM

To 8Iowa’s point, one of the advantages of heavier, stationary equipment is induction vs. universal motors. Heavy, quiet, long-lasting, no brushes. Of course, the motor on my Jet contractor saw weighs almost as much as my entire Craftsman job-site saw, so it’s a tradeoff.

Maybe your Ridigid’s wore out after not a lot of use, but brushes wear out on every universal motor. One issue with Ridgid seems to be lack of inventory on replacement parts in general. I have their 4330 planer, and it’s a nightmare finding replacement blades. The Ridgid site is alway out of stock, and they’re going for 1.5 – 2 times retail on Ebay.