Great cutting bits

Review by DKV posted 06-20-2015 07:48 PM 3747 views 0 times favorited 9 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Great cutting bits No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I bought this set of drill bits because I was always needing a bit a tad larger or smaller than the bit I had available. This is a set from 1/16 to 1/2 inches by 1/64th. It’s the “by 1/64th” that I bought the set. Now I can easily go a tad bigger or smaller. The bits cut very clean holes entry and exit but all new bits probably do. The real test comes after a year or so of use. These bits get 4 stars until I see them holding their edge after a year’s use.

-- This is a Troll Free zone.

View DKV's profile

DKV

View Grumpymike's profile

Grumpymike

#1 posted 06-21-2015 07:26 PM

Unfair test ”The real test comes after a year or so of use. These bits get 4 stars until I see them holding their edge after a year’s use.”
The true test would be of how many hours of use does the tool stay sharp.

I was curious as to the life of the different manufacturers of router bits and their claims of longer life.
So I log booked the actual running and cutting hours of each bit.
(I quit the test after I realized how little time each of my bits actually run and cut in a 6 month time.)

“Ya get what ya pay for” is the bottom line here, Cheap tools will work fine a time or two. Quality tools will last me the rest of my life.

Irwin tools are a good utility grade tool and the amount that you use them will determine the life …
My 2 cent advise? ... buy a Drill Dr. to go with any drill set … or if your good enough you can sharpen them on a grinder … like planes and chisels drill bits will need to be sharpened every now and then.

-- Grumpy old guy, and lookin' good Doin' it. ... Surprise Az.

View Woodknack's profile

Woodknack

#2 posted 06-23-2015 05:50 AM

I have an old Craftsman set by 64ths from some dinky size that looks like a sewing needle up to 1/4”, then it jumps to 32nds up to 3/8”. I think, it’s something like that. It’s one of those things you use all the time but never really look at too hard. Anyway I’ve been thinking of buying a new set and will take a look at these.

-- Rick M, http://thewoodknack.blogspot.com/

#3 posted 06-27-2015 03:28 AM

What have you drilled with them to rate 4 stars at this time ?

View DKV's profile

DKV

#4 posted 06-27-2015 03:32 AM

Dusty, hard maple, walnut, red oak and poplar. I used a drill press, advanced slowly, used a backer board and in all 200 plus tests the entrance and exit holes were clean and neat. Now I have to see if they hold their edge.

-- This is a Troll Free zone.

View SapDruide's profile

SapDruide

#5 posted 06-29-2015 09:59 PM

Thanks for that review DKV, I guess I’ll invest a bit of money in these ones.

View NiteWalker's profile

NiteWalker

#6 posted 06-30-2015 12:09 PM

These are good bits. I’ve had them for a few years now and they stay sharp so long as you don’t abuse them.

-- He who dies with the most tools... dies with the emptiest wallet.

View marc7101's profile

marc7101

#7 posted 07-03-2015 11:55 AM

looks like very good bits, but would like to see after a year’s use if they’re still sharp and checked for run out in drill press.

-- Marc- http://www.thediyhubby.com/drill-press-reviews/

View WoodNSawdust's profile

WoodNSawdust

#8 posted 07-03-2015 01:12 PM

Thanks for the review!

As stated the real test is how long they last. Please update us as time progresses.

-- "I love it when a plan comes together" John "Hannibal" Smith