An Old Master

Review by DannyBoy posted 2030 days ago 5249 views 1 time favorited 3 comments Add to Favorites Watch
An Old Master An Old Master No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I happened across a suggestion for this jig in a modern day Arts and Crafts furniture book. I was surprised that I found an old tool like this suggested there since usually books like that are full of merchandise someone paid to have put in there.

Anyway, I found one on Ebay and paid about $32 with shipping to have it in my hands. Then, I stuck it in a drawer. And it got covered in dust. Then it was shoved to the back of the drawer to make room for some inferior Craftsman screw drivers. Then I almost forgot about it.

Well, last night I finally got up the thought to use it. This is the kind of tool that makes you wonder what the heck happened to American tool makers. The jig is simple to figure out with or without instructions. All of the pieces are very specifically crafted. The guide for the drill bit is generously long. In short, I love this tool!

One piece of advice if you use this: This was meant to be used with hand powered tools. I attempted to use a drill with a Dewault 3/8” bit (which I also like) and it wasn’t pretty. The torque rips the guide tube up and way from the work piece. Luckily, I had a brace and bit with a 3/8” (#6) augur bit. I put that in and it worked perfectly.

Pros:
——
  • Heavy duty constructions
  • Large clamp space for different sized boards
  • Easily aligned markings
  • Rules and guages are stamped into the metal
Cons:
——
  • Not good with power tools (this may be a pro if you are the right person)
  • No guide for the adjoining hole

If you are lucky enough to have one of these, then use it. If not, there are a few of them around on ebay and garage sales. Don’t pass this one up!

~DB

-- Chesapeake Bob, Southern Maryland

View Tom Landon's profile

Tom Landon

#2 posted 2030 days ago

I have never had a problem using mine with twist bits or a powered drill motor. Actually the faster the twist bit turns the cleaner the hole. There were two Drill bit “stops” supplied with the doweling jig over the years. I suspect you may be trying to use the auger bit stop with a twist bit and that might explain why you had better luck with an auger. (I just looked back at your photos an note you do have the bit stop designed for use with twist bits in both pictures.)

To use the jig, lay the boards flat on the bench and make a tick mark across the joints where you want the dowels. On the jig there is an index mark that you line up with the tick mark prior to clamping it tight. When you finish drilling the first hole to a depth half the length of the dowel (plus 1/8th or so) you reposition the jig on the other board an repeat the forementioned steps. Add glue, drive the dowel home, position the mating piece over the other end of the exposed dowel and clamp it tight. The only caution would be to not use to much glue since that might prevent the dowel from seating all the way in. I have actually seen the wood split near the ends of a board from the hydraulic pressure created by trying to compress the glue as a liquid. To apply the glue in the holes I find the best applicator to be two pipe cleaners folded over each other in the middle.

Haven’t used to many dowels since biscuit jointers came out since the biscuit holes are so much faster to index and drill. Dowels still have their uses yet, especially when repairing older furniture.

-- Tom Landon, Lakeland, Fl. When you're through learning, you're through.

View Tim Dorcas's profile

Tim Dorcas

#3 posted 2023 days ago

I bought this on E-bay to help fix my Father-in-law’s chair for $25. The intention was to resell it when we were done. This doweling jig has found a permanent spot in my shop. It’s incredibly easy to use and works along side my Dowelmax. I have to disagree about the power tool portion however. I use mine with my electric drill every time without incident.

Nice review!

-- www.craftedbytim.com - A Woodworking & Renovation Blog & www.craftedbytim.com - I make. You buy.