Lee Valley Veritas 'lipped' HSS Wood Drill Bits

Review by NZSixNine posted 06-16-2015 07:32 PM 4834 views 1 time favorited 7 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Lee Valley Veritas 'lipped' HSS Wood Drill Bits No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I selected three of these – the two-hundred dollars for a complete set in 64’s was out of my range.

As other reviewers noted, they are SHARP. Thus, be careful removing the plastic covering they ship with – I cut myself pulling it off the half-inch bit. As well, if you purchase individual bits – as I did – have a case ready fr them or plan on building one to protect them. Don’t use them in wood where nails may be present – as I did – for once you screw-up the lips the bit is worthless!

I’ve tried a variety of Brad Point Bits and nothing found to date can beat these drill bits in woodworking. Get them when you’re young if you want to use them enough to pay back the cost and don’t have an heir interested in carrying on your work!

Lovely bits. I’m ordering the full set tonight – I deserve it.

Details:

Starting with a top-of-the-line American-made twist drill, we reshape and sharpen the tips on a state-of-the-art Swiss CNC grinder. Made from high-speed steel, the bits are not subject to burning, and stay sharp about 10 times as long as carbon steel bits.

The polished flutes give superior chip clearance, and the sharply defined lips have a slight negative rake angle on the lip tips to score the hole perimeter for clean entry and smooth sidewalls. Equally important, these bits are extremely accurate in diameter.

Bits from 5/64” to 3/8” and all metric bits are shanked to size.

Bits from 25/64” to 1/2” have 3/8” dia. shanks and bits from 9/16” to 1” have 1/2” dia. shanks.

All are jobber length bits, with overall lengths varying from 2” with 1” of fluting for the 5/64” bit to 6” with 3-3/4” of fluting for the 1/2” bit. All bits over 1/2” are 6” with 3” of fluting.

View NZSixNine's profile

NZSixNine

View Dutchy's profile

Dutchy

#1 posted 06-17-2015 06:52 PM

You are lucky that you can order this drill bits from HSS for such a nice price.

-- https://dutchypatterns.com/

View RPhillips's profile

RPhillips

#2 posted 06-19-2015 11:57 PM

Thanks for the review. These are in my list… one day… one day…

-- Rob - Indianapolis IN - Learning... one mistake at a time...

View Arlin Eastman's profile

Arlin Eastman

#3 posted 06-20-2015 12:27 AM

I got the 7mm and 10mm when they first got them and I like them. I think they work as good or better then the Colt and they are cheaper too.

-- It is always the right time, to do the right thing.

View Andre's profile (online now)

Andre

#4 posted 06-21-2015 06:13 AM

Went in and picked up the 7 and 12 drill sets, double 1/4” will come in handy. They are very sharp and drill a beautiful hole!

-- Lifting one end of the plank.

View DKV's profile

DKV

#5 posted 06-22-2015 03:58 PM

Just ordered the complete set. I’m holding you responsible, based on your five star rating, for my satisfaction.

-- This is a Troll Free zone.

View mnguy's profile

mnguy

#6 posted 06-23-2015 02:34 PM

I have the set in 64ths, and these are truly impressive bits. I don’t have enough use to gauge durability, but the quality of the grind is fantastic. They are well worth the money.

View DKV's profile

DKV

#7 posted 06-30-2015 06:52 PM

Just ordered the complete set. I m holding you responsible, based on your five star rating, for my satisfaction.

- DKV

Tomorrow we find out if you owe me $200…

-- This is a Troll Free zone.