Great flush-cut saw

Review by BinghamtonEd posted 06-15-2015 02:23 PM 4203 views 1 time favorited 20 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Great flush-cut saw No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I’ve owned this saw for about 2 years now, and have been really pleased with it. I’ve used it for tasks ranging from flush-cutting hardwood dowels to trimming baseboard molding back in place to fit a heater. Just yesterday I used it to flush-cut some 1/4”x1/4” white oak filler strips. It’s still cutting well and very sharp. If this breaks, or wears down, or someone walks off with it, I will definitely go buy another one. I’ve tried a few dovetails with it, and it works, but I more prefer the feel of my Veritas DT saw for those. This saw has definitely exceeded my expectations.

Oh, and it’s only $8.

View abie's profile

abie

#1 posted 06-15-2015 02:31 PM

Perfect..
I own two ( One not used yet) and use it constantly for flush cuts.
works on the pull stroke and is worth the price.

-- Bruce. a mind is like a book it is only useful when open.

#2 posted 06-15-2015 02:34 PM

As I was writing the review, I began to think that for $8 I might just go get another one. The one I have seems to disappear for a week or two at a time.

View Robert Brown's profile

Robert Brown

#3 posted 06-15-2015 03:48 PM

Ditto almost word for word what abie said. I have two. One not used yet. The other used for flush cuts. Bought first one a few years back. Bought 2nd about a year later for a backup.

View cutmantom's profile

cutmantom

#4 posted 06-15-2015 04:36 PM

I have two as well, I have used it to cut door casing and jambs when doing hardwood flooring and hit some nails, it still cuts but I bought the second one for a backup, I only paid 6.99 I think

View MrRon's profile (online now)

MrRon

#5 posted 06-15-2015 05:39 PM

Amen to all the comments. Harbor Freight has it’s gems and this saw is one of them.

View bbasiaga's profile

bbasiaga

#6 posted 06-16-2015 02:48 PM

I have looked at this the last few times I was in there. Been thinking about it, but will definitely have to pick one up now.

Thanks,
Brian

-- Part of engineering is to know when to put your calculator down and pick up your tools.

View paxorion's profile

paxorion

1107 posts in 1948 days

#7 posted 06-16-2015 03:55 PM

Thanks,
Brian

- bbasiaga

Same here. Been needing a flush cut saw and have been on the fence about this HF saw or another (Shark saw or Veritas). Read this review and pulled the trigger yesterday and got this HF saw.

-- paxorion

View Richard's profile

Richard

1916 posts in 2592 days

#8 posted 06-16-2015 07:59 PM

Amen to all the comments. Harbor Freight has it s gems and this saw is one of them.

- MrRon

This saw is great , it comes sharp and pretty much stays that way unless you really abuse it.
It’s true that not All HF tools are junk , Just like not all Higher Priced tools are good. You just have to check them out and touch them and you should be able to pick out the good from the bad.
I Shop at HF and also at HD and Lowes and Woodcraft and Rockler and even the Local Flea Market , they all have their place for finding good tools as well as Junk .

View DaleM's profile

DaleM

#9 posted 06-16-2015 08:32 PM

I’ve had mine for over ten years. It still works great as a flush cut saw and comes in handy any time I need a clean cut with a thin kerf. I have thought about buying one as a backup too in case they quit selling them, but not sure if I’ll ever wear this one out.

-- Dale Manning, Carthage, NY

View Scott Oldre's profile

Scott Oldre

#10 posted 06-16-2015 09:24 PM

I have one too. I’ve used the HF to cut perfectly sized fret slots for the one and only guitar I’ve made. The kerf was perfect and like everyone says it cuts very nice. I’ve found though that I like the sharpness and thinness of the Vaughn Bear Mini for most other things.

-- Scott, Irmo SC

View dustyal's profile

dustyal

#11 posted 06-16-2015 11:31 PM

I have similar comments as the others. My saw does have a problem of loose blade In handle. Easy fix if not so lazy.

-- Al H. - small shop, small projects...

View Rick_M's profile

Rick_M

#12 posted 06-17-2015 04:43 AM

BTW, these are carbon steel blades and can be resharpened, that’s why they cut so well. They are also the perfect thickness for cutting fret slots.

-- http://thewoodknack.blogspot.com/

#13 posted 06-17-2015 12:49 PM

Luckily mine is not loose, because I’m also a member of the lazy club.

BTW, these are carbon steel blades and can be resharpened, that s why they cut so well. They are also the perfect thickness for cutting fret slots.

- Rick M.

See above, I’m lazy, I guess. With the number of teeth and the small size of them, I’ll just be spending another $8 if mine gets dull. Maybe the dull one gets delegated to trimming branches or something.

View Robin1's profile

Robin1

#14 posted 06-17-2015 04:15 PM

Been looking to get one and wasn’t sure. Bought it yesterday- thanks for the tip!

View Richard's profile

Richard

1916 posts in 2592 days

#15 posted 06-17-2015 07:42 PM

Luckily mine is not loose, because I m also a member of the lazy club.

- Rick M.

See above, I m lazy, I guess. With the number of teeth and the small size of them, I ll just be spending another $8 if mine gets dull. Maybe the dull one gets delegated to trimming branches or something.

- BinghamtonEd

I joined that Club a few years ago myself , need to take a break from it for a while though .