New Replacement Cartridge

Review by JimWhip posted 06-10-2015 12:49 AM 4595 views 0 times favorited 27 comments Add to Favorites Watch
New Replacement Cartridge No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I have owned a Pennstate Industries DC2V3 since 2011 and have been very please with it since then. This is my second dust collector from PS upgrading as my shop grew. The original canister on the DC2V3 lasted 4 years when I noticed it started to leak dust around the top edge. I called PS dust collector expert Bill and his initial response was that it should not leak, they should last a life time. After I sent him photographs of the canister he said that PS would replace the filter free of charge.

I was surprised and glad PS would stand behind their product. The next day Bill called me back and some what embarrassed and said he could not do that. He would give me a good deal on a replacement, $150.00, cost me $189.xx after shipping.

Installed the new filter and through the old one in the trash. Noticed the new filter was leaking from the get go in about 8 places. See photo attached. PS replaced it, no charge, I had to box and take the replacement to UPS, PS included a call tag.

Second replacement also leaked, not as bad as the first, only in about three places as the bottom. Again same scenario as above with returning.

Third filter I received leaked also but not as bad. When I turned on the machine I had back lighting looking around the filter for leaks. I could see dust coming out in several areas. This is supposed to be a one micron filter. One micro measures = 0.0000394.” I don’t think you should see that coming out of the filter. All three new filters were run with just about 4” of dust in the bottom of the bag, no woodworking machines running.

To make a long story short PS has not been very responsive to replacing any more filters for me. This last one has sealed up, from the dust plugging it. I can smell dust in the air when running the machine. I am sorry PS’s products have not lived up to their reputation. Beware of the “life time warranty.”

This experience has cost PS a customer.

#1 posted 06-10-2015 02:10 AM

View Mainiac Matt 's profile

Mainiac Matt

#2 posted 06-10-2015 02:46 AM

That’s a bummer… kind of defeats the whole purpose of having a filter.

Maybe you could seal up the leaks with hot melt glue.

-- I yam what I yam and that's all what I yam

#3 posted 06-10-2015 02:56 AM

That s a bummer… kind of defeats the whole purpose of having a filter.

Maybe you could seal up the leaks with hot melt glue.

- Mainiac Matt

#4 posted 06-10-2015 02:56 AM

Shouldn’t have to do that for the price I paid for it.

View philba's profile

philba

#5 posted 06-10-2015 02:25 PM

Thanks for the review. I would definitely not give up here. Keep on them to honor their promise. Since that promise is part of their value proposition, any one thinking of buying from them should consider your experience.

By the way, one micron is 1/1000 of an inch – 0.001” (or .0254 mm). That doesn’t change your point of not seeing visible dust. I have a 5 micron filter on my Griz DC and don’t see any dust coming out.

View AZWoody's profile (online now)

AZWoody

#6 posted 06-10-2015 02:28 PM

Do you know the source of their filter?

I’m curious who actually makes it for them. I know some of the other companies use Wynn filters for their units.

If push comes to shove, buy a Wynn filter and send Penn State the bill.

#7 posted 06-10-2015 03:44 PM

I am pretty sure PS gets everything on the dust collector from China so the main office here in the US has no control over the quality of the product. Given China’s reputation for quality lately i.e., Lumber Liquidators I am not surprised. I’d buy a replacement filter from another company but I doubt PS would pay the bill. They rightfully should compensate me for the trouble but I won’t hold my breath.

#8 posted 06-10-2015 05:38 PM

They used to get heir filters from Wynn, I believe.
You could try to contact Wynn, if I am correct.

You absolutely do not want to work with filters leaking dust in your shop, this will kill you with cancer of the lungs.

This is serious stuff.
You could talk to PS about this.

From Wynn web site: http://wynnenv.com/filters-for-cyclones/
Cyclone Filter Comparison Chart

These filters fit into two categories:

1. Direct Oneida and Penn State Replacements (physically)
13 Inch 2N230NANO (1 or 2 Gaskets)
18 Inch 62N220NANO (1 or 2 Gaskets) (Oneida only)
The end caps have a shelf for receiving the original ā€œJā€ bolts or our floating draw latches which are used when stacking or receiving a filter pan.

2. Flanged 9L Series
These are most commonly suspended from a do-it-yourself, ceiling mounted plenum. The filters remain in place for cleaning. These are stackable with dust collection choices. A good choice for all non-Oneida cyclones.

View mnguy's profile

mnguy

#9 posted 06-10-2015 09:22 PM

A micron is 0.000001 meter (a millionth of a meter) or 0.0000000394”.

Your friendly anal retentive engineer.

#10 posted 06-10-2015 09:49 PM

The conversion charts I looked at give 1 micron = .0000394 inches. Regardless at these extremely small particle sizes you should not see them coming out of your filter.

b2rtch are you saying Oneida makes a replacement filter cartridge that will fit a PS?

#11 posted 06-10-2015 10:49 PM

Not Oneda, Wynn Filter makes the filters for every body

View runswithscissors's profile

runswithscissors

#12 posted 06-10-2015 11:25 PM

Just a contrarian notion: I think if you backlight dust, you’d be able to see any of it, not matter how fine. Just look at a light beam coming in through your window on a sunny afternoon; you’ll see dust motes floating around. I think you’d have to go to a clean room (like in computer chip manufacturing) not to see dust in the air (if backlit).

Seriously: is anyone claiming to provide a ONE MICRON dust filter? Seems highly unrealistic.

View brtech's profile

brtech

#14 posted 06-11-2015 01:04 AM

woops, that’s .5 micron or LARGER

#15 posted 06-11-2015 01:37 AM

Guys all of the feedback has been great and I thank you. PS will not belly up to the bar so I’m pretty well stuck. As I said earlier this has sealed up but can still smell some dust in the air. I do run an ceiling mounted air filter also and now that its summer doors are open. I’ve got an email in to Wynn to see if they can supply a cartridge and how much. Main purpose was to inform others who are considering a PS system and beware of their claims.

Have fun in your shop and make something great!