Great Jig and Even Better Customer Service - Amazing - pls read

Review by glen posted 06-09-2015 03:30 PM 4227 views 0 times favorited 3 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Great Jig and Even Better Customer Service - Amazing - pls read No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I bought the F3 template to go with my D4R dovetail jig as I was going to have a lot of box joints to build and I thought this would be the quickest way to go, rather than setting up a tablesaw jig, etc, especially since I already owned the D4R.

I set everything up according to the manual, and went to go cut my first test board. Next thing I knew, the guide bushing had rattled free and was destroyed by my 1/2” spiral bit. Hmmm – I guess I didn’t tighten it enough.

I ordered a new E10 bushing from Leigh and gave it another go, but this time I had the same result, plus damage to my jig (see the photo). Fearing that this was going to be a major tool bomb, I wrote Leigh an email pretty much asking “what the heck?”. I was worried I had blown all that money on crap.

Well, the next day Matt from customer support called me (not emailed, but called) and was quite concerned. He guessed that the bit was rubbing against the collar and sent me two new E10 bushings free of charge to try to see if I could find if it was rubbing, and to just make some test plunge cuts without any wood.

With his help, we discovered that the bushing adapter plate that came with my festool OF1400 router was broken – it is made of two pieces and one of the welds had come undone, resulting in the mounting for the bushing to be at a slight angle. With all of the tight tolerances of the Leigh jig, this caused the bushing to rub. Problem solved – except for the damage to the jig.

Well, even though it wasn’t their fault, Leigh sent me a brand new template to replace the damaged one – once again, free of charge. Holy crap! I was kind of mad at festool (and myself for not noticing the problem earlier), but they did not offer any help with respect to fixing the jig (although they did send me a new plate).

Now I’m cutting accurate, quick and easy box joints with no problems. The setup on the jig is quick, repeatable, and accurate. I can bang out a box in just a couple minutes, and since i have over 20 to make, that will make my life easier.

Many thanks to Matt and everyone else at Leigh – they have a great product and stand behind it 100%

View glen's profile

glen

View Scott Oldre's profile

Scott Oldre

#1 posted 06-10-2015 12:24 PM

Always good to hear positive results on customer service from any tool company. Thanks for sharing.

-- Scott, Irmo SC

#2 posted 06-14-2015 06:34 PM

Congrats

-- Norman - I never never make a mistake, I just change the design.

View jonasj's profile

jonasj

#3 posted 12-24-2017 11:40 AM

I been thinking about getting the F3 but I’m wondering if it’s worth the money compared to just the standard D4R Pro I mean it can do the boxjoints out of the box. I know the F3 can do different sizes etc.. but will it be easier with this template or more or less the same?