New worksharp for old chisels

Review by Craftsman on the lake posted 2065 days ago 3008 views 1 time favorited 18 comments Add to Favorites Watch
New worksharp for old chisels No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

In reviving my shop after many years I got a workshart 3000. I used to sharpen my chisels by hand on sandpaper and stones and got marginal results because you really have to work at it to get them the way you want. This worksharp really makes it easy. I mean really easy. Old dull chipped chisels took maybe 15 minutes each and I’ll be able to touch them up in a few seconds anytime I want to now.
The unit is not cheap but not as expensive as some units. I got mine from Sears for $189 but you can find it lots of places for $199. I think it retails for $249. It’s well built and easy to use. The only small quirk I can think of is that some levels of the sharpening paper that comes with it get dull quickly. Then again maybe I’m complaining too soon. I brought a dozen chisels up to speed and some of them really needed some work badly. From now on it won’t take too much wear on the consumables I’d think. Tools like this make woodworking someone like me do and look a lot better than i am in the shop.

Here’s a link to the manufacturer’s promo.

View Craftsman on the lake's profile

Craftsman on the lake

2383 posts in 2072 days

View matt garcia's profile

matt garcia

#1 posted 2065 days ago

I too have a Worksharp 3000. I think it is a phenomenal sharpening machine. No oil or waterstones to check the flatness on. No slurry to clean up, and it always gives me excellent results. I had to adjust the squareness of it when I first used it, but that was just a screwdriver, and lever adjustment! I recently honed a plane iron with it. The manufacturers suggested bevel angle was 25 degrees. The Worksharp 3000 had a preset for that angle, so no measuring! I think this is an awesome tool that every woodworker should try, at least once. One use, and you’ll be hooked!

-- Matt Garcia Wannabe Period Furniture Maker, Houston TX

View teenagewoodworker's profile

teenagewoodworker

#2 posted 2064 days ago

yep i have this too and it works great! use it for all my flat blades. they even have an attachment allowing larger blades to be sharpened on top now

View Brad_Nailor's profile

Brad_Nailor

#3 posted 2064 days ago

Thanks for the review..I have been using guides and sandpaper with only decent results and allot of work. I have been considering getting one of these.

-- http://www.facebook.com/pages/DSO-Designs/297237806954248

View douglbe's profile

douglbe

#4 posted 2064 days ago

I got two of them for Christmas, but, we won’t go into how that happened. I also sharpened a couple of chisels that really needed it. iron planes, and also sharpened my used lathe tools that I aquired. Being able to see what you are doing while sharpening from the underside is great. It was quite easy to get a razor sharp edge on my tools; what a delight to work with sharp tools. Thanks Daniel for your post, it’s fun to talk about our new toys.

-- Doug, Reed City, Michigan

View Tony Z's profile

Tony Z

#5 posted 2064 days ago

I’ll take your second one douglbe.

-- Tony, Ohio

View bfd's profile

bfd

#6 posted 2063 days ago

have it love it couldn’t be easier to use.

View Sac's profile

Sac

#7 posted 2063 days ago

I’ve been looking at getting a sharpener that I can get a true edge on other than a grinding wheel. This looks very economicle. Thanks for the info.

-- Jerry

View northlander's profile

northlander

#8 posted 2063 days ago

I recently picked up the WS3000, I second all the comments on the ease of getting sharp tools. The only gripe I have is the grit of the lapping paper for the back of the blade when sharpening, I may change to a different grit when it get worn out. I’ve done chisels and plane irons and it’s been a dream compared to the hand sharpening on waterstones.

View Built2Last's profile

Built2Last

#9 posted 2048 days ago

I use mine to sharpen my pockets knives, first time I’ve ever been able to sharpen them so they will shave. Can also make my chisels shave. This thing is great!!!!

View NeoDon's profile

NeoDon

49 posts in 2041 days

#10 posted 2015 days ago

I also have it and it Rocks. Really comes in handy when your in the middle of
turning a pen and your turning lathe chisel dulls. It.s fast and good. I am going
to add the leather honing wheel to see if I can get to that scary sharpness that
it gets close to now.

View Loogie's profile

Loogie

#11 posted 2009 days ago

Anyone find a source for generic PSA disc’s with the hole in them for the Worksharp? I can get 6” dics on a roll for a lot cheaper than the OEM Worksharp one’s, but I have to cut the hole myself.

-- Mark

View buffalosean's profile

buffalosean

174 posts in 2022 days

#12 posted 1981 days ago

great system, easy to use. worth the money if you ask me

-- There are many ways to skin a cat...... but, the butter knife is not recommended

View pommy's profile

pommy

#13 posted 1981 days ago

just looked at the price in the uk for this system and is it really worth £189.95

so if anyone wants to buy me one feel free LOL

andy

-- cut it saw it scrap it SKPE: ANDREW.CARTER69

View SCOTSMAN's profile

SCOTSMAN

#14 posted 1981 days ago

I have a slow speed 3 phase sixteen inch horizontal wheel run in an oil bath supplied by a pump the oil really cools the sharpening process down and works great chisels and planer knives hand only come up rezor sharp.Alistair

-- excuse my typing as I have a form of parkinsons disease

View WayneC's profile

WayneC

#15 posted 1981 days ago

That sounds like a beast of a sharpener Alistair. I would think the price is dollars if your were to buy one in the US is closer to 120 pounds. I imagine there would also be a power conversion issue.

Relative to paper use, there is a corse pack they sell that has some lower grit paper in it. It works great if you have to remove a lot of material. I would also like to find a second source of paper.

-- We must guard our enthusiasm as we would our life - James Krenov