Very Capable Budget 20V Impact Driver

Review by CharlesA posted 06-01-2015 05:10 PM 4015 views 0 times favorited 6 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Very Capable Budget 20V Impact Driver Very Capable Budget 20V Impact Driver No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I just finished a putting new decking and railing on our deck (okay, so my son and his friend did a lot of the work). I have two Bosch 12v drivers that I really like for woodworking use, but I figured a more robust tool would come in handy for the deck. I found a pretty thorough review of 18/20v impact drivers at Toolguyd.com—While the Milwaukee, Makita, and DeWalt were all rated really highly, he suggested this Porter Cable was a good budget choice. The prices on the highly rated drivers were, well, high: The DeWalt kit runs about $250—a lot more than I was willing to but into the tool.

But I found the Porter Cable refurb on CPO for $89.99. That’s a deal!

I have not used another 18/20v impact driver, so I cannot compare it to others, but here are my impressions:
  • lots of power: can drive 3-4” deck screws with no problem whatsoever
  • comes with two batteries and a pretty quick charger.
  • pretty balanced. Heavier than my 12v, but that is to be expected.
  • can drive screws very quickly (less than half the time it takes for the Bosch on 3” screws into PT lumber), but will continue to driver them through at slow speeds as well.
Not so great:
  • You have a fair amount of speed control, but I’d like the trigger mechanism to be a bit smoother
  • seems odd that the graphics are wearing off after 10 days (that’s picky, I admit).

I wan’t swear to you that this is the greatest impact driver out there, but for $89.99, it’s hard to go wrong.

View WoodNSawdust's profile

WoodNSawdust

#1 posted 06-01-2015 05:14 PM

Thanks for the review. How many screws would a single battery charge drive?

-- "I love it when a plan comes together" John "Hannibal" Smith

#2 posted 06-01-2015 05:18 PM

That’s a good question, and one I don’t have a good answer for—I just didn’t pay close enough attention. I should have included this in the review: I thought the battery life was good, but I wasn’t blown away by it. With two batteries and a quick charger, I found it convenient enough to swap them

#3 posted 06-01-2015 06:01 PM

BTW, this might even be a better deal, with the drill.

View mandatory66's profile

mandatory66

202 posts in 2036 days

#4 posted 06-04-2015 03:32 AM

Thanks for the review, I have ordered the Kit, checking the reviews on line most of them have a good opinion. Waiting for it to arrive.

View RustyHacksaw's profile

RustyHacksaw

#5 posted 06-07-2015 03:34 AM

I have the kit as well. Have had them 6 months now. They work great, never a problem. With 2 batteries, I have never worried about it. A couple times I have run one down, and the other one always had at least 1 bar, enough to keep working while the other finishes charging… Battery life is not a concern at this point.

I don’t see how a drill/impact could do better than these.

View marc7101's profile

marc7101

#6 posted 06-29-2015 12:05 PM

I have read quite a few cordless drill reviews lately and the Porter Cable is highly rated in most of these reviews. Very good value for money.

-- Marc- http://www.thediyhubby.com/drill-press-reviews/