wow! don't know how i got along without this

Review by teenagewoodworker posted 01-03-2009 11:55 PM 2667 views 2 times favorited 14 comments Add to Favorites Watch
wow! don't know how i got along without this No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

i got this digital protractor for christmas and since i got it i have used it for everything! to adjust my squares, set up tools, check glue ups! it is just a great little tool. so much for burning on the table saw for crosscuts. i found that my good square was 89.9 and thats why i was getting burning. once adjusting it to 90 with the wixey no burning at all! its just wonderful and it helps a lot too. also there are magnets on it that help in tool setup because it attracts to the blade and miter gauge which is a great feature. the accuracy is very needed because over 4 feet 89.9 can really start to become something. knowing that you have an exact 90 is a great thing. you do have to zero it out before every use but that is a simple matter of closing it on a flat surface and pressing the zero button. it couldn’t be simpler! i just love this tool and now that i have used it i can’t live without it.

View teenagewoodworker's profile

teenagewoodworker

View lew's profile

lew

#1 posted 01-04-2009 12:22 AM

Denis

Been looking at one of these. How firmly does the blade lock into place?

Lew

-- Lew- Time traveler. Purveyor of the Universe's finest custom rolling pins.

View jSchrock's profile

jSchrock

#2 posted 01-04-2009 12:48 AM

Glad to see you like it. I’ve saw one but wasn’t sure it was worth it.

View teenagewoodworker's profile

teenagewoodworker

#3 posted 01-04-2009 03:36 AM

the blade locks into place good enough. but i don’t really use it in any applications where i need to lock the blade. mostly its for tool setup and checking things.

View matt garcia's profile

matt garcia

#4 posted 01-04-2009 03:42 AM

I saw them too on a Rockler email. Pretty neat!!

-- Matt Garcia Wannabe Period Furniture Maker, Houston TX

View woodsmithshop's profile

woodsmithshop

#5 posted 01-04-2009 05:58 PM

the Wixey looks like a better deal than the one I bought from Lee Valley, it does not even show a brand name, the blade is on top of the readout window, it has a cutout frame around the readout, the frame blocks the reading for about the first 1 to 22 degrees after that it is ok, I guess that is why I got such a good deal on it,
I think around $30.

-- Smitty!!!

View lou's profile

lou

#6 posted 01-04-2009 07:31 PM

i just got one myself and it works great.

View sedcokid's profile

sedcokid

#7 posted 01-05-2009 12:34 AM

I have one also and you are right it works!!

-- Chuck Emery, Michigan,

View Microsuffer's profile

Microsuffer

#8 posted 01-05-2009 06:21 AM

They are a cool toy with serious use. I put one on my wish list and found one under the tree at Christmas. The manufacturer was kind enough to include a spare battery.

-- "Those are my principals, if you don't like them....I have others." - Groucho Marx

View Festool4's profile

Festool4

#9 posted 01-05-2009 07:50 PM

Mine works fine, but have found more uses for the digital angle gauge and height gauge.

-- Festool4

View Grumpy's profile

Grumpy

#10 posted 01-05-2009 11:24 PM

Interesting tool Dennis. Thanks for sharing.

-- Grumpy - "Always look on the bright side of life"- Monty Python

View Jim Crockett (USN Retired)'s profile

Jim Crockett (USN Retired)

#11 posted 01-06-2009 06:13 AM

I also got one for Christmas since they were on sale at Rockler. Great tool and really useful to align blades, square up assemblies and I’m sure I’ll find more uses as I go along. I also have the Wixey Angle Gauge which has made a world of difference in adjusting my table saw and miter saw blades. Wixey makes some nice tools and their customer service is superb – I had a question about the Angle Gauge and received an email from Mr. Wixey, himself, within two hours!

Jim

-- A veteran is someone who, at one point in his/her life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America," for an amount of "up to and including his/her life".

View BurlyBob's profile

BurlyBob

#12 posted 09-20-2016 04:10 PM

I bought mine to correctly set my Makita CSMS as the stops weren’t anywhere close to accurate. It was a lot cheaper than sending to Makita and paying them $175 for an up grade repair. I’ve found it indispensable.

View lew's profile

lew

#13 posted 09-20-2016 04:46 PM

I have one and use it a lot!

Two complaints a. the battery doesn’t last. I’ve gotten into the habit of pulling the battery after a project is done. and b. the locking mechanism, on mine, is too difficult to set without changing the angle I’m trying to maintain.

-- Lew- Time traveler. Purveyor of the Universe's finest custom rolling pins.

View oldnovice's profile

oldnovice

#14 posted 09-21-2016 03:28 AM

Another must have digital tool!
In measuring lengths, rulers, calipers (dial/vernier/digital) are wonderful but for angles a digital tool it almost a must because long angle cuts turn out disastrous with only minutes of error!

I found this out the hard way trying to make a gap less miter joint across four 10” boards.

Going to get one soon!

-- "I never met a board I didn't like!"