Wonderful Experience at Marc Adams School of Woodworking

Review by IHRedRules posted 05-28-2015 12:57 AM 3881 views 1 time favorited 9 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Wonderful Experience at Marc Adams School of Woodworking No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

This course is a 5 day course on basic cabinet making. Day 1 was spent learning about cabinets and their construction, safety, breaking down sheet goods and doing the face frame. Day 2 was assembling the basic cabinet. Day 3 was work on the door and drawer. Day 4 was assembling the drawer, work on the baseboard trim. Day 5 was the top, back, and any final finishing details. Lunches were provided and were good. Tuesday night also offered a supper for us followed by a slide show of the various instructors creations. I found the pace to be adequate. While most of us in the class were various degrees of beginners, everyone was able to keep up. Safety is a top priority for them. They watched us like a hawk the first few days, but as the week went on, they gave us a little more space once they saw that we had learned to safely handle the machinery. Zane was a great instructor and his assistants Jerry Forshee and Doug Dale are also top notch. The school’s shop is top notch with plenty of high end, modern equipment. I plan on attending other classes in the future, and I recommend that anyone looking for a week of learning and fun should give this school some serious consideration.

View IHRedRules's profile

IHRedRules

View Andre's profile

Andre

#1 posted 05-28-2015 02:59 AM

No better way to learn than from someone who knows what he is doing! As we progress different ways may evolve but as with most of what I have learned so far, the way we see it the first time usually sticks with us a long time.

-- Lifting one end of the plank.

View JAAune's profile

JAAune

#2 posted 05-28-2015 04:01 AM

It is a good school. My annual trip to that place starts next week.

-- See my work at http://remmertstudios.com and http://altaredesign.com

View csi's profile

csi

#3 posted 05-28-2015 06:37 PM

I have made cabinets, but I am not a cabinet maker. I am interested in learning to build custom cabinets for remodeled homes as a sideline business in my early years of retirement. From your recent experience, was the class geared toward those wanting to eventually become professional cabinet makers or toward individuals that want to learn how to properly make nice cabinets? Hope my question makes sense.

View Smitty_Cabinetshop's profile (online now)

Smitty_Cabinetshop

#4 posted 05-28-2015 06:43 PM

I’ve been to the MASW for a weekend Hand Tools class and would also recommend it highly.

-- Don't anthropomorphize your handplanes. They hate it when you do that. -- OldTools Archive --

View helluvawreck's profile (online now)

helluvawreck

#5 posted 05-28-2015 06:45 PM

I bet that you are proud of yourself and should be. Congratulations.

helluvawreck aka Charles

View IHRedRules's profile

IHRedRules

#6 posted 05-28-2015 09:21 PM

- csi

I would say it is geared more toward those that want to learn the basics and build a nice cabinet. Zane has a background in professional cabinet making, so certainly he can answer questions geared more toward the professional side.

View rustynails's profile

rustynails

#7 posted 05-29-2015 01:54 AM

I have been to Marks school for numerous week long classes. The school is a great. If you go on line you can view his schools curriculum for the year. (It changes every year) He gets all the top instructors in the country and some from other countries. You can’t go wrong with a class at Marks school…

View JAAune's profile

JAAune

#8 posted 05-29-2015 04:52 AM

- csi

- IHRedRules

Marc Adams used to run a large cabinet shop before he turned it into a school. I believe Zane was the lead man/foreman of the shop at the time of the transition.

-- See my work at http://remmertstudios.com and http://altaredesign.com

View Kvegas's profile

Kvegas

#9 posted 06-19-2015 08:47 AM

I recently signed up for a cabinet making class at the William Ng school in Southern California. I can’t wait to see what it has to offer!!!