More bowls less shavings

Review by jeffthewoodwacker posted 01-02-2009 03:13 AM 1900 views 1 time favorited 4 comments Add to Favorites Watch
More bowls less shavings No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I was given the opportunity to test out the Steussy 6” bowl saw and I was impressed. I have used several different coring systems to get multiple bowls from one blank but always felt that the cost of most of these would keep most turners from purchasing. Dick Steussy has created an inexpensive tool that gives even novice turners the opportunity to get two or three bowls out of one blank.
The bowl saw has a good handle to hold what looks like sawsall blade on steroids. You mount your blank and follow the simple instructions that are included with the tool. With the 6” bowl saw you should get a blank 5 – 5 1/2 inches in diameter. The 8” bowl saw will give you a blank 7inches to 8 1/2 inches in diameter. From one blank with both tool sizes you have the opportunity to get three bowls – one “parent” bowl and two “daughter” bowls. With a little planning you have several options with your finished bowl design. Now turners have the opportunity to increase their productivity and yield from bowl blanks. The bowl saw reduces wood waste! Price for the Bowl Saw is $39.95 each plus shipping. If you want more information go to www.bowlsaw.com . I found the bowl saw safe and easy to use and give it my highest recommendation.

-- Those that say it can't be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.

View jeffthewoodwacker's profile

jeffthewoodwacker

View Bob Collins's profile

Bob Collins

#1 posted 01-03-2009 02:35 AM

Bowl Savers are to expensive in Australia for the hobbist, this looks like a great alteernative at a good price.
Not a good time for us to buy with the Aussie dollar down against the US dollar but compared to cost of wasted wood is on the want list.

-- Bob C, Australia. I love sharing as long as it is not my tools

View LesB's profile

LesB

1065 posts in 2095 days

#2 posted 01-03-2009 03:00 AM

Interesting but where do you get it? and, I may be a little dense but it is not obvious to me how it works.

-- Les B, Oregon

View Tony Z's profile

Tony Z

#3 posted 01-03-2009 06:37 PM

Pretty cool. I checked out the web site and it looks pretty simple. This looks like something you could make yourself with a welder and a sawzall blade. I may try to make one.

-- Tony, Ohio

View LesB's profile

LesB

1065 posts in 2095 days

#4 posted 01-04-2009 02:56 AM

Found it by Googling “bowlsaw” web page is: bowlsaw.com
Available on Amazon.com or from inventor direct.

-- Les B, Oregon