Loosens wood glue, saved me from my screw up

Review by BinghamtonEd posted 05-26-2015 01:08 PM 3390 views 1 time favorited 9 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Loosens wood glue, saved me from my screw up Loosens wood glue, saved me from my screw up No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I was recently working on a small chest, and after doing parts of the glue up around midnight after a long day, I found the next day I had glued the legs on in the wrong orientation. There was a lot of cursing. The legs were joined using 3/4” deep haunched tenons on the top and bottom, with unglued panels in between, using Titebond III.

I picked one of these up at the BORG for $39. It has 12 selectable temperatures, which I could see useful for the various applications one would need a heat gun for. The manual gives suggested temperatures for a few common applications (loosening wood glue was not one of them). For this, I found that 650 degrees worked best. 850 was too hot and would leave the corners of the wood slightly blackened. I disassembled 6 joints in about 1.5 hours with this heat gun. I was wondering if this would stand up to such an extended period of continuous use, and it didn’t have any issues. The process was by no means quick, but there was a lot of glue surface to get, and it took a while for the insides of the joint to heat up, and a lot of pushing/pulling on the joint.

The chassis (or whatever you would call it) of the gun is made up of yellow plastic. Over the 1.5 hour period, it never got warm to the touch. The gun comes with two different tips to direct the airflow, I ended up using only one, but they both had a good tight fit on the end of the gun. Selecting any of the 12 temperatures is as easy as pushing a button on the back of the gun, and there are LEDs to tell you the current setting. There is also a cool down mode, which you can select, that turns the heat off and the blower on. If the gun is hot and you turn off the power (but leave it plugged in), it will automatically go into cool down mode for a minute or so, which seems smart.

I gave it 4/5 stars. The only thing that kept this from getting 5 stars was that there isn’t a convenient way to set this thing down when you need to use both hands for something else. The directions say to set it upright, I’m assuming this means to set it on the flat part where the buttons are. It is balanced so that it should stay in that position, but the thick cord makes it difficult to keep it there. I ended up just setting it down with the tip off the edge of the bench, since the rest of the gun stayed cool. If this were something I was going to use more often (I hope not to), I would make a stand for it.

-- - The mightiest oak in the forest is just a little nut that held its ground.

View BinghamtonEd's profile

BinghamtonEd

View abie's profile

abie

#1 posted 05-26-2015 02:41 PM

WhenI make a mistake with titebond III and have the space, I place it in the Microwave and heat it for several seconds
It will come apart.

-- Bruce. a mind is like a book it is only useful when open.

View BinghamtonEd's profile

BinghamtonEd

#2 posted 05-26-2015 03:20 PM

Good to know, if I end up making a mistake on smaller pieces, thanks. The pieces I needed separated were all about 14” tall, and either 14” wide, or 24” wide. Plus, I wanted to keep the glued up frame/panel sides together, and just take the legs off.

Definitely never thought about using the microwave, though. I’ll keep that in mind for next time, assuming my wife isn’t around.

-- - The mightiest oak in the forest is just a little nut that held its ground.

View PineInTheAsh's profile

PineInTheAsh

#3 posted 05-26-2015 04:43 PM

Good review.

I’m looking for a good gun and this sounds like just the ticket.

Best,
Peter

#4 posted 05-26-2015 10:06 PM

I’ve had good luck with this gun from HF. We use it at work all of the time, but I haven’t tried to loosen wood glue with it yet : )
Nice tip. Thanks for sharing it with us : )

View Rick  Dennington's profile

Rick Dennington

#5 posted 05-27-2015 06:27 PM

I use the microwave to heat up my bubble gum when it gets hard…set on 13 seconds, it’s really soft, so I can gum it good….I couldn’t do w/o a micro nuker…

-- " It's a rat race out there, and the rats are winning....!!"

View lumberjoe's profile

lumberjoe

#6 posted 05-27-2015 08:11 PM

I have one of these too. I really like it. It heats up fast and cools down fast too.

-- https://pinepointwoodworks.wordpress.com/

View Mainiac Matt 's profile (online now)

Mainiac Matt

#7 posted 05-28-2015 12:42 PM

We use heat guns at work for all kinds of things. They are very handy to have around.

-- I yam what I yam and that's all what I yam

View Combo Prof's profile

Combo Prof

#8 posted 05-29-2015 12:44 PM

Looks like your next project its to make a stand to hold it. i.e. to set this thing down when you need to use both hands for something else. Thanks for the review.

-- Don K, (Holland, Michigan)

View Luddite's profile

Luddite

#9 posted 05-30-2015 04:15 AM

Wow! Being a Luddite we just toss the F.U. onto the fire and curse the technology that could’ve saved us.

Nice job, a bit scary considering the temperature. A question: Does all this intense heat cause wood shrinkage or other problems once you’ve freed the locked joint?

Thanks