Grizzly G0513X2 17" Bandsaw 2HP w/Cast Iron Trunnion

Review by Padre posted 01-02-2009 03:02 AM 9998 views 0 times favorited 20 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Grizzly G0513X2 17" Bandsaw 2HP w/Cast Iron Trunnion Grizzly G0513X2 17" Bandsaw 2HP w/Cast Iron Trunnion Grizzly G0513X2 17" Bandsaw 2HP w/Cast Iron Trunnion Click the pictures to enlarge them

Just received this on Monday. It came via UPS Freight, and I paid $39 extra for the lift gate service. I highly recommend this service since this saw is a beast!

1. It came in one of flimsiest ‘crates’, if you can call it that, that I have ever seen. This saw weighs in at 325 pounds, more like 425 pounds, and this crate was built for maybe 200 pounds max.

2. The email instructions tell you to inspect the crate for damage before signing. I did this, saw nothing, and signed away.

3. Unpacked saw, all parts present and accounted for.

4. Went to assemble the saw today and found that the entire blade guard assembly was shorn off. It actually looks like it was CUT off (see pictures)

So, this is where this review will temporarily end due to broken machinery. I have emailed Grizzly customer service, I hear they are fantastic, but it is New Year’s Day and no one is in. We will see how fantastic they are! My hopes are high.

View MedicKen's profile

MedicKen

#1 posted 01-02-2009 03:51 AM

Nice saw!! I have been looking at Grizz for some time now and figured I would wait until after the first of the year. BAD IDEA as Grizz has raised their prices on bandsaws. Too bad about the broken part but I have also heard good things about their customer service. Keep the review updated please with the progress or lack there of. Happy New Year!

-- My job is to give my kids things to discuss with their therapist....medic20447@gmail.com

View Tomas's profile

Tomas

#2 posted 01-02-2009 05:24 AM

Padre – I have had my eye on the same model bandsaw so I was really interested in your review. I am also interested to see how your problem gets resolved. I know how it feels to get a major piece of equipment and not be able to use it, especially over the holiday weekend. I had a question about the liftgate service – did UPS also move the crate to inside your garage/shop or did you have to move it from the street to inside the building?

#3 posted 01-02-2009 05:44 AM

Tomas,
I had two guys here to help, but the UPS driver put it on his dolly and hauled it up our significant hill into my garage! He was absolutely great. I tried to tip him, but he wouldn’t hear of it. Our driveway is a real bear, and he was very, very helpful.

#4 posted 01-02-2009 06:06 AM

This is a really nice saw. You have been busy this week. Bummer about the blade guard though.

View David A. P.'s profile

David A. P.

#5 posted 01-02-2009 03:09 PM

Thanks for the brief…just ordered my own bandsaw (14”) from Grizzly before New Year’s, should be here soonish (woohoo!). Sounds like the liftgate service is the way to go. Speaking of the new bandsaw, that reminds me I need to go clear some space out for it….

-- David A. P. -- Ars Arboris ("Art of the Tree") -- ArsArboris.com

#6 posted 01-02-2009 05:55 PM

UPDATE: Talked with Ken this morning from Grizzly. Really nice guy. He thinks this part P0513X138 protective cover, although the exploded view in the manual has us both scratching our heads. LOL. He was super nice and is sending me a part which should be here in 3-5 business days. I’ll let you all know when the part comes if:

1. It is the right part
2. It works.

View Dwain's profile

Dwain

#7 posted 01-02-2009 08:51 PM

Padre,

On the three different websites I frequent, I have heard nothing but GREAT things about Grizzly customer service. I am glad to hear they are working with you. Please let us know how things turn out.

-- When you earnestly believe you can compensate for a lack of skill by doubling your efforts, there is no end to what you CAN'T do

View henryj383's profile

henryj383

#8 posted 01-03-2009 09:32 PM

HI Padre, I also bought a Grizzly band saw a 24in. resaw and it came in what Grizzly calls a crate..and it is closer to 1,024 lbs.. The crate will fool you or it did me, it was all there and I was told to check everything over all that did was make the driver a little unhappy but we got past that. The table had a crack in the web on the out feed side, my guess it was a “green” casting and just a stress crack from being machined to soon. I called then and the next after noon I had a new table all 240 lbs of it and got a call just to tell me to let them know if I found any thing else and not to worry about the other table to do what ever I want to with it.
I have to say I can’t complain about Grizzly in any way, just great people to work with..
Good luck with you fix!

-- Daniel of Due West

#9 posted 01-04-2009 03:29 AM

UPDATE Just got this email from Grizzly customer service:
Dear Mr. Elliott,

Thank you for your reply dated January 1, 2009.

I am sorry to hear that some parts of your machine were damaged. According to our records, you contacted us regarding this matter by telephone today. Order #5302050 was set up for the parts you need.

Unfortunately, the part is not in stock at this time. However, we have set up a special request to get the part as soon as possible. I apologize for any inconvenience this may cause you and assure you that we are doing everything possible to get the part in a timely manner.

After the part is secured for your order, it will ship from our Missouri warehouse via UPS Ground. Upon leaving the warehouse, it will take approximately three to five business days for delivery.

If we may be of any further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us. You are a valued customer, and we look forward to serving your future woodworking and metalworking needs.

#10 posted 01-09-2009 12:41 AM

UPDATE:

Received the part today, missing the ruler template, but it went right on and now works great. I called Grizz and they are sending me out a new ruler template.

I am very pleased with this saw, and I am super pleased with Grizzly’s customer service and tech support.

-- Chip -----------http://www.penmanchip.com-----------------Micah 6:8

View juniorjock's profile

juniorjock

1930 posts in 2490 days

#11 posted 01-09-2009 02:58 AM

Good for you Padre…..... I’ve had to deal with Grizzly Customer Service several times (all by email) and they always come through. Most of the woodworking equipment providers are good about things like that. If you find one that isn’t…. you know not to order from them again.
-JJ

View Mark Shymanski's profile

Mark Shymanski

#12 posted 01-09-2009 03:18 AM

You blog here has convinced me to put Grizzly much higher up on my list of places to buy from. Thanks for the post.

-- "Checking for square? What madness is this! The cabinet is square because I will it to be so!" Jeremy Greiner LJ Topic#20953 2011 Feb 2

View kolwdwrkr's profile

kolwdwrkr

#13 posted 01-09-2009 05:12 AM

Poor ol’ boy. I got this same saw, set it up, and was off and running the same day with no problems. The only catch: It wasn’t the saw I ordered!! I ordered the 19” not the 17”. Oh well they gave me a gift card. At anyrate the saw works great and I’m fairly happy with it. Grizzly seems to be pretty good but lets face it, they make a lot of mistakes, granted they correct most of them. Glad to hear that its all coming together.

-- ~ Inspiring those who inspire me ~

View Craig55's profile

Craig55

#14 posted 02-06-2009 05:20 AM

Picked up this saw today at the freight depot (SAIA). Saw looked in great shape, no problems with the shipping crate. The people at SAIA were very helpful, which is great to know when I order more stuff from Grizzly. I see where Grizzly has FREE shipping on this saw starting today, should have waited 2 days. The finish on the saw looks better than the name brands that I looked at before I bought this saw (Jet, Delta), I would agree that the shipping container is not over done, but just good enough. I will fire the saw up this weekend, but so far Grizzly gets my vote on this size saw. I took pictures of the crate as I unpacked the bandsaw, if anyone would like to see how Grizzly packs this saw.

View JerryS's profile

JerryS

#15 posted 03-22-2009 05:26 AM

Hows the saw running for you now , have you done any re-sawing with it ?