SawStop 10-Inch Contractors Saw with 50" rails and 30" outfeed table Assembly

Review by Padre posted 2036 days ago 9515 views 1 time favorited 11 comments Add to Favorites Watch
SawStop 10-Inch Contractors Saw with 50" rails and 30" outfeed table Assembly SawStop 10-Inch Contractors Saw with 50" rails and 30" outfeed table Assembly No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

My saw arrived last week and my sons had to go pick it up at WoodCraft for me since I had shoulder surgery last Tuesday.

Well, I felt good enough yesterday to start assembling my new SawStop Contractors table saw. The first thing I noticed is that it was boxed, packed and labeled very clearly. Each box had what was inside clearly printed on the outside so there was no guessing, no “eenie-meenie-miney-mo” type activity.

I ordered:
10” contractor saw
mobile base
cast iron side extenions
50” Fence
30” outfeed table

1. Each part is labeled clearly.
2. Each part has its own color coded package of assembly parts and tools. I had to supply the wrenches and muscle power.
3. Each part went together without struggle, without modification.
4. Not one sharp edge to cut your arm/finger on!
5. All parts were present and accounted for, and there were even (gasp!!) extra bolts, washers and other miscellaneous connectors.
6. Total assembly time took 5 hours. Most of the time I had my 17 year old adopted son helping me.

All in all this saw went together very easily. All parts are high quality with no sharp edges to cut. The paint/powder coating is thick and tough. At one point I had to turn the stand upside down on my concrete floor, and it came away without a scratch.

The saw comes complete, you are ready to saw as soon as you finish assembly.

I give this saw 5 stars for quality
I give this saw 5 stars for ease of assembly
I give this saw 4.9 stars for instructions; only one error calling for a 13mm wrench when it should have been a 12mm.

-- Chip -----------http://www.penmanchip.com-----------------Micah 6:8

View Padre's profile

Padre

930 posts in 2093 days

View boyneskibum's profile

boyneskibum

76 posts in 2074 days

#1 posted 2036 days ago

Great review, and looks like a great saw. How much did this cost overall (If you don’t mind!). I’m looking at a upgrading my saw and I’m between the delta contractor saw, delta hybrid or the sawstop contractor saw.

-- Always keep a stash of band-aids in your workshop!

View Padre's profile

$89 for the dado cartridge
$29 for the dado zero clearance insert

-- Chip -----------http://www.penmanchip.com-----------------Micah 6:8

#3 posted 2036 days ago

This is a nice review. You have a top quality saw to play with now. I have had one of these on my wish list for some time now.

View Brad_Nailor's profile

Brad_Nailor

#4 posted 2036 days ago

Man…thats one nice looking saw…but thats allot of money for a “contractors” saw..although quality wise it blows away most contractors saws. That is probably how I would have outfitted it also…I guess you cant put a price on your fingers..oh ya I guess you can…$2306.00+tax! Good luck with it..I have looked it over quite extensively at my Woodcraft….if I had that kind of money I would probably buy one too it looks like a great saw..their cabinet saw is even nicer!

-- http://www.facebook.com/pages/DSO-Designs/297237806954248

View Darell's profile

Darell

#5 posted 2036 days ago

You will be happy with this table saw. I sure am with mine. It might “ONLY” be a contractors table saw but it is a damn fine one.

-- Darell, Norman, Ok.

View logndog's profile

logndog

42 posts in 1999 days

#6 posted 1998 days ago

Ive heard these things poping prematurely, and costing 100 buks ech time. For the money…. iiif you needed that type of (mobile saw) then its awesome,absolutly! but if its somthing to stay put in the shop, man i woulda gone with the pm66 (although i have an X5) hands down, i mean, how many woodoworkers do you know that are digitless?? I think thes are GREAT FOR SCHOOLS though. I seen one at house of tools 2 days ago and i had the ferver, WOW hun, look at this…its the thing i told you about, but when i seen the price!!! I think ill try and just be more careful. It is a great looking unit, i mean powdercoated frames?! awesome, and the fit and finish was impressive, so congrats too you sir, youll love this saw. And i would too, just id take another over it.

hope i dont now loose a finger!!

View drbob's profile

drbob

31 posts in 2020 days

#7 posted 1995 days ago

You will be happy to know that ConsumerSearch recently rated the top contractors saw and Popular Mechanics gave the SawStop an award for safety features unique among contractor saws.

If you are interested in reading the review go to Woodworking Tips and Tools

-- drbob at http://www.Woodworkingtipsandtools.com

View WoodSpanker's profile

WoodSpanker

519 posts in 1996 days

#8 posted 1989 days ago

Thanks for that, it is one of the saws I am thinking about purchasing…. I like the whole safety thing they got going on.

-- Adventure? Heh! Excitement? Heh! A Woodworker craves not these things!

View archie18's profile

archie18

127 posts in 2094 days

#9 posted 1984 days ago

I got almost the same saw last week and I agree that the assembly instructions and packaging were the best I have ever seen. Only difference in my saw is 36 ” table instead of 50 inch. Yes, it is a lot of money for a saw but after two near amputations, my wife agreed I needed one. The last injury put me out of commission for 2 months. And it cuts beautifully. I would recommend it to anyone who can afford it. Bought mine at Woodcraft store in Franklin, TN.

-- Robert in middle TN

View Don's profile

Don

26 posts in 1953 days

#10 posted 1901 days ago

I recently bought the same saw with the 36” extension table. VERY impressive piece of machinery! Everything seems to be top quality. Well worth the money.

Only “problems” I’m experiencing are the cast iron extension tables. They are slightly bowed, and I can’t get them flat. SS tech rep told me to begin by leveling them in the middle in lieu of the ends. Tighten the two middle bolts, then use a C-clamp to level the ends and tighten those bolts. They’re better now, but when I run a 4 foot straight edge across the width of the entire table, I find that the far edges of each extention table are high.

Anyone else experience this situation? If so, were you able to correct it?

-- Don

View HokieMojo's profile

HokieMojo

2098 posts in 2332 days

I just wanted to follow up to see if you have any additional thoughts after owning this saw for some time now. I’ve been thinking about this saw but need to do some research. Do you ever wish you went with the sawstop professional?