Carver's Spoon Plane from Woodcraft

Review by SouthpawCA posted 05-24-2015 02:09 AM 3286 views 0 times favorited 3 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Carver's Spoon Plane from Woodcraft No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I purchased Woodcraft’s Carver’s Spoon Plane to clean up the edges on a sculpted chair seat. The first use on black walnut it worked out OK. However, on the 2nd chair seat, maple, the blade broke off. After looking at the construction, you can see in the picture, it appears there is very little metal holding the spoon onto the handle. The metal spoon is very cheap and can actually be bent by hand. It’s not expensive but you get what you pay for.

I finished the job with a pair of Detail Palm Planes that I purchased from Lee Valley. These worked fantastic requiring only some light hand sanding starting with 100 grit to 220.

-- Don

View SouthpawCA's profile

SouthpawCA

View jdh122's profile

jdh122

#1 posted 05-25-2015 12:25 PM

Thanks for the tip. I almost ordered one of these a while back, but all of the reviews I could find for it were negative. Seems like an interesting idea, but execution killed by poor quality.

-- Jeremy, in the Acadian forests

View Joe Lyddon's profile

Joe Lyddon

#2 posted 05-25-2015 06:21 PM

Looks like a COOL TOOL for scooping out chair seats! :)

I used a 60 grit 7” disk on my grinder… seemed to do a good job on it…

View CFrye's profile

CFrye

#3 posted 05-26-2015 12:40 PM

Sorry to hear this, Don. I was given one as a gift. Guess I’ll use it for soft woods only. Maybe it’ll last. Thanks for the review.

-- God bless, Candy