Fine woodworking Archive 1975-2008

Review by a1Jim posted 2029 days ago 5059 views 1 time favorited 5 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Fine woodworking Archive 1975-2008 No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

Hey Gang

I have subscribed to up to 12 different Magazines at one time and My favorite has been Finewoodworking.
I know each woodworker has there own favorite . The truth of the matter is I have complete collections of
Fine woodworking , Fine Home building , Wood , Woodsmith, and woodshop News plus a couple hundred books. If you think that takes up a lot of room your right. When they announced the were coming out with a complete collection of Fine Woodworking on DVD I was sceptical about how they could have what takes up 7ft. on my bookshelf on one DVD. After receiving it in the mail I installed it and was very pleasantly surprised as to how easily you can search any subject in a number of different ways and highlight and print any thing you want. I’ve been a professional woodworker for 20+ years and the only instructor I ever had was Norm and Fine woodworking.
Why buy this DVD when you already have the complete collection ? Number 1 how about room on your bookshelves. Number 2 find what your looking for over the years if I had never done a particular operation or
project I would search Fine Woodworking it was almost always in one of the issues but could I find or find it quickly No. Even with the printed index and later on the on line index It might take hours searching. So I say
if your anything like me as far as searching is concerned It’s worth the investment just to find what your looking for. Lastly there’s the cost It’s kinda of Expensive $ 125 but compared to buying a complete set of Fine Woodwoking if you can find one, lt’s any were between $350-$550 That makes this DVD a bargain. Many times you spend a lot of money for something and find it to be a total disappointment but not with FWW Archive it has been great so good indeed I will buy Fine home building on DVD next . I don’t want to do a commercial for Fine Woodworking but it has a lot of great content on projects, Techniques, tools and more. I would recommend this to any woodworker especially a newbie.

View CedarFreakCarl's profile

CedarFreakCarl

#1 posted 2029 days ago

Good review Jim. I’ve been looking at getting this DVD for some time now. I’m a member of FWW’s website, so they’ve been hammering me with emails on this same subject. With all the info on it, it’s really a steal. Maybe soon!

-- Carl Rast, Pelion, SC

#2 posted 2029 days ago

Hey Carl
I belong to fww.com too I get the same e-mails . I know the DVD works for me I think it’s worth it but I’m a woodworking info nut so you have to see if it works for you.

Happy new year

#3 posted 2028 days ago

Your welcome. It would be hard to carry a collection of FWW on the plane. One thing I forgot in the review is you can change the size of the print . That helps guys in my age group.

View Bob #2's profile

Bob #2

#4 posted 2028 days ago

I got Popular woodworking annuals for 2007-08 and am no a convert to DVD’s.
Fine woodworking has always been a fave of mine but the subscriptions are unreasonalbe up here in Canada. The DVD seems like just the ticket.

Bob

-- A mind, like a home, is furnished by its owner

#5 posted 2028 days ago

Hey Bob
I hope you agree with the I way feel about it if you get it.