Impulse buy review: Porter Cable 12v drill/driver combo has died

Review by Ccl2011 posted 05-23-2015 08:55 PM 3141 views 0 times favorited 2 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Impulse buy review: Porter Cable 12v drill/driver combo has died No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I am reviewing my 12v Li-Ion Porter Cable drill/driver combo. I bought these one day walking through the big box store where they were on an end cap display. At $100 for a set, minus military discount it seemed like a no brained. I quickly read over the cherry picked stats on the box and went off to the register, completely forgetting the grass seed that I had gone to the store for in the first place.

I was in the middle of building a bar project (which can be seen in my other posts) and this seemed like a good addition to speed things along. Until this point I was using an 18v Ni-Cad drill, and hadn’t used a drill and impact driver combo before.

This set was a game changer, the impact driver has a lot of stones, and will repeatedly run 3” drywall screws without pilot holes. It will also fund wood screws very well, and the impact feature keeps it from stripping the head if the screw bogs down.

On average I got about 75-90 drywall screws through 2×4’s on a single charge. I was laminating several boards together into posts for some free standing shelves, attaching shelving and standards, and making a coffee table, and a few other side projects.

This set is light weight and compact, which allows you to get into tight spaces. It also incorporates magnets on the top of the housing and LED’s under the chuck. I found the magnets exceptionally useful, just slap a half dozen pocket screws on top, and go attatch your pieces. It greatly reduced time spent looking for migrating fasteners.

The drill is a little slow compared to 18v big boys, but has its place. It’s great for self-centering bits for hinges and small pilot holes. Anywhere you need to take your time and be accurate. The chuck is not ratcheting, and sometimes slips when holding a 3/8” bit. That’s my only draw back. (Removing one star)

The case is nice for the tool. It has dividers to separate the drill, driver, and charger, there is also enough room left over to hold a few bit sets, extra driver bits, and some screws all in a lunchbox size package.

I would recommend these guys, or any of the similar 12v combos for people who are doing small projects or detailed drilling. They’ll accomplish many tasks up to using a bit larger than 3/8”, a hole saw, or a speedbore. The driver will run any screw you’d like, and I’ve also ran a few lag bolts with it too

For $100 these would be a good initial investment, or an augment to someone who has a large drill and is looking to go in tight spaces.

UPDATE:

The drill driver from this combo broke. I was driving a pocket screw into cabinet ply, and the gearing stripped out.

I’ll post a write up when I get a chance to take it apart, and can photograph what broke.

My viewpoint on this item now, is that for $100 item, a prospective buyer may want to consider a different brand.

View Ccl2011's profile

Ccl2011

View CypressAndPine's profile

CypressAndPine

#1 posted 05-26-2015 02:58 AM

I love my PC battery tools. I’m sure some other brands are better, but my 5 piece set is 6 years old and they all still work excellent other than needing new batteries eventually. You cant beat the utility for price ratio on these. Some of their stuff is really junk, but I also own their full size drill press and it has been excellent also for only $250.

Thanks for the review,

Jacob

-- Cypress Jake, New Orleans

View G5Flyr's profile

G5Flyr

#2 posted 01-24-2016 05:49 PM

Great review. Thanks for posting.

I own these tools too. However, I bought them individually from an eBay reseller and saved some money since I already had the charger and batteries from another PC 12v tool. I haven’t put mine through the paces that Cci2008 has but my batt’s last a good long time.

Per Cci: “Since buying these guys they have become my go to tools for many projects. With the only drawback being the chuck on the drill. If I’m drilling something larger than pilot holes, I’ll pull out the big black and yellow guy.”

Me too. My black and yellow guy has a cord but it’s got enough power to break both my wrists. These PC tools are a nice alternative.

Per CypressAndPine: “You can’t beat the utility for price ratio on these.” Spot on Jacob!

-- G5Flyr