4 star blade for a 3 star price

Review by marcb posted 12-31-2008 02:46 AM 1097 views 1 time favorited 1 comment Add to Favorites Watch
4 star blade for a 3 star price No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I purchased this blade for a few dollars more than a standard cheapish Oldham. For this price it is an unbelievable value. The blade is quite and does both rips and crosscuts with very good results.

I gave this blade 4 stars compairing it to other blades in other price ranges. I feel that this is fair because a $10 blade usually gives you 1 star worth of performance and the only recommendation is to upgrade to a more expensive blade.

Compared to the Oldham blade this is a no brainer, use this. Compared to blades that cost 20-40 dollars more makes it a tough decision. Which is why I chose to mark this as a 4 star blade. 5 star blades cost 5 star money, this however is a 4 star blade for 3 star money.

All test cuts where done with the factory insert on a 1 1/2 HP Rockwell Model 10 contractor saw using a Delta T2 fence and an Incra v27 Miter Gauge.

The first thing that you notice using this blade is that it IS fast, it chews through the wood quickly and does not burn (I had just recently went over the saw with a dial indicator and everything is within ~0.001 of an inch)

I test cut 1/2 and 3/4 baltic birch plywood. “Rip” operations for the plywood (running with the gain of the top ply) where very good, small splintering that cleaned up easily.

Cross cut operations produced about 1/4” of chip out a lot of the time. This is with no prep work (no tape, scoring or anything else normal for plywood cuts) so it is an OK result, but not as good as an 80 tooth blade.

Next I tested with a piece of 2 1/2” square(ish) walnut just under 3 feet long. This is the real test of a blade. Many people find the 1 1/2 HP saws to be underpowered for thick stock.

I only ripped off thin strips of approximately 1/8 to 1/4 inch. After jointing 1 side flat I was able to square up the walnut blank using only the table saw.

The wood ran through the blade quickly and without complaint, limiting the feed rate based on feedback from the saw I would say that his blade rips as quickly as the Freud GLR.

As to the finish, the cross cuts where very smooth and would need almost no work to finish. The rip cuts had somewhat noticeable milling marks. They where faint, but looking over the piece showed them off. It only took about 2 swipes of the ‘ol No 7 jointer plane to produce a smooth edge.

So in the end, if you can find this blade for a good price I would definitely recommend picking one up.

For the beginner on a budget this will give you good results that you can clean up with minimal work, and for the more equipped wood worker I would say that using this for the almost to size cuts would save your expensive blades wear and tear and possibly pay for itself in reduced sharpenings.

View marcb's profile

marcb

1 comment so far

View azor's profile

azor

#1 posted 01-03-2009 06:06 PM

Marc,

I’ve had this blade for over a year or more. The feature I like the most about it is being able to rip or cross cut without having to change the blade for most of my work.

Dick

-- It isn't as easy as the demos make it seem.