Review of Bosch 4100-09 saw and stand

Review by Ccl2011 posted 05-23-2015 08:29 PM 6572 views 0 times favorited 5 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Review of Bosch 4100-09 saw and stand No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

PLEASE EXCUSE THE PICTURE, LUMBER JOCKS REQUIRED ONE. I AM AWAY FROM HOME AND COULDN’t RUN OUT TO THE GARAGE TO SNAP A SHOT.

I am writing a review of my Bosch saw after a few months of use. I bought this saw last November after my Ryobi saw up and died during a project. I looked at several saws in the $600-$800 range and narrowed it down to four options. The Bosch and DeWalt jobsite saws, and the Delta and Ridgid contractor saws.

My requirements were in a realativly compact saw that would work well for making furniture and assorded cabinets. I am in the military, so size and weight were an issue too. Since I move regularly, and have a weight limit on household goods, the saw needed to be fairly light. I automatically excluded the lower end jobsite saws in the $200+ range.

Though all four saws mentioned above are within $600 the Bosch seemed the most versatile of the two jobsite saws. Though it was smaller than the Ridgid and Delta, it seemed capable of handling sheet goods, and making fine cuts.

My saw arrived while I was away at work, leaving my wife to wrestle the 100lb box into the garage. When I got back around Christmas time, I was able to set it up.

Right out of the box this saw’s alignment was dead on. I did not have to adjust anything, not even the fence. The gravity rise stand took about 40 minutes to assemble and attatch the saw. I quickly installed a Freud combination blade and set to work making a cabinet for my garage.

All my test cutting and finessing the scale on the fence was done while sizing the plywood pannels. I had to move the scale and cross hair twice, and it’s been accurate ever since.

The saw went through the sheet goods at a reasonable rate. I had no problems with it bogging down, or excessively tearing out the stock. Even after the project when ripping hardwood blanks for a buddies lathe, this saw easily worked its way through the cut.

So far this saw has cut out two cabinets, about 60 blanks for the lathe, a dartboard cabinet, and a few other odd pieces.

features:

The throat plates are the old style thick ones. Not the new 3/16” sheet metal you see on most low priced saws. You can also make your own ZCI’s.

The dust shroud below the table and around the blade made hooking it up to a shop vac easy, and effective. The blade guard seemed to help too. It didn’t shoot too much dust back at me infront of the blade. Using the saw inside with a craftsman vacuum, I had very little dust to contend with. And not too much fine dust building in the garage. I would still recommend wearing a mask while cutting since the blade will be putting off a plume of fine dust in your direction while operating.

There is a little yellow disk in the table for marking the kerf. I have never had a saw with this feature before, but it was intuitive to figure out and use. A .5mm pencil and a ruler allowed me to mark both sides of the kerf. You can erase and remark your kerf when you switch blades. This proved to be great for cross cuts, I could quickly line things up without setting stop blocks to the fence.

The fence has tracks on all sides where you can slide a hex-bolt in and attatch sacrificial fences, stop blocks, feather boards, and various jigs. This is a nice feature also seen on some competitor saws.

The miter gauge is decently sized for a jobsite saw, and more robust than most of the competition in the jobsite class. I used it for a few cross cuts, and bevels without issue. The miter slots are large enough for an aftermarket miter gauge, which is an investment on almost all saws.

Finally the stand, I really like this stand. It easily drops the saw down then you can lift one end just like a hand truck. You can easily maneuver it around and park the saw wherever you’d like. Also when the saw is set up, you can tilt it on its wheels and adjust its position. This makes it very easy to adjust and place it against the outfeed table.

Conclusion:

Overall I am quite pleased with this purchase. It has it’s limitations, but cuts very well and is a rather versatile for its class of saw. I think I’d be hard pressed to justify replacing it with a bigger contractor or hybrid saw, and it can hold its own against bigger saws.

So far I’ve fed it 2x lumber, sheet goods, oak, cherry, and hard maple. With a good feed rate, a decent blade, and dust collection this saw performs exceptionally well.

The only addition I can think of are an aftermarket miter gauge, and adding a dust separator between the saw and the vacuum.

I’d definitely recommend this saw over the similar DeWalt because of its versatility. The DeWalt appears to be limited, and mostly designed for ripping. I’m sure with a little love and tweaking the DeWalt is a good contender.

I know these Bosch saws have been out for a while, but hope this can help anyone who is limited on space and looking for a solid performer. If I ever decide to go with a bigger saw, I’ll be sure to post which one and why.

View Ccl2011's profile

Ccl2011

View Hawaiilad's profile

Hawaiilad

#1 posted 05-24-2015 05:27 AM

Glad you like the saw. Great review by the way. I have owned and used this saw for several years and still like it allot. Helps in building our new house and in the shop.

-- Larry in Hawaii,

View paxorion's profile

paxorion

#2 posted 05-24-2015 02:19 PM

Great review. Can’t go wrong with a jobsite saw that dots the landscape.

I considered both the Bosch 4100 and my Dewalt DWE7491 when I was looking and settled on the DWE7491. Both are very capable saws with some differences. The Dewalt has a nice repeatable rip fence (which you eluded to as designed for ripping). Both have equally sized cast aluminum tables. The Dewalt benefits from a recent re-design with a more user friendly separate riving knife and guard design (with dust collection) and is easier to align (when necessary. I’m really hoping Bosch makes more changes to this saw line instead of just focusing on their new REAXX saw. Competition is always a good thing.

-- paxorion

View Lumberpunk's profile

Lumberpunk

#3 posted 05-25-2015 04:05 AM

i have had this saw for 5 years, I found the fence to be painful and the noise excessive. That said I think when it was set up nicely it left a smoother cut than my King contractors saw. But the Biese fence on the King and the extra HP have relegated the Bosch to off site work. Good saw but I would be hard pressed to give it 5 stars.

-- If someone tells you you have enough tools and don't need any more, stop talking to them, you don't need that kind of negativity in your life.

View jshroyer's profile

jshroyer

#4 posted 05-27-2015 02:15 PM

i got the saw to start. I really hated it at first. i was having so many problems and i was new to table saws. I had only ever used a top of the line sawstop before. I now have a unisaw for my main saw in my shop then the bosch still for other items that i want to cut in the garage. I really like it now. i wish i would of gotten the add-on’s that are for larger panels. i really hate cutting large sheets of plywood still.

-- http://semiww.org/

View Ccl2011's profile

Ccl2011

#5 posted 05-27-2015 10:42 PM

Thanks for the responses, sorry it took a while to get back. I’ll try to post my rebuttals in a friendly manner.

Praxion,
I did look at the DeWalt and was intrigued by the rack and pinion fence. I am a fan of it, but the wanna be T-style with slots seemed more versatile. Same as I stated above regarding feather boards etc.

yes a bosch redesign would be great, but it looks like they’re going after sawstop

How do you like the D/C blade guard?

Lumberpunk,

I can agree that the saw is loud but Dont notice it more than any other tool with plugs or muffs. Sorry about your fence troubles, I have never had an issue with mine.

Hawaiilad,

thanks for your reply. Keep on liking it.

Jshroyer,

glad you came to terms with your Bosch. Alas I do not have the space for a unisaw, nor am I making enough things to really justify it… Yet

. As far as the extensions for the Bosch go, I bought the side one only. I jammed up an outfeed table out of 2×4 and plywood that nudges against the back and is ~1/4” below the table saw. I’ve fed it plywood using the outfeed table before, and it’s robust enough that the saw can’t tip back for any reason.

Generally I’ll break down plywood with a skillsaw. I’ll pull the saw away from the table, shim the plywood up 1/4” and run the blade through the gap between the outfeed table and the table saw. This method does make it a pain to crosscut a whole sheet, but hey better than nothing.