3 PHASE DISK SANDER POWERED BY A TECO VFD USING A SINGLE PHASE 240V

Review by Jagerheister posted 05-21-2015 04:12 PM 3638 views 2 times favorited 8 comments Add to Favorites Watch
3 PHASE DISK SANDER POWERED BY A TECO VFD USING A SINGLE PHASE 240V No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I purchased a MAX UNIVERSAL 3-PHASE 18” pedestal disk sander at an online auction. I decided to use a variable frequency drive to power it instead of a rotary phase converter, or buying a single phase motor.

I purchased a TECO FM50 VFD.

This video shows the Un-boxing, product review, installation, and operation. More specifically, it shows how easy it is to wire up VFD, and how easy it is to use. I also mention some determining factors in choosing a VFD, and provide tips on wiring..

This video also provides a review of the MAX UNIVERSAL 18” pedestal disk sander.

Please subscribe, and like. There should be more product reviews and instructional videos coming up soon.

View ScottKaye's profile

ScottKaye

683 posts in 2099 days

#1 posted 05-22-2015 10:29 AM

interesting video. I had no idea that phase converters could be that small. About how much did that converter cost? It may change my mind on purchasing 3 phase machines for my single phase home.

Scott

-- "Nothing happens until you build it"

View jakep_82's profile

jakep_82

#2 posted 05-22-2015 04:19 PM

Just for clarification the part number is FM50, not FD50. Factorymation sells a version of this VFD rated for 3HP for $196.

#3 posted 05-23-2015 02:36 PM

Yea, I’ve passed up many a great deal on 3phase machines because I thought the wiring aspect of it was insurmountable… Rotary phase converters, using capacitors, etc… Forget all that…

You can see that these VFD’s are barely larger than a switch box. It took me about 30mins to do the wiring…

I paid $167.00 plus $10 shipping. Its rated for 2hp 7.5 amps.

Good catch on the typo.

View dhazelton's profile

dhazelton

#4 posted 05-25-2015 12:08 PM

I have a vintage Delta 14 inch two speed band saw with riser block and a big ass Delta lathe – my total cost for both was $100 because they were three phase. can I run both machines (one at a time of course) from one VFD?

#5 posted 05-25-2015 01:40 PM

I’d recommend getting a discreet VFD for each machine.. There are ways to run multiple machines, but unless the 2 motors are Identical, your overload protection will be sketchy. Also, it will be a hassle programming and setting up the VFD when you switch it back and fourth. Also, you wouldn’t be able to have custom settings for a specific machine if you were using one VFD.

I’m not an expert by any means. I would call the people at factorymation.com and get their opinion.

View catalytic's profile

catalytic

#6 posted 06-12-2015 10:18 PM

Nice sander! I’m looking at an almost identical one and have a question for you. On your sander, there is a knob under the table tilt wheel (probably to lock the table tilt wheel so the table doesn’t tilt accidentally). I have never seen this on a max sander and it’s not in the photos in their catalogues, but it seems like a nice feature. Do you have a picture of it?

#7 posted 06-14-2015 12:51 AM

Yes, there is a nob on the left side to lock down the table to keep it from rotating.

#8 posted 06-14-2015 12:56 AM

You can see the nob in this picture…

Hope this helps.