More Than Worth the Money

Review by Tomcat1066 posted 12-31-2008 01:20 AM 7598 views 0 times favorited 10 comments Add to Favorites Watch
More Than Worth the Money More Than Worth the Money No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

While wandering through Lowe’s, I saw this bad boy just sitting there with a $30 price tag. Since I found myself in no position to own a table saw for the foreseeable future, it looked like it would solve one of my biggest problems: how to rip boards down.

The Accu-Rip attaches to your circular saw with two small screws located at the front of the guide. It takes a bit of time to get it set right, because it’s edge must line up with the blade just so, but once it does, it works like a dream. On the other side (and clearly visible in the closer picture above) is the edge guide part. You simply line this up with the desired rip you want, lock it down, and go to town.

I could go on a long diatribe and try to make this look more impressive, but the fact of the matter was the thing works. I was able to rip down each board with no problem. In addition, this puppy makes it possible to rip thin strips that you wouldn’t want to try to do free hand.

In addition, it makes the same cut over and over again, something that is hard to do without a jig of some kind. It’s 24” capacity allows it to handle 4’x8’ pieces of plywood or MDF without a problem.

The kicker is that the guide doesn’t impede crosscuts in the least, unless you use a guide of some type. In that case, simply remove it and let it run.

I have to admit, I was very surprised at how well this thing worked!

-- "Give me your poor tools, your tired steel, your huddled masses of rust." Yep, I ripped off the Statue of Liberty. That's how I roll!

View DaveH's profile

DaveH

#1 posted 12-31-2008 01:40 AM

Looks like a cool idea.

Link to the craftsman accu-rip

-- DaveH - Boise, Idaho - “How hard can it be? It's only wood!”

#2 posted 12-31-2008 01:41 AM

Thanks Dave! I didn’t even think about linking to the product. Thanks for doing that for me :D

View Beginningwoodworker's profile

Yep, Lowes. ;)

View Doug S.'s profile

Doug S.

#5 posted 12-31-2008 03:15 PM

I’ll give it 4 stars. It works in a pinch and pretty well, but I think using a clamp on straight edge guide is a bit better.

-- Use the fence Luke

#6 posted 01-01-2009 12:04 AM

Doug,

Perhaps. But for me, I like the idea of just taking it from one board to another without having to line up anything and make the exact same cut. With a clamp on guide, you have to line up the guide rails and get them just so before cutting. With this, you just go to the next board and go to work.

Of course, this is also one of those things where there is no “wrong” answer, just different ones ;)

View Woodshopfreak's profile

Woodshopfreak

#7 posted 01-01-2009 11:33 PM

Cool, I need one of those.

-- Tyler, Illinois

View Doug S.'s profile

Doug S.

#8 posted 01-02-2009 02:58 PM

Tomcat
which one I prefer to use depends on whether I’m after a finished edge or not. The staright edge clamp gives me a straighter cut. The little hook on the Cman guide will follow any local dings or wallows in the edge, so the cut line will end up the same. If the edge you’re following is rough, that hook can hang up a bit as well, and try to make the whole thing act like a trammel arm and start angling your cut until you snug it to the edge again. Just for busting up sheet stuff for final cutting on a table saw, it’s super quick and easy.

-- Use the fence Luke

#9 posted 01-02-2009 10:53 PM

Doug,

Fair enough. I haven’t used rough lumber yet, and frankly I haven’t found a local source for it yet, so this is ideal for my situation. Everything is already milled straight, so that’s not an issue for me and in my situation.

View keats's profile

keats

#10 posted 01-15-2011 05:58 AM

Find myself in the same situation re: getting a table saw. Thanks for a great review. For $30, I have to at least give it a try.

Cheers!