Rockler 3-Piece Silicone Glue Application Kit

Review by B4B posted 05-20-2015 04:19 AM 3041 views 0 times favorited 7 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Rockler 3-Piece Silicone Glue Application Kit No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I picked this up on a whim. I was looking for an ink roller, or glue roller, and couldn’t find either at a local woodworking supply shop. I did find this gem and for $15 I figured I’d give it a try.

I’ve used it a couple times now, and both times I intentionally left the glue dry on the brush/applicator/tray and it came off as advertised.

As for longevity, only time will tell.

-- There's two routers in my vocab, one that moves data and one that removes wood, the latter being more relevant on this forum.

View B4B's profile

B4B

View pauljuilleret's profile

pauljuilleret

#1 posted 05-20-2015 10:38 AM

I have had a set of those for a little over a year now they are great. at first I was afraid that the little goobers at the end of the brush would teat off when cleaning it once the glue had dried but have found that isn’t the case at all in fact to me it’s easier to let it dry and pick the whole glob of dried glue off than try to wash the thing out. the same with the pan just a twist of the pan and it all comes loose. great idea.

View philba's profile

philba

#2 posted 05-20-2015 12:36 PM

These are worth having. I have several silicone brushes including the rockler short stubby one. I like that better than the longer ones that woodcraft has. Rockler puts the brushes on sale every so often. I also have the woodcraft version of the pan and find it less useful. Mostly just as a place to set the brush when it’s goopy.

Also, I like to clean the brush out if I’m going to use it reasonably soon (<12 hrs). It takes a while for the glue to fully dry out, especially during cooler weather.

View Richard H's profile

Richard H

#3 posted 05-20-2015 04:37 PM

I like these silicon brushes a lot and when I don’t use my method of spreading glue of choice which is a my finger I reach for them. Like paul I was concerned at first also about ripping the ends of the brush off with dried glue but they are very secure so it doesn’t seem to be a issue.

The one thing I will say is dried glue is hard stuff and the pieces that come off the tray will cut you if you are not careful. I tend to just turn the tray inside out to break off the glue pieces and end up with something that looks like peanut brittle.

View Brady's profile

Brady

#4 posted 05-21-2015 02:06 AM

I bought one of these on a whim when they were on sale. It is my go-to for any glue ups I need to use. I don’t use the brush much but I use the spreader almost daily.

It is the most used item in the shop besides the PVC clamp racks I use for glue ups.

-- Brady, Texas, http://www.MCShaveGear.com

View timbertailor's profile

timbertailor

#5 posted 05-22-2015 12:17 AM

I also like the glue bottle lids for biscuits and rolling glue on.

The spreader worked well when I was laminating melamine to my assembly table top.

-- Brad, Texas, https://www.youtube.com/user/tonkatoytruck/feed

View RootandBranch's profile

RootandBranch

#6 posted 05-22-2015 01:15 PM

I have some of these. They were a stocking stuffer last Christmas and my first thought was I’d never use them. I was wrong. The collection I got had some small spatula spreaders too which also have come in handy. I’ve used the little brushes often since last December and they seem to be holding up.

-- Don, https://www.etsy.com/shop/RootandBranchGifts - http://facebook.com/rootandbranchgifts

View DeLayne Peck's profile

DeLayne Peck

#7 posted 05-22-2015 07:28 PM

I use the silicon brushes and had trouble loosing “bristles” when the glue dried. Now, I simply drop the brush in a small jar half full of water. After a good soak, I wipe the diluted glue out with a paper towel. My brushes remained like new after a lot of use.

-- DJ Peck, Lincoln Nebraska. Lord, keep your arm around my shoulder and your hand over my mouth.