The Steussy 6" BowlSaw

Review by lew posted 12-28-2008 06:56 AM 2034 views 0 times favorited 5 comments Add to Favorites Watch
The Steussy 6" BowlSaw No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

This is my first tool review at LumberJocks. I received this as a Christmas gift and couldn’t wait to try it out!

The saw worked exactly as advertised. I have the 6” model and was able to create a daughter bowl blank that was 4” in diameter and just shy of 2” deep. (The 4” diameter is a little over the limit of this model- see next paragraph). The wood I was using was hard Maple.

The most difficult part of the entire process was creating the “slot” in the “parent” bowl to allow the saw to make the cut. I used a combination of bowl gouge, scraper and parting tool. Once in position, the saw cut the blank without binding or catches. I have a Delta belt driven lathe and the slowest speed is approximately 400 rpm. For the hard Maple, I think it would have been better to have a slower rpm as the tip of the saw did get quite hot. On my first attempt, I overshot the maximum diameter capability of the saw but was able to pry out the “daughter” blank without any damage. More accurate measurements remedied that problem.

An original concern was that I would not be able to apply enough torque to the saw handle to keep the blade cutting into the wood. This was not the case. The handle is large enough to provide a comfortable grip and apply sufficient pressure in the cut.

I gave the tool 4 out of 5 stars because of the lathe speed situation. It is not the tool’s fault but any one who obtains this should be aware of the need to be able to run the lathe at a really low speed to keep from overheating the tip. Also, when the blade becomes dull, some knowledge of handsaw type sharpening techniques will be necessary.

The saw is available from Steussy Creations, 334 Atherton Ave., Novato, CA. 94945. You can checkout the website at http://www.bowlsaw.com/

Lew

-- Lew- Time traveler. Purveyor of the Universe's finest custom rolling pins.

View lew's profile

lew

View Sac's profile

Sac

#1 posted 12-28-2008 02:13 PM

Thanks Lew. Never even had heard of such a saw. Again thanks for this review.

-- Jerry

View Chris Cunanan's profile

Chris Cunanan

#2 posted 12-28-2008 09:13 PM

danggg, i was unaware you had to have that low of a speed capability to use it, i think my ridgid’s lowest is like 1250 or so, yikes! is this still going to be possible do you think? I also came up on an older 1 speed lathe (no gearing/belts), maybe I could buy one of those $50 speed controllers and slow it down? I’m new to this stuff, and Trying to stay safe! lol

View Beginningwoodworker's profile

Beginningwoodworker

#3 posted 12-29-2008 03:28 AM

Looks nice, Lew.

-- CJIII Future cabinetmaker

View Roper's profile

Roper

#4 posted 12-29-2008 04:57 PM

i just got one in the mail this weekend and i will be breakin it out this week when i get my new load of maple. i’ll let you all know how it goes.

-- Roper - Master of sawdust- www.roperwoodturning.com

View Steuss's profile

Steuss

#5 posted 01-01-2009 12:03 AM

To Chris—If you’re worried about the speed, don’t. My Jet mini-lathe’s slowest speed is 500 and that’s what I use all the time. In over 50 sets, I haven’t burned up a BowlSaw yet. If you do break one, I guarantee it by replacing it or your money back. I use my BowlSaw all the time and love the results I get from it.

-- Dick, Novato