A Trio of Sweethearts.

Review by Ken90712 posted 05-18-2015 10:28 PM 4136 views 0 times favorited 10 comments Add to Favorites Watch
A Trio of Sweethearts. A Trio of Sweethearts. A Trio of Sweethearts. Click the pictures to enlarge them

I have been trying you use hand tools more in the shop. I have to admit, I’m all about the power tools. I have a bunch of friends on here that use and talk about hand-planes in great detail. I have had these 3 for a while now and feel comfortable enough to comment on them.

Reading past posts from fellow Lumberjocks I knew about planes needing a quick sharpening out of box being required. I tested all 3 of these first before sharpening. I sharpened up to 6000 grit after that. I have to say they work really well, so much better than the cheaper ones I have.

Once I had then set up properly the cut like a dream. I know that there are some better ones out there like, Lee Valley or Veritas. So I gave it 4 stars, being part of it might be operator error as well.

Rockler sent me a coupon for 15% off. Being the tool addict I am I bought all three @ $89.00 – 15% = $75.65 ea. So I save 40 bucks on all 3… Good deal I’m thinking. One day I’ll try A Lee Valley or Veritas. But for now I’m Happy with the Sweethearts.

Thx for reading.

View Cedar Furniture Lodge 's profile

Cedar Furniture Lodge

#1 posted 05-19-2015 04:28 AM

Nice, I have been thinking of using more of the hand tools vs power tools.

-- "The Cedar King"

I think ya done good.

View helluvawreck's profile

helluvawreck

#4 posted 05-19-2015 12:55 PM

That sounds like a nice deal.

helluvawreck aka Charles

#5 posted 05-19-2015 05:16 PM

I have the same planes, I like the block planes very much, I am not crazy about the 92, the tenon plane.

View stefang's profile

stefang

#6 posted 05-19-2015 05:40 PM

Kudos for using planes and other hand tools. They actually save a lot of time when used for one off jobs and they are amazingly precise.

-- Mike, an American living in Norway.

View mafe's profile

mafe

#7 posted 05-20-2015 08:59 AM

If you set them up correct, you will be getting as fine results as with the V or L planes, so don’t give that a thought. Trust me I know.
These seems like really fine planes and with this bunch you can do most, especially when working manly with power tools. Train your sharpening skills, this is the holy grale.
Next could be a 4 or 4,5… Smiles.
Best thoughts,
Mads

-- MAD F, the fanatical rhykenologist and vintage architect. Democraticwoodworking.

View Jmcp's profile

Jmcp

#8 posted 05-20-2015 07:08 PM

Hi, I have the same shoulder and 60 block plane, they are pretty decent as you say once sharpened but they are not the most robust, took me 3 block planes before I received one that didn’t have a broken part. I also have the smooth and jack plane, they are ok, especially the jack plane but not sure I would buy the smoother again, just can’t seem to get that set up and stay set up up for very long.

Cheers, John

View 489tad's profile

489tad

#9 posted 05-22-2015 02:07 PM

Ken, I bought the Stanley #62 low angle jack with a coupon from a Woodcraft drawing. I sharpened the iron, the sole was flat and it cuts nice. Your right on sharpness and operator ability. (still working on mine) Amazon sells the 62 at a good price, if your interested.
All the best on the hand tool journey.

-- Dan, Naperville IL, I.G.N.

#10 posted 05-22-2015 11:49 PM

Thx Ill look into it. I just sharpened all my chesils and 8 different planes. I think its time for a machine.