Simply the best I have used

Review by KBC posted 12-26-2008 09:24 PM 10035 views 0 times favorited 16 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Simply the best I have used Simply the best I have used Simply the best I have used Click the pictures to enlarge them

This planer/Molder/Sander/Gang saw machine was pricey ($2,350 or@ $90.00 per month)

It came with a ‘pro pack’ which included:
18-1/8 inch unit 5 hp motor.(220 single phase for blades/110 pinch rollers)
Acc. shaft for mounting gang saws/molding knives(drum sander and planer shafts only require end sets)
Knife holder
Dust chute
Bed board(slick material which allows very smooth working of the material)
Drum sanding kit(drum and 2 different grits of paper/with velcro backing)
2 (700) Saw kits(for gang sawing)
A video(great to learn and see what others do with their machine)
Custom shop booklet
Knife pattern book *(The knife set gauge hasn’t been used as the machine has such precise adjustments and the 2 sets of blades haven’t been dulled enough,1 in the machine and 1 can be returned to the Mfgr,for sharpening)
The 3 knife cutter head is very clean cutting(and the feed rate is adjustable with a feed speed from 0-16’ per minute)Also available is a spiral planing spindle with multiple heads(individual 1” squares),very expensive and someday I will invest in it.
The knives for molding mount on an accessory shaft and with some alignment, the new molding is spotless.
The sanding drum is a difficult mount and operation(so far I have had little success with it)
The gang saw set is truly a money and time saver(can cut from 0” all the way up to 18” and all the numbers in between.Multiple cuts with multiple blades,just imagine the savings when buying roughsawn instead of the brand name stores ‘precut’ lumber!
With the amount of planing we do(all roughsawn ‘recovered’ wood),this machine has been a godsend,well worth the price for the workmanship.
I rated this 4 stars because of the drum sanding kit and difficulty of changing from one accessory to another(at least 30 min once used to doing it)

Toll free-Woodmaster (1-800-821-6651)

View griff's profile

griff

#1 posted 12-27-2008 05:41 AM

KBC , I have the 725 with the same pro package. Have never used the resaw. like you said the drum sander causes the most problem. When i change to the sander I make sure all the set screw dent are filed flat and I use a block under the drum when I`m taking it apart and hold the shaft as flat as possible and use plenty of
WD-40. I have problem with the drum not being parallel to bed plate. keeps tearing up paper.

-- Mike, Bruce Mississippi = Jack of many trades master of none

#2 posted 12-27-2008 04:51 PM

Yes griff(Mike), that is my exact problem with the drum sander also.I thought it might be the way I mounted the paper,maybe not tight enough,or snug enough, to the roller,both ‘pieces’ of paper sent to us have gone to the hand sanding pile,as they have ripped off the drum.

Also the pinch rollers have needed adjustments of late,as they are stopping the forward movement(causing a dip at 3") and again when the wood is almost out (again 3” from the tail)

I am still learning the in’s and out’s as this equipment is very precise and requires a little diligence to master the fine tuning.

View daled's profile

daled

1 post in 2096 days

#3 posted 12-27-2008 07:25 PM

I’ve had the 18” Woodmaster for several years. I bought it primarily for the molding capabilities but have used the planer quite a bit also. Never used the sander or gang saw yet. Two comments from experience. 1) The tech support people at Woodmaster are great – I encourage you to use them. 2) If you’re doing a lot of molding, its well worth getting multiple knives (up to 3) for each high volume molding you want to do. I have two of each of my primary moldings and it allows me to get cleaner cuts at higher speeds.

dale.

View Routerisstillmyname's profile

Routerisstillmyname

#4 posted 12-27-2008 10:54 PM

Onward with drooling ;-)

-- Router è ancora il mio nome.

View Peter Oxley's profile

Peter Oxley

#5 posted 12-27-2008 11:19 PM

I’ve had my eye on these for quite awhile. Thanks for the review!

-- http://www.peteroxley.com -- http://north40studios.etsy.com --

nice piece of machinery

View irishhandyman's profile

irishhandyman

#7 posted 01-01-2009 05:09 PM

As usual I am the odd ball here. I have used that same machine, but highly modified. The shop I worked for used it as a rip saw. We would also use it to make the blanks for our drawer sides before going into our 4 sided molder to finish the drawer sides. We used this machine A LOT. I am talking about a few 100,00 lineral feet. The motor is strong and long lasting. The blades for the saw are long lasting as well. We were cutting everything from Hickory, Oaks, Poplar, Walnut, Ash, and the like. It took several days for the set up and to get the fence, 12’ long, both in and outfeed, to take a board from looking like something that should have been the bottom of a rocking chair, to a straight as a poker piece of lumber. I agree, the customer service staff is top notch. As far as the planer, or the sander I have no knowledge of how well that works. I think part of the success we has was this one was powered 3 phase. Enjoy your new workhorse.

-- God bless the men and women who protect our counrty.

#8 posted 01-01-2009 05:18 PM

I have the Belsaw machine that is the planer. I didn’t buy the rip saw option, but I’ve used the molding cutters.

They are great machines and can do lots of work.

Nice review.

View David Freed's profile

David Freed

#9 posted 01-11-2009 07:22 PM

Something that most people don’t know, and Woodmaster doesn’t advertise, is that you can custom order your machine. I bought the 718 that irishhandyman is talking about. The salesman couldn’t tell me if they could put together a 718 the way I wanted it built, so he got the assembly line foreman on the phone with us to if he could build it. He could, and I’m very happy with it.

If you don’t like the packages they are advertising, then talk to them. They will let you choose the options you want, and leave out the ones you don’t want.

P.S. The reason it took a few days to set it up as irishhandyman said, is because we were setting it up as a straightline rip and had to work out a few bugs, not because of a problem with the machine itself. I had many people tell me that you couldn’t straightline with it, but we got it to work. In this world of lazy, braindead employees that want a paycheck but don’t want to work for it, irishhandyman really stands out. I couldn’t have run my shop without him.

-- David, Southern Indiana

View David Freed's profile

David Freed

#10 posted 01-11-2009 11:31 PM

Here is a modification we did to the dust hood. We only added one hose because most of the cuts from the sawblades were toward that side. If I used it consistently as a planer or sander, I would add another one on the other side.

Dust Hood Modification

-- David, Southern Indiana

#11 posted 01-12-2009 02:11 AM

Thanks for that idea David,now I might have to improve MY planer…:(

I added additional pictures for those who don’t have one of these beauties.

The middle picture is the belt drive for the feed rollers,with an individual tension pulley,the rollers speed is on an adjustable switch,feed rates vary from 0-16 feet per minute.On a 110 motor.

The last picture is the main roller for the planer blades,note there are 2 belts,which are on a 220 motor.

Also note the adjustments for the feed rollers for tension,and the chain drive for the raising and lowering of the main table.The smaller unit I used to have raised the cutting heads,not the table.

View julio13's profile

julio13

#12 posted 01-02-2010 01:43 AM

I do not know now if woodmaster is good brand but 15 years ago I bought no one but two woodmaster planer and they supposed to be the the best planer that I ever had. Also I bought an Makita 2040 planer for outside job. After one month working with the woodmaster the little motor who moved the feed roller broke it up, three months after that the feed roller broke it up, after one year working with the woodmaster the cost for
repair it, it was so much that I decided to sold them for US300. each I my little Makita still working even today and only replaced the feed roller and the carbon brush.

View Al Killian's profile

Al Killian

#13 posted 03-24-2011 09:27 PM

I can say they are great for making moldings, planing and ripping. They however do not do flooring very well. We have the 25” set up with the 3 sided kit for molding and a 8” planer head. We alsohave a 12” setup for ripping. I have found the the sanding attchment is very touchy and we dont use it. Defintly would recomend it for a planer/molder.

-- Owner of custom millwork shop

View Dan Katz's profile

Dan Katz

#14 posted 03-25-2011 04:10 AM

Hi Kbc,
I just acquired a new 718 w/Pro pack. A gift from my Dad. I ordered the hinge kit and the casters.
It took a while to grind the holes in the top so they would clear the bolts that support the feed rollers and I added a 1/4 strip under the hinge brackets to raise the hood a bit making it easier for the hood to clear the bolts on top.
I’m happy with the machine so far. At first test run the planner would not cut. Called Woodmaster and Joe told me to check the feed roller adjustment. One of the springs was a little tight. I think the machine was just a little tight. Seems to be fine now. Have’nt had the chance to try any molding yet. These machine are a little different than what most people a used to, but I think they a stronger than they look. Good luck with yours. Dan

-- VillageCarver,Chattanooga

View Dan Katz's profile

Dan Katz

#15 posted 03-25-2011 04:22 AM

Hi KBC,
Dan again. You mentioned that you might invest in the spiral cutterhead. I’ve heard that some spiral cutterheads can cause a different pattern on the wood which in some cases require more sanding or hand planning.
My next investment will probably be a bigger dust collector as my 1 1/2 Delta does’nt pull hard enough to get it all,
probably because it is servicing my whole shop. I may have to re-route some connectors in the mean time.

-- VillageCarver,Chattanooga