WOW! you can't judge a scraper until you try this one!!

Review by teenagewoodworker posted 2025 days ago 2792 views 4 times favorited 21 comments Add to Favorites Watch
WOW! you can't judge a scraper until you try this one!! No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

All i have to say is WOW!! these are my first LN products and they are amazing i got them for christmas and i love them. with the old ones that i had i would sit there for about 5 minutes just burnishing the heck out of them but i could never get anything more than dust. i opened these up today and took them downstairs to the shop. after a light burnishing for about 1 minute i was getting shavings! Thats right SHAVINGS! i can’t wait until i have some time to properly hone and really give it a good burnishing. these are a great product and like the title says you can’t pass judgment on scrapers until you try these ones. trust me you will love them!

View Rob Drown's profile

Rob Drown

#1 posted 2025 days ago

LN is all about quality. Somebody loves you kid. Merry Christmas. Good Review.

-- The expectations of life depend upon diligence; the mechanic that would perfect his work must first sharpen his tools. Confucius, 经过艰苦的努力的梦想可以成真

View MsDebbieP's profile

MsDebbieP

#2 posted 2024 days ago

A great Christmas for you, then :) I think I see the smile from here

-- ~ Debbie, Canada (https://www.facebook.com/DebbiePribeleENJOConsultant)

#3 posted 2024 days ago

yep, i got a lowes gift card to set up a spray booth, a wixey digital protractor, and a 5 gal bucket cyclone lid. can’t wait to put them to use.

View jim1953's profile

jim1953

#4 posted 2024 days ago

I see that Woodcraft have LN so they are good ones Ha I must get me some

-- Jim, Kentucky

View dennis mitchell's profile

dennis mitchell

#5 posted 2024 days ago

Shavings! I want to get shavings from my scrapper!

View TheCaver's profile

TheCaver

#6 posted 2024 days ago

If you have trouble getting shavings from a scraper, more than likely you are not preparing the edge correctly before burnishing or you are burnishing too hard. Burnishing too hard is the most likely culprit as it was in my case.

Try filing your edge flat, the removing the burr on both sides with a file, then hone the sides with some 400 paper. Lay the scraper flat on the bench and draw the metal outward with the burnisher (you can use a little heavier pressure here, like you are kneading dough or giving a massage).

Finally, put the scaper in a vise and burnish outward at about a 10 degree angle with light pressure (about half that you used before). My recommendation is to go very light for a few passes and try the scraper, then if you can’t get shavings, go a little heavier with the burnisher, repeat.

Remember, the angle of attack of the scraper has a LOT to do with you getting dust vs shavings too….vary your angle on some scrap. The Lie-Nielson scrapers are great, but any thin metal can be made to give shavings, the quality difference is in how long it holds the edge and how flexible the steel is.

Hope it helps!

-- Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known. -Carl Sagan

View Mark D.'s profile

Mark D.

#7 posted 2024 days ago

I have this same set, they are also my only ln tools but they are quality all the way. I didn’t get the leather case for them though. Give them a go on some red oak… I was very impressed with the finish they produced. Merry Christmas! :0)

-- Looking for free wood working plans? Visit us at www.AwlFreePlans.com

#8 posted 2024 days ago

yep they are nice. and TheCaver. I’ve done all that. believe me i’ve done a ton of research and tried every method out there. but none of them worked until i got these.

View BillG's profile

BillG

#9 posted 2024 days ago

I picked up the same scrapers about three weeks ago. They really hold and edge well. I used them for the first time on my recent project (posted today 12/25). The scraper cleaned up the walnut realy well. I made that table for my wife for Christmas. She got me the Lie Nielson low angle block plane for Christmas. Another high quality piece. A couple of minutes of honing and it was making shavings on some tough oak easily.

TheCaver’s recommendations on creating the burr are right on.

-- Bill G - West Springfield, MA

#10 posted 2024 days ago

yep all ln tools are great! i’m looking at acquiring more soon

View Lee A. Jesberger's profile

Lee A. Jesberger

#11 posted 2024 days ago

Hi Denis;

Nice gifts.

Those business card magnets are great to stick on your scrapers to keep from burning your thumbs during heavy use.

Have fun;

Lee

View Chris 's profile

Chris

#12 posted 2024 days ago

Nice scapers and a great tip there Lee!

View hokieman's profile

hokieman

#13 posted 2024 days ago

Now you’ve gone and done it! You are now officially hooked on Lie Nielsen tools. Finest tools on the planet and made right here in the good ole US of A! I have a pair of their scrapers and several planes and they are the Ferrari of wood working tools. There are a couple of videos on line available on card sharpening and burnishing. Check out finewoodworking.com and I think woodtreks.com has something on this as well. Have fun, scrapes are the simplest yet most addicting tools you can get.

View Sac's profile

Sac

#14 posted 2022 days ago

Denis, All of the projects and reviews you have provided over the christmas break is pretty awesome. I have been wanting to get a set of scrapers for some time now. I may just have to get this set and the case.
Thanks so much for the review. I look forward to the day you have your ownT.V. show :-)

-- Jerry

View jcees's profile (online now)

jcees

#15 posted 2020 days ago

Ditto the admonition of theCaver. I can get shavings out of just about any thin flexible bit of steel. Proper prep is all there is to it. After that, it’s finding what bow+angle of attack combination suitable for the material being scraped. Heck, I’ve been scraping softwoods for years. Nobody told me I couldn’t! Then I read that softwoods don’t scrape well and I blinked twice and reread the statement. After all it was advice dispensed via a reputable and distinguished publication. How was I to know?

I’m sure you get my point.

Ditto on the L-N quality too. Good stuff.

always,
J.C.

-- When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest of the world. -- John Muir