Some grits are better than others

Review by Purrmaster posted 05-14-2015 07:16 PM 2599 views 0 times favorited 8 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Some grits are better than others No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

This review is for multiple grits of the 3M “Pro Grade Precision” sandpaper sheets. All grits are red colored and have a sticky back. It appears to be a Home Depot exclusive.

I’ve used a lot of this stuff in the last few months. Since Home Depot got rid of Norton 3X and started stocking this new 3M stuff. It appears to be a stearated, open coat sandpaper.

I’ve used Norton 3X, regular 3M paper, 3M “Sandblaster”, 3M “Sandblaster Advanced”, Gator, and a few other brands.

Overall I’ve been disappointed with this paper. It’s not as durable nor as clog resistant as most of the other stearated, open coat papers. Overall it’s inferior to 3M’s “Sandblaster” and “Sandblaster Advanced” (a Lowe’s exclusive).

One thing I’ve noticed that seems odd is that the durability of the paper appears to depend on the grit.

The 60 grit is about on par with similar papers. 80 grit and 120 grit, on the other hand seem to be quite durable. The 100 grit paper is pretty bad. The 100 grit paper sheds grit and wears quickly. 150 and 220 grits perform about average to slightly below average.

Depending on your needs the sticky backing is either a blessing or a curse. I find it useful but some are going to hate it. I believe that all 3M sandpapers, including their standard issue tan stuff now has sticky backing.

One upside is that these papers come in 4 sheets per package as opposed to 3 sheets per package for many other papers.

Bottom line: If you’re using Norton 3X or another of 3M’s stearated, open coat papers I wouldn’t switch to this. I would avoid the 100 grit if you can.

View Purrmaster's profile

Purrmaster

915 posts in 1999 days

View lumberjoe's profile

lumberjoe

#1 posted 05-14-2015 08:01 PM

I actually like the 220 Pro grade on a sanding pad. It seems to last a lot longer than the klingspor I normally use (which I have no complaints about). However I’m really mad at this sandpaper. I have a Bosch OS50VC half sheet finish sander. This sandpaper and it’s sticky back destroyed my sanding pad.

-- https://pinepointwoodworks.wordpress.com/

View Ripthorn's profile

Ripthorn

#2 posted 05-14-2015 11:39 PM

I used some of this and hated it myself. Lasts 10x less than Norton 3x, and is about the same price that they were charging for it before. I also found the sticky back to not stay sticky for very long at all.

-- Brian T. - Exact science is not an exact science

View AttainableApex's profile

AttainableApex

#3 posted 05-15-2015 01:57 AM

I thought the backing was a rubbery backing on these, really wanted to try it as i love the cloth ones from klingspor. I don’t understand why anyone would put adhesive on the back, pre applied. its pretty easy to adhere a normal sheet to anything really.

-- Ben L

View Purrmaster's profile

Purrmaster

915 posts in 1999 days

#4 posted 05-15-2015 09:21 AM

All of 3M’s sandpapers, as far as I know, come with the sticky back. The sticky backing is there to make it easier to folder over the sandpaper and do detail hand sanding (no block). I actually really like this feature as I’m constantly doing precisely that.

Not everyone is going to love it though, as lumberjoe noted.

The sticky backing isn’t particularly powerful. I think it’s similar to a post it note. And like a post it note the stickiness goes down the tubes if you get dust on it.

View Rick_M's profile

Rick_M

#5 posted 05-16-2015 01:13 AM

Thanks for the review. Reminds me to order some Norton 3X.

-- http://thewoodknack.blogspot.com/

View Albert's profile

Albert

#6 posted 05-16-2015 02:12 PM

3M seems to have hundreds, maybe thousands, of sandpaper choices, I’ve always been happy with their sandpaper (and most other 3M products). I have not used this pro grade with the sticky back but it sounds like a good idea for many applications.
If you’re not happy return it to Home Depot and maybe they will stock something else if they get enough complaints.

View helluvawreck's profile

helluvawreck

#7 posted 05-16-2015 03:35 PM

Thanks for the tip. It was a nice review.

helluvawreck aka Charles

View Richard's profile

Richard

1916 posts in 2596 days

#8 posted 05-18-2015 10:38 PM

I don’t know where they come up with these ideas , If I want a sticky back I will buy the stuff that says PSA. Might have to stick with the Norton 3X if I can still find it.