This is a serious jigsaw!

Review by Shadowrider posted 05-14-2015 12:42 AM 4384 views 0 times favorited 16 comments Add to Favorites Watch
This is a serious jigsaw! No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I just purchaced this saw from Amazon on my Prime membership because my wife wanted some arts and craft projects cut out. They were about 16” x 20” and are going to be painted to look like a Mason Jar. I used 5mm birch ply. I was able to cut two at a time and the saw didn’t even know it was cutting anything. However a 10mm thickness in a pretty tight inside radius was a little too much for the Bosch 20 tooth Xtra-clean blade. I turned it a nice blue oxide color. Oops. So I went to cutting them one at a time with this blade and still had no problem finishing all 6 of them on this same blade.

If you are coming from Craftsman or B&D “run of the mill” jigsaws this Bosch will rock your world. There just isn’t any comparison to those, they are toys compared to this saw.

Pros:
Made in Switzerland and that’s reflected in the overall build quality.
The quick change blade feature is just awesome.
The air blast feature does a nice job of keeping the cut line cleared off so you can see it.
Very smooth running at all speeds.

Cons:
Desperately needs a LED work light and it would be a very nice touch.
They really should have put the speed control up on the barrel grip so you could change it as you are cutting. Not a huge deal at all once you get the feel for the saw and the cutting you are doing.

If you don’t think the barrel grip is for you get the JS470E with the conventional grip. It’s the same saw, only the grip is different. This saw is larger and heavier than I thought it would be which may be an issue for some. I have large hands so it’s not an issue for me, but it did surprise me. Try to handle one in a retailer to see if the barrel grip is too big for you.

Additionally the Bosch blades are just as awesome as the saw and the Xtra-clean wood blades are also made in Switzerland.

I took a gamble on buying this saw online without handling it. I did a bunch of research and it turned out gravy for me. I really suggest you go with a Bosch jigsaw if you are in the market. They are everything everyone raves about them, they really are. I liken them to the new Cadillac CTS with the supercharged V8. Smooth, elegant and oh so powerful…

Edit: I gave it 4 stars for the lack of an LED light. Otherwise it’s 5 stars just on build quality and power.

View Shadowrider's profile

Shadowrider

View paxorion's profile

paxorion

1107 posts in 1951 days

#1 posted 05-14-2015 01:01 AM

I got the same saw back during Christmas. It is one serious jigsaw. Barrel grip does take a little getting used to.

-- paxorion

View dawsonbob's profile

dawsonbob

#2 posted 05-14-2015 01:40 AM

Bosch: ‘nuff said.

-- Mistakes are what pave the road to perfection

View felkadelic's profile

felkadelic

#3 posted 05-14-2015 03:01 AM

I have the D-handle version of this. Great jigsaw. I’ve been considering upgrading to a Carvex to match the rest of my handheld power tools, but I just can’t justify it because the Bosch is so good.

View Rob's profile

Rob

#4 posted 05-14-2015 05:19 AM

I also bought this saw last Christmas, and the side-mounted on/off switch thwarted me on the saw’s first project. “The barrel grip gives you more precise control,” they said. Maybe if you only use the saw on new construction. But when I was converting my kitchen cabinets to accommodate a free-standing stove, I regretted going with the barrel grip over the D-grip. I guess I’ll see if I come to prefer the barrel grip over time.

-- Ask an expert or be the expert - http://woodworking.stackexchange.com

View Rick_M's profile

Rick_M

#5 posted 05-14-2015 06:07 AM

Bosch invented the jig saw, it should be great.

-- http://thewoodknack.blogspot.com/

View patron's profile (online now)

patron

#6 posted 05-14-2015 06:48 AM

got one when they first came out
works like a champ

i did cut the wire in front of the blade off
as i had trouble seeing the cut line thru it
had to use a hacksaw for that
as it is some serious hardened wire

View RogerBean's profile

RogerBean

#7 posted 05-14-2015 12:53 PM

I’ll add one more to the praise of this saw. I have the D-handle as well, but it is indeed a serious saw. Powerful, smooth, and very well made. Hard to imagine one any better. The Bosch blades are also superior.

View WoodNSawdust's profile

WoodNSawdust

#8 posted 05-14-2015 01:13 PM

Thanks for the review. I have one of the “run of the mill” jug saws and will keep the Bosch in mind when it comes time to upgrade.

-- "I love it when a plan comes together" John "Hannibal" Smith

View Kaleb the Swede's profile

Kaleb the Swede

#9 posted 05-14-2015 02:02 PM

i had a cheap one that I barely ever used. I just got the D handle version of this and now it sits plugged in on my bench all the time. I find more and more uses for it. Amazing tool

-- Just trying to build something beautiful

View ksubenny's profile

ksubenny

#10 posted 05-15-2015 12:49 AM

Agree, I have the same one in my garage and I agree with the review, very pleased, LED would be a nice touch but not that important for me.

View BoardSMITH's profile

BoardSMITH

#11 posted 05-15-2015 10:22 AM

The Bosch jig saw I purchased in 1990 still runs and cuts as smoothly today as it did then. Their blades feature individually ground teeth which is why they are so sharp. And, Bosch engineers invented the jig saw in Switzerland in 1947, all the other brands are nothing more than a copy.

-- David www.TheBoardSMITH.com

View BurlyBob's profile

BurlyBob

#12 posted 05-15-2015 06:51 PM

Got one about 10 years ago or so, love it, doubt I’ll ever need another.

View willie's profile

willie

#13 posted 05-15-2015 07:51 PM

I’ve had a Bosch jig saw for over 25 years, it’s still an awesome saw! Wouldn’t trade it for any other saw. It will surely outlast me!!!

-- Every day above ground is a good day!!!

View Lenny's profile

Lenny

#14 posted 05-15-2015 09:45 PM

Nice review. Never thought about an LED light. Got mine years ago because Norm had one! (Just in case anyone doesn’t know, I refer to Norm Abrams of The New Yankee Workshop.)

-- On the eighth day God was back in His woodworking shop! Lenny, East Providence, RI

View Jim Finn's profile

Jim Finn

#15 posted 01-03-2016 07:35 PM

I got this saw in 2011 and like it. It is a lot heavier than I thought it would be. I like the tool-less blade changing with this saw. Very nice feature. The old blade is ejected out of the saw when changing blades.

-- No PHD, but I have a GED and my DD 214