Good value if you can put up with shoddy instructions

Review by Dbhoosier posted 05-11-2015 11:37 AM 9061 views 0 times favorited 14 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Good value if you can put up with shoddy instructions No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

There are plenty of reviews of the G0656 8” 3HP jointer on here, but the reviews seem mixed, so I thought I would add another, since I find this site extremely useful.

THE GOOD:

- It works as advertised. It gets my stock smooth and flat on one side and nicely square.
- Pretty easy to finely adjust the tables and fence.
- Price can’t be beat for length of beds and quality of fence system
- Dust chute seems well designed and picks up the majority of shavings
- On/off switch is large and well-place
- Integrated mobile base is really easy to install and works very well, although I don’t expect to move it much.
- The unit was packaged well and easy to unpack, although it was absolutely doused in grease. Everything seems well-machined and properly flat/smooth.

THE BAD:

- The instruction manual is AWFUL. Absolutely AWFUL. The fence and fence base did not come attached to the jointer when shipped, yet there is no mention at all in the instructions about how to install it on the jointer bed. Either they somehow amazingly forgot this step, there is a separate instruction manual for the fence that they did not include, or the fence used to come pre-installed on the bed and they changed their process without updating the user manual. It wasn’t that hard to figure out how to get it installed, but it doesn’t give you a ton of confidence that it was done correctly other than the fact that it is a simple tool and seems to operate just fine now. Aside from the fence installation, the pictures/figures are not very clear nor are the explanations for each step. Grizzly’s website is very detailed and professionally done, so it is surprising that they put so little effort into their product instructions.
- As noted above, everything is coated in packing grease, which makes a real mess. Instead of just covering the expose cast iron surfaces, they pretty much coated everything, so it is a real pain and takes a while to wipe everything down.

Now that the utter frustration of putting the jointer together is past, I think I will really love this tool. I did some initial milling and it worked flawlessly. Even though the bed is really long, the footprint isn’t too large, and the fence system is fairly compact, which is nice. If the instructions were properly done (maybe I have been spoiled after buying and setting up my Sawstop, which is unbelievable) and easier to assemble, I would give it 5 stars. I am sure there are some things about Powermatic’s 8” jointer that are nicer, but it is hard for me think that they could be that much better to justify the big price difference (just in my opinion), since all I need is square and flat stock, so I really think the G0656 is an excellent value.

View whitebeast88's profile

whitebeast88

#1 posted 05-11-2015 09:48 PM

Thanks for the review.I just got mine on Friday but haven’t had time to assemble it yet.thanks for the heads up on the manual.

-- Marty.Athens,AL

#2 posted 05-11-2015 10:27 PM

Good luck, Marty. Let me know if I just had bad luck with the instructions or if it is a consistent issue. If I can be of any help, just let me know.

Thanks for the review.I just got mine on Friday but haven t had time to assemble it yet.thanks for the heads up on the manual.

- whitebeast88

#3 posted 05-13-2015 01:21 AM

Ha – I recognize that plate setter!

#4 posted 05-13-2015 01:45 AM

Yup – I’m an Egghead! My next project is actually a custom table/cabinet for my XL Big Green Egg… Design is done, just need to find the time…

Ha – I recognize that plate setter!

- Rich Simon

#5 posted 05-13-2015 03:20 PM

My egg table was last year’s project.

#6 posted 05-13-2015 06:16 PM

That looks great! I appreciate you posting pictures of the frame. I have spent a lot of time contemplating mine and thus far have about 20 or so mortise and tenons planned, which will take some time.

My egg table was last year s project.

- Rich Simon

#7 posted 05-13-2015 08:33 PM

Cheated with some pocket holes and did some mortises where important.

View playingwithmywood's profile

playingwithmywood

#8 posted 05-16-2015 05:09 AM

I kind of think if someone needs the instructions then maybe they need to rethink buying a piece of equipment like this in the first place.

I have been happy with mine the first upgrade was a link belt and then a Byrd carbide head

The only negative was some cheap grade screws and bolts but I upgraded them to grade 8 Allen head and now my grizzly in my opinion is just as good as a powermatic with money saved in my pocket

and yes use better push blocks then the ones they ship it with because it contains spinning knifes that can remove fingers as well as wood

#9 posted 05-16-2015 12:45 PM

Well, it’s not my first rodeo and I figured it out, but they wasted my time, which is precious to me. And as you note, these things eat fingers and also have a warranty, so I like to know that I have things set up according to the manufacturers’ specs. If they are going to provide instructions, then make them complete and do them right. When manufacturers cut corners on things like basic instructions, it makes you worry what other corners they may have cut. Not a good customer experience. I think this is a good, simple machine, but it doesn’t t leave me with any confidence or desire to buy more complex machinery from them.

- playingwithmywood

View playingwithmywood's profile

playingwithmywood

#10 posted 05-17-2015 05:02 AM

fair enough… I have time to make things better if it saves me money. otherwise you buy a so called premium brand like powermatic and pay the extra to have the better finishing touches like probably the better manual and directions

View Kelly's profile

Kelly

2025 posts in 2939 days

#11 posted 09-01-2015 11:11 PM

I bought and assembled my G0490X at the end of August, 2015. Apparently, they corrected the omission of the fence installation.

My guard had no tension and I did not find any information on setting it. However, another post on this site mentioned just loosening the upper Allen and turning the top until proper tension pushed the guard over the inserts.

View SDjock's profile

SDjock

#12 posted 01-08-2016 07:59 AM

I have been reading that to adjust the table beds upon setup that you have to use shims instead of a built in cam like on most other brands, was that the case for you?

#13 posted 01-09-2016 06:24 PM

I had to use shims with set up. It was pretty easy to do. I cut pieces of an aluminum can for shims and those worked fine. Took some time get it dialed in.

View TheFridge's profile

TheFridge

#14 posted 01-09-2016 06:40 PM

- SDjock

You’re speaking of parallelogram beds and they cost more then standard which are dovetailed ways.

-- Shooting down the walls of heartache. Bang bang. I am. The warrior.