Ash handrail cut with Yonico router bits

Review by exelectrician posted 05-10-2015 03:21 AM 4281 views 1 time favorited 7 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Ash handrail cut with Yonico router bits Ash handrail cut with Yonico router bits No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I wanted a solid handrail for my son-in-laws remodel but the big box stores only sell finger jointed handrail these days.
This Yonico set was found on ebay brand new from Yonico.
The project called for fourteen foot long handrails, I got a 10 quarter by 7” wide ash board and cut it into 3 pieces.
I got 42 feet of handrail including the cost of the cutters for under 120$$ Very cost effective.

Bottom line – Yes I would recommend this set to fellow LJ’s

-- Love thy neighbour as thyself

View exelectrician's profile

exelectrician

View timbertailor's profile

timbertailor

#1 posted 05-10-2015 03:42 AM

Did it take a lot of passes? What kind of router setup are you using?

Great job, by the way. Glad the bits worked out for you.

-- Brad, Texas, https://www.youtube.com/user/tonkatoytruck/feed

View DocSavage45's profile

DocSavage45

#2 posted 05-10-2015 05:17 AM

They look pretty substantial. Nice results.

-- Cau Haus Designs, Thomas J. Tieffenbacher

View hunter71's profile

hunter71

#3 posted 05-10-2015 07:26 AM

Good looking rail.

-- A childs smile is payment enough.

View Belg1960's profile

Belg1960

#4 posted 05-10-2015 11:46 AM

I have been waiting to make some railings going down to my basement to replace the 2×4 and this might just get me to pull the trigger and make my own. Can ask why the dado in the bottom?

-- ***Pat*** Rookie woodworker looking for an education!!!

View waho6o9's profile (online now)

waho6o9

#5 posted 05-10-2015 07:24 PM

Clean work exelectrician!

What speed did you use on the router for the round over?

View dawsonbob's profile (online now)

dawsonbob

#6 posted 05-10-2015 07:41 PM

Nice work, exelectrician.

I use a number of Yonico bits myself, and they work very well for me.

I have the same questions as the others: how many passes? what kind of router? hand held or table mounted? what speed? and, of course, why the dado in the bottom?

-- Mistakes are what pave the road to perfection

View exelectrician's profile

exelectrician

#7 posted 05-11-2015 04:36 AM

I am amazed in the interest in the thread guys ,
The speed was the one step above lowest for a DeWalt DW624 I think about 12000 RPM. I took two passes for each cut and heavy feather board pressure down and to the side fence for each pass on my old Rockler router table.
Note,, you must have at least two pairs of hands helping with steady and constant feed because any hesitation on the last pass WILL leave a dent in the rail, (takes a lot of sanding to remove)
The dado in the bottom was for the balusters, which fit in between 1 1/4” buy 1/4” fillets, still getting the final photos done for the project post.

-- Love thy neighbour as thyself