They drill holes

Review by Zuki posted 2382 days ago 1886 views 0 times favorited 4 comments Add to Favorites Watch
They drill holes No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

Website

I love working with screws. They are cheap, hold very well and can be hidden from sight when countersunk and plugged. When I saw these bits at HD . . . I said “that is what I need.”

Details – from Wolfcraft
• Top quality precision tool that will drill, countersink, and counterbore in one easy operation.
• For use with portable drills and drill presses
• Countersink also allows flathead screws to sit level with the wooden surface and is adjustable allowing for different hole depths
• Drilling deeper creates a counterbore for the use of a wooden plug.

The tapered drill bit is adjustable using the supplied allen key. My first Wolfcraft #6 Screw Setter lasted about 4 months when the bit cracked. I purchased another and the Setter lasted another 6 months when in the middle of a project the allen key would no longer hold the drill bit and it was sliding in and out like crazy.

I needed another, so off to HD I went where I purchased another #6. Right out of the package the allen key would not hold the bit. I was not impressed. Back to HD for a replacement . . . and I also bought a #8. Well the #6 works fine (for now) and the #8 . . . well the allen screw would not back out far enough so that I could adjust the bit. I fixed that with a little impatience.

When the Screw Setters work . . . they work . . . they drill tapered holes for screws. That’s it.

Im not happy with the product and will not be purchasing any more when these give out.

-- BLOG - http://www.colorfulcanary.com/search/label/Zuki

View Zuki's profile

Zuki

View Douglas Bordner's profile

Douglas Bordner

There are similar but better products available from Lee Valley.

-- "Bordnerizing" perfectly good lumber for over a decade.

View rikkor's profile

rikkor

Thanks for the review. You probably saved a few Jocks some money.

View Grumpy's profile

Grumpy

19326 posts in 2456 days

I have a similar set. don’t use it much for countersinking but recently found them handy for drilling pilot holes. Because the are tapered you can get a more accurate start to a hole.

-- Grumpy - "Always look on the bright side of life"- Monty Python

View LumberGirl's profile

LumberGirl

I have recently discovered an awsome drill drive quick change tool called the Jack Rabbit. It is a quick easy one handed motion to switch from countersinking and couterboring a hole to driving the screw. I bought the Deluxe kit which comes with countersinks and very adjustable drill bits sizes 6-12 along with a depth stop collar and a brass ring driver bit magnetizer and I love it. There are no set screws and the allen key is for adjusting the depth stop only. I’ve not yet had any bits break and it seems to do well with the countersinking and counterboring. With help of the depth stop I am able to make perfect plugable holes. The bits are not tapered but strait Jobber style bits, easy to replace if I ever have to. When I first got the kit, the quick change mechanism seemed to wobble slightly. I called the Jack Rabbit Tool company and they quickly replaced it no questions asked. I have noticed though that even the slightly wobbly one makes perfect holes if I start the drill with the bit touching the wood. I don’t think they’re sold in big box stores but you can order them online. The Jack Rabbit is worth spending a little extra for.
Wow maybe I should take a picture and do a review. Sorry for the novel but it’s a great tool and may save you some grief.
Cheers
LumberGirl
PS. It looks like you can find it if you go to the LumberJocks Wood working store and type Jack Rabbit Deluxe in the search bar.