Craftsman Professional 22124 10" table saw

Review by Frostyjo posted 2049 days ago 32322 views 0 times favorited 23 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Craftsman Professional 22124 10" table saw Craftsman Professional 22124 10" table saw Craftsman Professional 22124 10" table saw Click the pictures to enlarge them

After months of reading reviews and a little groveling at home, I finally got myself a new table saw. I decided on the Craftsman 22124. One of the first things I noticed while I was researching was the Craftsman, Delta and Steel City hybrid saws appear to be identical. The only noted differences are the fences offered, and the Delta comes with extension legs. The shipping label on the box my saw came in was labeled ‘Steel City’ and had the model number of their hybrid (with a Craftsman label right next to it). With that in mind, I don’t think it matters which one you buy and a review of one will probably apply to all. The main reasons I went with the Craftsman was I got it on sale for $890, and I like being able to address any problems in person.

Packaging: I was pretty impressed with the packing. Packing 2, Packing 3 The steel frame it was mounted in took a beating in shipment without putting a scratch on the saw or other boxes. I unpacked it myself, although a second set of hands would have been useful. After unbolting the ‘cage’ it took a little patience to get it over the top of the saw. The extension tables are held in place by angle iron and can’t be removed with the cage in place or it would have been a lot easier. The other boxes came out with no problem. The saw itself is also bolted down. All the major parts were individually wrapped in plastic and had a healthy coating of cosmoline. (it might not have been cosmoline, but it was thick and sticky like it).

I mounted the saw body on an old motorcycle jack I stripped the lift mechanism out of. Lift I did this first, since I figured this was the lightest the saw was going to get. I left the piece of packing cardboard that was under the saw in place to slide the saw on until I had it where I wanted it. It was heavy, but a careful tilt and it slid right on the lift.

Assembly: The directions were pretty simple to follow. They mentioned that none of the hardware packs are labeled, however they are all packed along with the items they are used with. I was surprised to find the v-belt doesn’t use any type of tensioner, the substantial weight of the TEFC motor holds it tight. At this point, I opted to check alignments that have to be adjusted from inside the cabinet before mounting the extension wings. The blade tilt shaft had noticeable play (reminded me of driving my ’65 Ford). The adjustment was straightforward and easy to accomplish. The table tops cleaned up easily with some WD-40 and paper towels. I started all the bolts and removed them once before attempting to assemble the tables. All the holes lined up perfect and the extensions went on with no problem. I snugged the bolts and used a dead blow hammer to coerce them to level before final tightening. The seams are smooth/flush across the length of the table. The holes in the fence rails all lined up perfect. It even comes with a small gauge to align the front rail to the tabletop. The fence guide had a thin layer of wax that I polished out. I was a little disappointed with the wood extension table. It mounts flush and is nice and smooth, but seems cheaply made. That will get replaced with a nicer one of my making. The blade guard mounted easily and took some trial and error to get aligned. I finally gave up on the book method, loosened all the screws, aligned the gauge and tightened them.

Alignment/Observations: The blade was aligned with the miter slots from the factory. I made small adjustments to the positive stops at 90 and 45 degrees. The stops align from the top of the table. The angle scale on the front sucks. The pointer is a little rounded and it’s far away from the cabinet where the markings are. I think a little tape and a piece of bent wire will fix that up. The adjusting wheels turn smoothly through the full range. The lockdowns in the center work ok, but you have to loosed them quite a bit make adjustments. Star knobs would work better than the T-knobs it comes with. I like the tool-less removal/replacement of the blade guard and it stays raised for changing blades/aligning cuts. The factory blade insert has 4 adjusting screws to level it and has a cut-out so it can be removed without pulling the blade guard. The out-feed table is flimsy. The table itself serves the purpose and is heavy enough, but should have been mounted using 2 supports on the corners instead of one in the center to eliminate rocking. I do like that it folds down for storage and doesn’t need tools. The fence aligned with a little trial and error. It didn’t come with the allen wrench (maybe missed in packing). It adjusts easily enough, except that you have to slide it to the end of the table to get to the adjusting screws. The adjusting screws turn very easily, so I’m not sure how well they will hold adjustment with prolonged use. I might put a little Teflon tape on them to help hold them. I really like the built in fence ruler. The two screws that hold down the marker lenses keep them from turning/moving while tightening and they have thin, crisp lines. The miter gauge fits well in the slot. It has adjusting screws along it’s length to adjust the fit. The washer at the front (to keep it from falling off the table or kicking up in the slot) hung up a little at the far end of the table. I removed it and now it fits great. It has adjustable stops at 90 and 45 both ways. I like this far better than the ball and spring type. The aluminum miter extension is ok. It comes with an adjustable stop, can be adjusted sideways and removes easily. I don’t care for the aluminum sliding across my tabletop. It’s a nice feature, but will be replaced by a wood extension. The hold down clamp on the miter gauge works well for quick cuts. It has a spring latch for quickly raising/lowering and holds nicely when snugged down.

Use: It’s quiet!! It has a low hum when started and passed the nickel test. The Leitz blade cuts nice. I ripped some scraps I had around and it cut without any noticeable slowing. Since a good blade will greatly increase the performance of an ok saw, I figure a good measure of a saw’s power is how it cuts with a poor blade. I stuck a 40t Oldham blade I use on plywood in it and chopped up some 3/4” plywood and 2” poplar. Even with the old blade it had plenty of power and easily ripped without slowing. The built in fence scale accurately aligns and makes repeatable cuts. The fence locks down tight and is solid along it’s entire length.

I think the saw was well worth the money and I’m very happy with it overall. I gave it a 5 star rating because it performs like I expected, the fit/finish was great and it assembled without any hassles. If anyone has a question, please write me.
Pic1 pic2

-- If you can't fix it with a hammer, you have an electrical problem.

View Frostyjo's profile

Frostyjo

View bhack's profile

bhack

#1 posted 2049 days ago

I think you will like it. I have owned the same saw for about four years and it has performed very well. As to the tilt of the blade, I use the wixley digital gauge for blade angle.

Now where is the first project made using the new saw? Let’s get in the shop and make sawdust.

-- Bill - If I knew GRANDKIDS were so much fun I would have had them first.

View EEngineer's profile

EEngineer

#2 posted 2049 days ago

I am most impressed with the packaging! The hell with the saw, I want the frame it came in! That would be a tool stand in my shop real quick.

Seriously, it looks like a nice saw. I have inspected this saw at the local Sears store and it looks like Sears is trying to repair their reputation for quality power tools. Let us know how it turns out after you use it for some projects.

-- "Find out what you cannot do and then go do it!"

View steveosshop's profile

steveosshop

#3 posted 2048 days ago

Congrats on the new saw!

-- Steve-o

View gbvinc's profile

gbvinc

#4 posted 2048 days ago

Good purchase! I have been using one for about 5 years now. No regrets at all.

View Patrick Jaromin's profile

Patrick Jaromin

#5 posted 2048 days ago

Let me echo the sentiments of the other 22124 owners commenting here…I upgraded from a Delta contractor’s saw when I saw a floor model 22124 for $459 (gloat ;) ).

Major step up. I spoke with the Steel City rep at a show a couple years ago and according to him there are only minor differences in the Steel City to accommodate the 3HP motor option. Otherwise they’re identical saws (by Orion). If I were in the market for a new one, I’d probably take a closer look at the 3HP version—though my 1.75HP one hasn’t had any troubles with the stuff I’ve thrown at it so far.

-- Patrick, Chicago, IL http://www.TenonAndSpline.com/blog

View brianinpa's profile

brianinpa

#6 posted 2048 days ago

I am glad to see that a Craftsman tool is getting a good review. These days everyone seems to be bagging on Craftsman becasue of poor quality tools. I think that most of the bagging is being done by people who buy a tool and expect it to do more than it is capable of: you get what you pay for.

Excellent review! Enjoy the new saw.

-- Brian, Lebanon PA, If you aren’t having fun doing it, find something else to do.

View Dan'um Style's profile

Dan'um Style

#7 posted 2048 days ago

good job on the review. you got a steal

-- keeping myself entertained ... Humor and fun lubricate the brain

View JerryS's profile

JerryS

#8 posted 2048 days ago

Excellent review ,and thats a great looking saw. How do you keep that base from moving around ? I was impressed with the packaging of the saw . Having never bought a new TS do most cabinet saw come packed in a steel frame ?

View Frostyjo's profile

Frostyjo

#9 posted 2047 days ago

Thanks Jerry,

The stand has 2 bolts on the swivel caster end that level and hold it from rolling. You can see them in the finished pic. I looked at some pre-made stands and some that people made and I’ve seen the design before. Since the lift is very heavy and I don’t use it for bikes anymore I figured I’d try it. I’ve been using the saw since October and it holds in place fine. I want to replace the bolt heads with some star-knobs so I don’t have to use a wrench.

I was very impressed with the packing too. I sure it varies by manufacturer. I would guess (someone can correct me) that because the size/weight they would at be on a pallet of some type.

-- If you can't fix it with a hammer, you have an electrical problem.

View irishcolleen's profile

irishcolleen

66 posts in 2085 days

#10 posted 2047 days ago

I’ve had this same saw about 3 yrs, and I like it. I really don’t have anything to compare it to, as my first one was a cheap, tabletop type saw. I have a friend that lengthened the extension and installed his router in it, so he can use the fence with his router. I hope to do that someday, soon as I can spend the $ for a router lift.

View Woodchuck1957's profile

Woodchuck1957

#11 posted 2047 days ago

Patrick, it’s a nice saw, but I don’t know that I would go as far to say that it’s a major step up from a Delta Contractors saw.

View Patrick Jaromin's profile

Patrick Jaromin

#12 posted 2047 days ago

woodchuck—OK, so “major” might be debatable…but it is absolutely a very big improvement…here’s why:
  • Adjustment—the trunions mounted to the cabinet make squaring the table a breeze compared to my old (yes, quality) contractor saw. I purchased the PALS system, which made it much easier, but it was still a hassle. Without PALS it was a major headache/time sink.
  • Dust collection – the enclosed base makes a huge difference here
  • Weight/stability—maybe a bit unfair as I used the contractor saw in the garage on a mobile base and only bought the Craftsman in time to move into a permanent space in the new shop. But still…it’s significantly heavier.
  • Left-tilt—my old Delta was a right-tilt. Much prefer the left which means I’m no longer to make some cuts with the fence on the “wrong” side…never really liked doing that.

I don’t mean to dump on the Delta—my Delta X5 Contractor saw was the first “real” tablesaw I owned and served me well…and would probably be if I hadn’t lucked into the deal on the 22124. I’m very very pleased that I did upgrade to the Craftsman, however.

-- Patrick, Chicago, IL http://www.TenonAndSpline.com/blog

View Woodchuck1957's profile

Woodchuck1957

#13 posted 2047 days ago

Patrick, at the price you paid for the Craftsman it would be tempting and I know where your comeing from, last year I got lucky and got in on the Craftsman 17” floor model drill press for an unbelievable price, they are now $569. I had a AMT 13” floor model drill press at the time and was able to sell it to just about pay for the 17”, it defineatly is a nicer drill press then what I had, but I would of never paid what they want for them now, however, if I was going to spend that much I would buy the Stell City 17” at $499 I think it’s a nicer drill press because of the split head casting, and is $70 cheaper. My Delta Contractors saw is a 34-445X ( a 34-444 with a Unifence and mobile base ) I bought it new in 1995 for $900 and is made in the USA like yours was. I’ve never had a problem with keeping the trunions aligned, adjusted it once. Dust collection I have redesigned and works extremly well. Weight, someday I’d like to get a cast iron wing for the left sde, the right side the tableboard for the 30” Unfence I used a piece of plate steel. Stability, I think the Craftsman cabinet is too narrow, like most Hybrids, it looks top heavy to me. Tilt, is not really a big issue for me. So all in all, I don’t feel I’d be gaining much in switching to a made in Taiwan Hybrid saw. The Craftsman Hybrid is now selling for $1139, if I sold my saw for $600, I’d have to come up with another $600 after tax. It’s not worth it to me. For an extra $170 at $1299 I could get a Craftsman Professional 10 in. 3-hp cabinet Saw if I thought I needed one. For a first time saw buyer or someone with a benchtop saw, the hybrid would be something to consider if it was on sale for the price that you or Frosty got it at.

View Beginningwoodworker's profile

Beginningwoodworker

#14 posted 2045 days ago

Congrats on the new saw.

-- CJIII Future cabinetmaker

View HAP HANSON's profile

HAP HANSON

#15 posted 2044 days ago

I have this saw currently and all credit to Sears for taking care of their custiomers. About 2 years ago when I got it they loaded it up for me and I too was impressed with the packing thing was someone forgot to secure the bottom bolts I hit a potthole turning a corner and the saw flipped out of my truck and smashed onto the asphalt _ I was sick to my stomach they were closed I along with my wife managed to get the saw back in the truck Motor now thru the side and the top broken. I went to sears the next day and they took it back no questions asked they seen that the cage it comes in was not secured. My truck was an old beater so no real damage.
This has been a solid saw and the only complaint I have is the dust collection problem I have the extension cord catches the sawdust so you have to manually clean it out or beat on the sides so the dust slides down – anyone have this problem?? I have a great cyclone dust collector and a short run of 4 inch collector hose. Overall a great saw for the money.
HAP E. HANSON