Fantastic quality, and great looks- but a big investment.

Review by StumpyNubs posted 04-29-2015 03:57 PM 3783 views 0 times favorited 7 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Fantastic quality, and great looks- but a big investment. Fantastic quality, and great looks- but a big investment. Fantastic quality, and great looks- but a big investment. Click the pictures to enlarge them

I recently got my hands on a pair of high end headphones. Since I listen to music and audiobooks in the workshop, and I know a lot of others here do too, I thought I’d give them a quick review…

First off, they’re stunning. I mean, look at these suckers! That’s hand carved ebony, which immediately appeals to me as a woodworker. Wearing these around the shop just makes me look good! Each set has a different look, with its own unique grain pattern. They come in a high gloss or a satin finish. I got the satin, but now I wish I’d gone for the gloss. Story of my life… But at $239, those good looks don’t come cheap. So are they more than just a pretty face?

Let’s get one thing straight: I know what sounds good to me, but my ear is less discerning than that of a true audiophile. That said, I found the quality to be outstanding. Bass was deep but not so much that it drowns out the vocals. The highs were crisp and clear. Meze claims that their uniquely warm sound is a direct result of the ebony wood, setting them apart from other wooden headphones. I found them to be very comfortable, they adjust smoothly and the cups are thickly padded. They come with a removable cable that also features a wooden end- a nice touch. They also appear to be very durable, but I wouldn’t abuse them. These are high end headphones, designed for those who like a little bit of luxury. I’m not sure they’re a must for a woodworker just because they’re made from wood, but I sure like them!

The Meze headphones on their website.

We also did a short segment on them in a recent episode of Behind the Sawdust- our twice weekly woodworking newscast. You can check that out below… (the segment is at the 8:05 point in the video)

View on YouTube

PLEASE SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL! And visit our website- it’s how we support the show!

-- Subscribe to "Stumpy Nubs Woodworking Journal"- One of the crafts' most unique publications: http://www.stumpynubs.com/

View StumpyNubs's profile

StumpyNubs

View DocSavage45's profile

DocSavage45

#1 posted 04-29-2015 04:06 PM

Stumpy,

They look nice, probably too nice for my shop. LOL! My av area in the hose?????

-- Cau Haus Designs, Thomas J. Tieffenbacher

View Desert_Woodworker's profile

Desert_Woodworker

#2 posted 04-29-2015 05:46 PM

By chance, was it the 1/2 naked girl on their web site that had an influence on your review? I would give this 5 “mustaches” just because of her….

-- Desert_Woodworker

View StumpyNubs's profile

StumpyNubs

#3 posted 04-29-2015 05:51 PM

Nah, she’s got nothin’ on my wife…

View BigAl98's profile

BigAl98

#4 posted 04-29-2015 11:47 PM

Ah your politically correct answer shows you’ve been married for awhile….;)

-- Al,New Jersey -To thine own self be true

View Dedvw's profile

Dedvw

#5 posted 05-02-2015 12:52 AM

Those are sweet, do you have a picture of the pair you received?

View AZWoody's profile (online now)

AZWoody

#6 posted 05-02-2015 02:01 AM

I will have to look those up.

As for what sounds good to you is all that matters. Most audiophiles can’t hear discernible differences in their gear or media, they just say they do…

View timbertailor's profile

timbertailor

#7 posted 05-05-2015 01:27 AM

Those are beautiful!

Do they make a wireless version?

-- Brad, Texas, https://www.youtube.com/user/tonkatoytruck/feed