The Marquetry Manual

Review by Dennis Zongker posted 04-24-2015 09:55 PM 3289 views 5 times favorited 11 comments Add to Favorites Watch
The Marquetry Manual No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

This book was written by William A. Lincoln in 1989, which was 18 years after he wrote, “The Art and Practice of Marquetry.” This is also a very good book.

I would like to say “WOW!” I wish I would have purchase this book when I very first started learning Marquetry. Instead of reading the book, “Marquetry” by Pierre Raymond which is also a great book but let’s face it, it’s not very easy to understand especially for a beginner.

The Marquetry Manual has 272 pages that explain techniques for a beginner to an advanced Marquetarian. This books talks about different techniques on knife and scalpel cutting and also fret sawing, scroll sawing, and cutting with a Chevalet . Your first marquetry picture, the template method, tinting & shading, inlays, borders, parquetry designs for marquetry, perspective & composition, shadows and reflections. It also has a wonderful picture gallery of some of the most advanced and beautiful marquetry I have ever seen.

For me I read this book in about three days. It has given me some great ideas for the marquetry that I am working on right now. What surprised me about this book is that I have never heard about it before until now. You can purchase this book on Amazon as a used book. I am really surprised that there hasn’t been a reprint. You never know sometimes when something will surprise and inspire you for taking a step further into your journey.

-- Dennis Zongker

View Dennis Zongker's profile

Dennis Zongker

View Spoontaneous's profile

Spoontaneous

#1 posted 04-24-2015 10:25 PM

Don’t think I have that one. I do have a copy of ‘The Art and Practice’ softcover…. and I have the huge Marquetry book by Pierre Raymond…. If anyone is looking for a copy of either of those.

Also Dennis… I have a book titled ‘The Art of Inlay’ by Larry Robinson… which if it is not already in your library… I’d be happy to send it your way.

-- I just got done cutting three boards and all four of them were too short. (true story)

View grizzman's profile

grizzman

#2 posted 04-24-2015 10:25 PM

its really great to have found this resource, from the way you have explained it , it will enhance your plans for this table…i am very excited to see it, i cant imagine having something like this in my home, on a table that i can look at every day, this is going to be worth every dollar you charge him….so get going Dennis i don’t want to wait to long for this….lol….

-- GRIZZMAN ...[''''']

View DonSol's profile

DonSol

#3 posted 04-24-2015 11:14 PM

In 1999 I was at a bookstore looking through their woodworking books. For several years I had been wanting to learn marquetry but didn’t know any one that knew how, let know what it was. This book had somehow got pushed back on the shelf and I pulled it out and it was the “Marquetry Manual”. I read it twice before I even started my first picture. From that picture I could tell what I needed to improve on. I still refer back to it and reread parts of it now and then.

I always recommend it to anyone that wants to learn marquetry.

-- Don Solomon, New Castle, IN; Quality is not an act, it is a habit. Aristotle

View tinnman65's profile

tinnman65

#4 posted 04-25-2015 01:45 PM

This is real high praise when someone of your experience can find something new to try in his work from a book. I always feel if I can even learn one or two new tricks to put in the tool box its worth the price of the book. I will definitely be looking into the book. Thanks for the review.

-- Paul--- Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep. — Scott Adams

View timbertailor's profile

timbertailor

#5 posted 04-25-2015 04:37 PM

Thanks for the review and everyone’s input.
I have a lot of irons in the fire already but Marquetry seems to be my next step in woodworking. This type of sharing is far more beneficial than one first realizes. It is appreciated.

-- Brad, Texas, https://www.youtube.com/user/tonkatoytruck/feed

View larryw's profile

larryw

#6 posted 04-26-2015 02:05 AM

Wow Dennis I’ve never heard of this one either. I would love to have a copy myself. I do have the book that ” spontaneous” is referring to, Larry Robinsons’s “the art of inlay” , but this book deals mainly with “inlay”, which is similar to marquetry in many ways, but also quite different from Marquetry in others.

-- "everything is beautiful, but not everyone sees it" ~confucius-551-449 b.c.~

View Roger's profile

20904 posts in 2709 days

#7 posted 04-26-2015 02:28 PM

Thnx for your review. All and any info is always better than none.

View shipwright's profile

shipwright

#8 posted 04-27-2015 07:07 PM

Thanks Dennis. I’m a other one who will be looking for it.

-- Paul M ..............If God wanted us to have fiberglass boats he would have given us fibreglass trees. http://thecanadianschooloffrenchmarquetry.com/

View BritBoxmaker's profile

BritBoxmaker

#9 posted 04-29-2015 08:44 PM

This has been my veneering reference for many a year, Dennis.

-- Martyn -- Boxologist, Pattern Juggler and Candyman of the visually challenging.

View ronniebo's profile

ronniebo

#10 posted 05-04-2015 03:42 AM

Interesting thoughts gents.
I had the amazing good luck to bump in to Mr Silas Kopf a couple of years back while he was visiting a friend here in Hobart Tasmania.
His work and teachings are also legendary.
Subsequently I purchased his book “A Marquetry Odyssey” which you might also enjoy.
It is available thru his website.
Cheers
Ron in Hobart

View earbogast's profile

earbogast

#11 posted 06-20-2016 11:07 PM

Just bought both books on Amazon. I have done just a few marquetry pieces learning by book and hope this helps.