Great Saw!

Review by hybridn00b posted 04-24-2015 01:11 PM 4841 views 0 times favorited 6 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Great Saw! Great Saw! No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

This is only my second saw, so that may limit the impact of my review, but it just might be my last! This beauty is built to last!

I upgraded from a craftsman contractor saw, which was wildly inaccurate, but allowed me to realize that woodworking is going to be a lifetime passion of mine. A big factor in choosing this saw for me was the 115V option. Plus, the Powermatic logo screams quality to me. Obviously the saw is amazing, especially compared to the contractor saw i had previously.

I’ve had the saw for about six months now and it has been used quite a bit. As far as performance goes, this saw is dead accurate, easy to use, and significantly quieter than that contractor saw. The saw almost hums. I’d agree with the other review about the difficulty of installing the wooden extension wing. Although, I put mine together by myself. The 1 3/4 HP motor is plenty of power for what I’ve done so far. 8/4 Poplar is the thickest wood I’ve run through it and 4/4 Hard Maple is probably the hardest wood I’ve thrown at it. Of course a good sharp Woodworker II helps with a lot of it too.

The only complaint I have with the saw is trying to align the fence with the little tape measure. I just can’t get it to be accurate. I’ve contacted Powermatic and they’re sending me another adhesive backed tape measure that I can accurately apply myself. So…..really no complaints!

If your in the market at this price range, you won’t be disappointed to go with this saw.

View hybridn00b's profile

hybridn00b

View bbasiaga's profile

bbasiaga

1232 posts in 1991 days

#1 posted 04-27-2015 10:56 AM

Congrats on the new machine! My hope is to get a real table saw in the next year or so. My Ridgid contractor type saw is doing a good job for now.

Out of curiosity, how did you decide on the Powermatic over the similarly priced models like the sawstop, Jet,Grizzly?

-Brian

-- Part of engineering is to know when to put your calculator down and pick up your tools.

View helluvawreck's profile

helluvawreck

#2 posted 04-27-2015 11:31 AM

I have had a PM1000 for a good many years now and I have never regretted the purchase. Enjoy your new saw.

helluvawreck aka Charles

-- helluvawreck aka Charles, http://woodworkingexpo.wordpress.com

View paxorion's profile

paxorion

1107 posts in 2041 days

#3 posted 04-27-2015 01:58 PM

helluvawreck aka Charles

- helluvawreck

PM1000 or PM2000? The PM1000 was announced about a year ago. Your shop photos make me think PM2000.

-- paxorion

View Mainiac Matt 's profile

Mainiac Matt

#4 posted 04-27-2015 02:34 PM

Looks like a very nice saw. Congrats.

Re. the scale alignment.

1. Set fence for an even whole number (i.e. 3”)
2. Rip a piece of stock.
3. Measure the cut stock via. your most accurate means (preferably a caliper)
4. Loosen the screws on the T-fence that hole the clear plastic stylus in place, and move the stylus left or right until it reads exactly what your caliper tells you the actual width of the board is.
5. Repeat the process as needed. After two or three iterations, you will have it dialed in as accurately as your eyeball can read the scale (make sure your viewing it from directly above and not at an angle to avoid parallax error).
6. You shouldn’t have to replace the scale. If you’re delta is greater than the allowed movement of the clear plastic stylus, then you can “ream out” the ends of the adjustment track with a drill bit to give you a little extra wiggle room. Then you can save the replacement scale they send you for that day in far off future when your current scale is all scratched up and you want to replace it.

-- It’s the knowledge in your head, skill in your hands and motivation to create in you heart that makes you a woodworker. - Mainiac Matt

View Nicoli's profile

Nicoli

#5 posted 04-30-2015 05:01 AM

I’ve also owned both systems and prefer the Beis for my shop. The Vega fence is better suited to a hobby shop, but since my machines are in daily use I like the beefiness of the Beis.

View rizzo's profile

rizzo

#6 posted 04-30-2015 04:24 PM

Congrats on the new saw! I have that saw as well and love it!! Couldn’t be happier with it so far. Only 1 minor issue that was quickly resolved from Powermatic. I plan on writing a review soon to speak to my experience using it so far and build off the “initial install review” that i wrote at the beginning of the year.

I have had great luck zeroing in the tolerances for the fence and blade and this saw has allowed a level of precision in my work I have never had before.