Steel City 1.5 HP Model 65200 Dust Collector

Review by IHRedRules posted 04-19-2015 01:10 AM 4725 views 0 times favorited 6 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Steel City 1.5 HP Model 65200 Dust Collector Steel City 1.5 HP Model 65200 Dust Collector No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

Yes, I do know that Steel City is no more, but I figure, why not review it anyway, as someone may still be interested in purchasing one while they are being clearanced out. To be clear, I just purchased this today, so my experience is very limited with it, so take it for what it’s worth. I was able to purchase it on clearance, so I got what I felt was a good deal. I’m not too worried about product support down the road, as i figure a dust collector is fairly simple and many parts can be found elsewhere.

Starting out, the box weighs 99 lbs, so it has some heft to it. I decided to empty the box while it was in the bed of my truck rather try to wrestle it to the ground in one piece. I found the instructions for assembly were more than adequate for a dust collector. Parts came in bags with the contents listed on the bag, making it easy to find the right hardware. Assembly itself was quite straight forward. I did not have any issues, and things fit together as they should.

Initial thoughts – 1) It is rather quiet, it doesn’t make as much noise as I was expecting. 2) It is a little sturdier than I expected. 3) It works as I was expecting. I used the supplied 4” hose, as I don’t have a dedicated plumbed system. Its suction is more than adequate for the supplied hose. When I hooked it up to my cabinet table saw, it sucked out most of what had accumulated in the bottom. As for a long run in a plumbed system, it may not offer enough suction, but that’s just an assumption.

Looking ahead – 1) It comes with a 1 micron top bag, so I’m not sure if I will opt to upgrade to the Winn filter or not. I need to put some hours on it and decide later. 2) What kind of parts availability will I have in the future? Only time will tell.

View IHRedRules's profile

IHRedRules

View Dedvw's profile

Dedvw

#1 posted 04-19-2015 01:23 AM

Wow, I didnt realize that SC went out of business. It sucks to lose a major player in the game esp considering that I like the granite stuff.

View Alan72's profile

Alan72

205 posts in 1938 days

#2 posted 04-19-2015 04:09 PM

Do you mind letting us know how much was it and where did you get it from. I have a Steel City Shaper and have no issue with it. If I was in the market for a new dust collector I wouldn’t have an issue buy this one, out of business or not.

View Mike's profile

Mike

#3 posted 04-19-2015 10:10 PM

Pardon me, but can you show me where it says Steel City is out of business? I can get to their website here .

-- look Ma! I still got all eleven of my fingers! - http://www.lepelstatcrafts.etsy.com - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCppWfrYGXCr5lm9uW-Fpqqw

View Dedvw's profile

Dedvw

#4 posted 04-19-2015 10:26 PM

View Guy Dunlap's profile

Guy Dunlap

#5 posted 04-19-2015 11:44 PM

That is too bad they went out of business. I have one of their table saws (purchased 8 yrs ago, it’s a tank and very well built), and one of their drill presses recently purchased. Their customer service was excellent. When I got the drill press, the run out was almost .008, I emailed them and they shipped me an entirely new head for it. no questions asked.

-- Guy, Indianapolis, IN - https://www.youtube.com/user/GuysWoodshop - Instagram – https://instagram.com/guyswoodshop/

View IHRedRules's profile

IHRedRules

#6 posted 04-20-2015 12:34 AM

It was purchased at Johnson’s Workbench in Charlotte, Mi. It was normally $499, I got it for $375.