Great saw for a big box store

Review by DannyBoy posted 12-11-2008 09:39 PM 2799 views 0 times favorited 9 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Great saw for a big box store No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I know, we all give the big box stores crap for having shoddy this, that, and the other. But let’s face it, we nearly all shop there. Lowes has always been a good place and I continue to love buying from there. I was lucky enough to get offered a bit of a shopping spree from my father for my birthday (a bit belated) and Lowes was just down the street.

For the past 6 months I had been cursing myself for spending $30 on a crappy Black your Decker saw that was mostly plastic. I bought it over two years ago and at the time was spending every dime I had on it. Awe the good old days. So during this time I had been looking at the $150 or so models at every store I went do trying very hard not to drool. So, when my opportunity came, I jumped at getting this little baby.

So far, only minor work done with it. I’ve cut long straight cuts and some complicated curves and the saw does wonderful. I paired it with the Bosche blades (is that sacrilegious?) that are available at Lowes as well and I’ve simply melted through oak plywood.

Pros:
  • Good dust control with the blower.
  • Nominal vibration keeps it easy to control.
  • Quick release is very convenient.
  • Included case has room for attachment and blade storage.
Cons:
  • Would have liked a dust collection attachment to be included.
  • Quick release takes a second to understand how to seat the blade (listen for the click).

Overall, a good deal if you need one. Dewault has always made good tools for me and I’m glad to see this one is no different.

Saw link to Lowes.com

~DB

-- He said wood...http://hickbyassociation.blogspot.com/

View DannyBoy's profile

DannyBoy

View Todd A. Clippinger's profile

Todd A. Clippinger

#1 posted 12-11-2008 10:17 PM

Thanks for the review. I have been drooling over this one for a long time.

I have used it on jobsites due to being around other contractors and it is a sweet cutting machine. I love anything with quick change blades. Changing blades with an allen wrench is no fun when you know this is an option now.

-- Todd A. Clippinger, Montana, http://americancraftsmanworkshop.com

View Hawkins's profile

Hawkins

#2 posted 12-11-2008 10:44 PM

Hope this is OK to post…I noticed that this is for sale on http://tooliday.com/ today…12/11/2008.

No affiliation, also know nothing about the tool…just saying…

View DannyBoy's profile

DannyBoy

#3 posted 12-11-2008 10:51 PM

That’s great! (Other than just kicking me in the pants on how much mine cost!!!)

-- He said wood...http://hickbyassociation.blogspot.com/

View davidroberts's profile

davidroberts

#4 posted 12-12-2008 01:13 AM

The deal that Hawkins posted at Tool King is a no brainer. Run as fast as you can for that one. Sale over in 6 hours. I have a barrel handled bosch and it too leaves a glass finish cut using sharp bosch blades. I’ve been a DeWalt fan for a loooong time. The first power tool I bought in the mid 80’s was a DeWalt 1/4 sheet sander, from one of the first HDs on the west coast. Good times.

View Pabs's profile

Pabs

#5 posted 12-12-2008 06:11 AM

that is a great deal! too bad they can’t ship to Canada…. ah well, easy come , easy go
I can’t stand the tool… flimsy, cuts poorly…never accurate..the base plate comes out of alignment in mid-cut…by that I mean the angle of the bed changes during the cut… .one of the worst tools I have…
not sure why they make this crap…waste of materials

I have a cheap black and decker model as well.. my wife bought it for me a while back…she (or I) didn’t really know what I needed….

-- Pabs

View mrsawdust's profile

mrsawdust

#6 posted 12-14-2008 07:28 AM

good review. i almost bought that same saw after many $29 black and deckers. i ended up with the Bosch “barrel” jig saw and absolutely love it. good luck with it…...

mike

-- mrsawdust, pittsburgh,pa.

View tadpole76's profile

tadpole76

#7 posted 12-15-2008 04:48 AM

I have the exact same saw and it is by far the best jig saw ihav ever owned. I too have gone through a few of the B&D $30 models.

View tommyt654's profile

tommyt654

#8 posted 12-16-2008 07:56 PM

I recently purchased a rebuilt saw from Harbor Freight online for 65 dollars it is about 1 amp difference in power and does not have the padded handle but it works great.I had a coupon for 20% off. It normally list for 79.97 so I got a pretty decent deal vs the old B+D I have.The model you have I,m sure your model is much nicer but I think I may have gotten the better deal price wise, Wewill just have to see if this rebuilt holds up BTW it is model no. DW317KR

View grovemadman's profile

grovemadman

#9 posted 12-17-2008 09:23 AM

I like the Bosch myself, my friend has one and Once I used it I knew I had to have it! Thanks for the review, haven’t tried the DeWalt yet, I’ll have to try to find someone who has one before I buy another jigsaw. The one I have now is a very old B&D that my grand father passed down through the years. It doesn’t cut as nice as the newer jigsaws, but it does work better than anything B&D makes now! The all metal construction of the older tools I find are near indestructable…

-- --Chuck