Harbor Freight Mobile Base with steel support bars

Review by PaulHWood posted 04-18-2015 09:09 PM 5557 views 3 times favorited 6 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Harbor Freight Mobile Base with steel support bars Harbor Freight Mobile Base with steel support bars No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

Thanks to curliejones for the idea and help.

substituted 1 1/4 inch 16 gauge tube steel instead of hardwood, approximately a $1 a foot for material. Cut to size, clamped into support and started the holes with a 5/16 bit to mark, then finished drilling with 1/8” starter bit and step bit to 11/32 (bolts are 8mm). All but one lined up perfect, and the last one just took riunning the 5/16 bit throuhg once (likely an interior burr). I painted the steel black to match the mobile base, bolted it up.

On the ridgid, bolted the tool to a double layer of ply, which is in turn screwed into the corner supports from below (have to frill for this)

On the scroll, I just used a single ply base with cutouts for the legs so as to sort of lock them in. I also modified the scroll stand at the same time with a shelf and a base below the saw.

-- -Paul, South Carolina Structural Engineer by trade, Crappy Woodworker by choice

View playingwithmywood's profile

playingwithmywood

#1 posted 04-19-2015 02:36 AM

wow I had not seen that dewalt made a new designed base for the saw

and at one time I had the Ridgid jointer it was nice and putting on a link belt really smoothed it out also another thing you can pick up at Harbor Freight

#2 posted 04-19-2015 02:21 PM

I believe this is the older Dewalt Base. It is still same model number, but the new one is three legged which takes out any rock you get with four legs. Hopefully my stand will also mitigate this.

thanks for the info on the link belt.

View bobasaurus's profile

bobasaurus

#3 posted 04-20-2015 01:44 AM

I installed one of these on my bandsaw. Works great, no real complaints.

-- Allen, Colorado (Instagram @bobasaurus_woodworking)

View codemonkeyww's profile

codemonkeyww

#4 posted 04-20-2015 12:16 PM

Really great idea I was looking at getting the same base for my jointer and bandsaw. Where did you get the tube steel?

-- "Cause I know that time has numbered my days" -Mumford

#5 posted 04-20-2015 06:19 PM

locally, it was available from several sources, but ended up at an ornamental steel works as they had a thinner gauge (16). $24 for 24 foot piece, enough for both stands and some leftover.

Other steel supplier had 11 gauge for $31 a 24 foot piece

View curliejones's profile

curliejones

#6 posted 04-22-2015 12:36 AM

Nice job! Snazzy with the black paint on the tubing. Happy to help.

-- Like Guy Clark sez - "Sometimes I use my head, Sometimes I get a bigger hammer"