Dewalt DW735

Review by dataman posted 01-23-2008 02:09 AM 5111 views 0 times favorited 13 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Dewalt DW735 No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I have really worked this tool for many hours lately and am totally impressed with its performance.

It is pricy but has received a number of best product recognitions in magazine articles in their plainer reviews.

It’s easy to adjust and feed wood through. You must use a vacuum system with it! It’s 13” wide capacity should cover most boards you want to plain down.
It has a three knife cutter-head which helps extend the life of the knife. The blades are easy to change and they are double edged so you get double the life out of each one. They are pin located so you just place them in and there is no critical adjusting to do. Simple and easy! You can also slide them left and right so if you develop a nick and it can be eliminate by just shifting one or two knives on the opposite direction from where they currently sit thus providing a clean area of blade to again provide a clean cut.

It also has two speed gear box allows users to change feed speed to optimizing cuts per inch at 96 or 179 CPI. It also provides convenient stops for the most popular wood thicknesses so there is no guessing!

I have planed down about 400 BF of Cherry recently and found it to be a very tough tool. It performs well and I am still using my first set of blades.
Dewalt DW735

View dataman's profile

dataman

View ShannonRogers's profile

ShannonRogers

#1 posted 01-23-2008 03:00 AM

I also have this planer and have been using it for almost 2 years. Great product. I recommend building outfeed tables or buying the after market ones. I am about to do some maintenance to change the blades so I will check back in once I have done that to confirm the ease of that operation.

-- The Hand Tool School is Open for Business! Check out my blog and podcast "The Renaissance Woodworker" at www.renaissancewoodworker.com

View MsDebbieP's profile

MsDebbieP

#2 posted 01-23-2008 03:48 PM

we have this planer as well. I have never used any other planer so I can’t compare – but it’s easy to use. I like it. 2 Thumbs up.

-- ~ Debbie, Canada (https://www.facebook.com/DebbiePribeleENJOConsultant)

View Bill's profile

Bill

#3 posted 01-23-2008 05:42 PM

I just bought this same planer, and really like it. It takes a lot of work out of sizing the wood and getting it consistently the same thickness.

-- Bill, Turlock California, http://www.brookswoodworks.com

View dalec's profile

dalec

#4 posted 01-23-2008 05:50 PM

I have seen many postive LJ comments about the Dewalt DW735. Although more expensive than others, it is the one I would go for when I go for a thickness planer.

Dalec

View CutNRun's profile

CutNRun

#5 posted 01-24-2008 11:55 PM

I was fortunate enough to find this planer in like new condition on Craig’s List for $300.00. It has served me very well for several years. The stock knives plane the smoothest, but don’t last terribly long. I have replaced the OEM knives with a set from Infinity and they seem to hold up a little better. I “think” the OEM knives produce a smoother cut, but won’t swear to it. Rarely have any issue with snipe and the planer does a good job on figured grain as well. I initially used the planer with a large shop vacuum and it would blow more CFM than the vacuum could take in. Turning the planer on before my dust collector will inflate the dust bag fully – it really projects the chips out the back. In my opinion, it is the best portable planer on the market.

-- CutNRun - So much wood, so many trails, so little time

View jeremy's profile

jeremy

#6 posted 01-26-2008 01:12 AM

I love this planer. The two speed cutting is really great. It’s pretty heavy so you should build a table for it. The only thing I didn’t like was the quality of the blades. After planing rough quartersawn oak for a morris chair the blades had six or seven nicks in them. So I just flipped ‘em around and used the other side ( took me about 5 minutes). I guess $50 once or twice a year for a tool that gets a lot of use isn’t too bad.

-- Jeremy, Saratoga, NY

View mrtrim's profile

mrtrim

#7 posted 01-26-2008 01:39 AM

ive had mine about 2 years and love it . although if i had the space id like a bigger one !

View mot's profile

mot

#8 posted 01-28-2008 12:47 AM

I’ve had this planer for a few years, and love it. The feature that I’ve found the best is that dust collection blower. Hooked to my DC, there just isn’t any crap around the planer. Nice review.

-- You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation. (Plato)

View KDL's profile

KDL

#9 posted 02-01-2008 10:53 PM

I bought this planer two years ago and think it’s one of the best deals going. I had heard bad things about the internal gears sheering, but a trustworthy salesperson assured me the problem had been fixed at the factory and I have not had a problem. Perhaps that’s because I use it, but don’t abuse it. I don’t ask it to cut to more than 1/16 or so at a time, and less on wide boards. After all, this is a tool I can carry, not a floor mounted monster. I just ordered the infeed and outfeed tables, but I haven’t had much snipe without them. I have the dust-bag accessory and love it. I haven’t changed the knives, though I need too. That’s the next big test (of both the machine and me).

View dataman's profile

dataman

#10 posted 02-01-2008 11:15 PM

I did break the wood feed drive gears once even though I take off 1/32” at a time. I have hd mine for a few years so maybe I got one before the fix. Was not hard to do at all but just had to find them on the left side of the unit. It did take a couple of weeks to get them so it will slow your progress down if you have a big job to do.

Remember you can rotate the 3 blades to the other side and you have a new set of cutting surfaces so you don’t need to purchase a new set unless you have already rotated them.

View nickman's profile

nickman

#11 posted 02-29-2008 07:15 AM

This planer rocks! My first planer was a hunk-of-junk 20 year old Craftsman, so I really know what a pain it is to set knives in those old things, and the snipe and all that. I bought this guy, and it’s probably the nicest tool in my shop. I use it a lot, I typically only jointer two sides of rough stock, then I plane the face and width-size multiple boards through the planer. The four posts, it’s wide stance, and the general sturdiness of this machine make it the best in its class. There is no other 110V planer on the market right now that could beat it!

#12 posted 08-15-2008 06:27 AM

I wish that I had bought this before it got to be in the $500 price range . Plus they want more $ if you want infeed / outfeed tables . I guess I’ll stick with my Dewalt 733 for a few more years…That one came with tables , but they’re not adjustable , so that sucks regarding trying to correct for snipe issues : ( plus I can’t seem to adjust it for an even cut across the whole width of the cut even while using the blade setting jigs that came with it . It has served me well even with the few issues it has : )

View ChesapeakeBob's profile

ChesapeakeBob

#13 posted 11-18-2008 10:38 PM

The Home Depot stores here in Maryland have these on close-out for $479. I bought mine last week and I love it. I figured this was only planer I would ever purchase so I went for the one with most positive feedback!

Chesapeake Bob