An Excellent, Inexpensive, Machine Lighting Alternative

Review by DeLayne Peck posted 04-15-2015 06:25 AM 5015 views 5 times favorited 18 comments Add to Favorites Watch
An Excellent, Inexpensive, Machine Lighting Alternative No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I have frequently wished I could add extra lighting to some of machine tools in my shop. My band-saw was a leading candidate. I found an excellent alternative between old hot bulb and expensive high intensity work lights – LED sewing machine lights.

The unit I purchased is a generic Chinese make. It is durably constructed. There’s no heat and clumsy fiddling. A strong magnetic base stays put in any position. The 7” goose neck is highly adjustable and holds its position. An on-off switch is conveniently located.

The unit is 110 AC with a 5 ft. cord. I especially like that it light-weight, slim, out-of the way, and very portable. The 20 LED head cast a wide, bright, glare-free light.

Best of all. At $14.90, it is inexpensive!

Available on Amazon.

Important Update: Found and ordered a 30 LED model that I found on eBay. Arrived quickly. Has higher intensity LEDS with a longer cord. Available on eBay. Suitable for some applications were more light is required.

-- DJ Peck, Lincoln Nebraska. Lord, keep your arm around my shoulder and your hand over my mouth.

View robscastle's profile

robscastle

#1 posted 04-15-2015 06:48 AM

I had better check them out, I need one for my bandsaw also.
If I buy two I can get some extra points by giving the other to Aurora for her sewing machine

I am off!

-- Regards Rob

#2 posted 04-15-2015 07:21 AM

Rob, I betting she will move your bowl back in the house.

View Jeff's profile

Jeff

#3 posted 04-15-2015 12:03 PM

Thanks for posting this. I was looking for an inexpensive alternative to what the woodworker stores sell.

-- "...building is far more gratifying that consuming" - Chris Schwarz

View WoodNSawdust's profile

WoodNSawdust

#4 posted 04-15-2015 01:07 PM

Thanks for sharing. I will be ordering one.

-- "I love it when a plan comes together" John "Hannibal" Smith

View gfadvm's profile

gfadvm

#5 posted 04-15-2015 01:33 PM

Thanks DJ, The one I got at Wally World had a pi$$ poor magnet, fell off the bandsaw, and broke the first time I used it!

-- " I'll try to be nicer, if you'll try to be smarter" gfadvm

#6 posted 04-15-2015 01:42 PM

Thank you for the very useful information

View johnstoneb's profile

johnstoneb

#7 posted 04-15-2015 04:01 PM

Thank You for the post. I have been looking for a light fo my drill press. At that price probably buy 2. Band saw coul use one also.

-- Bruce, Boise, ID

View JoeinGa's profile

JoeinGa

#8 posted 04-15-2015 04:15 PM

Hey thanks for posting this. On my bandsaw I’ve been using a clamp-style light with a gooseneck and the head is so heavy that I’ve had to prop it up. This looks like a good replacement!

-- Perform A Random Act Of Kindness Today ... Pay It Forward

View philba's profile

philba

#9 posted 04-15-2015 10:15 PM

Thanks for reviewing! Is the light bluish or warm white?

View wunderaa's profile

wunderaa

#10 posted 04-16-2015 01:19 AM

have the same one on my BS…love it! Light is a bit too white, but FWIW, it’s pretty darn good for me!

#11 posted 04-16-2015 03:31 AM

philba, it casts a neutral, white light. Bright enough in the 12 to 16 inch range.

View mandatory66's profile

mandatory66

#12 posted 04-16-2015 03:53 AM

Thanks for the review and link, just ordered one for my bandsaw.

View ward63's profile

ward63

#13 posted 04-16-2015 02:21 PM

I just get micro pen lights from the dollar store. some have micro batteries & some have AAA batteries depending on the amount of light you need. I have too many AC cords running in my shop.

View HighPointWW's profile

HighPointWW

#14 posted 04-17-2015 09:50 AM

I’ve been using the exact same lights (20 LED) on my drill press, bandsaw, RAS and wherever I need to stick a light. Great price and they should last years and years! Completely white, pure light that’s just bright enough to light the business area.

View Roger's profile

20949 posts in 2950 days

#15 posted 04-17-2015 06:41 PM

Thnx for your review and link De. I’ve added it to my wish list.