Blade Cleaner

Review by Maddhatter posted 12-08-2008 12:48 AM 2193 views 0 times favorited 13 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Blade Cleaner No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

During a work conference, one of the vendors present was for Simple Green. After talking about hobbies for a while, we got on the subject of cleaning pitch and gum from blades and bits. He had offered me a sample of the product to try. It was simply amazing, one spray on a blade and the pitch and gum just dissolved.

I had pulled out the worst blade of the bunch, and with some light brushing; the pitch came off as easy as you please. I am not sure if this is out on the market, I checked with my local woodcraft and they were going to talk to their distributor to see if they can get it in the store.

If you are not satisfied with what you are using now, you may want to give this one a try. The results just might surprise you.

View dustygirl's profile

dustygirl

#1 posted 12-08-2008 12:51 AM

Thanks for the tip.I will write this down for future reference when I need to get some.

-- Dustygirl..Hastings,Ontario.. How much wood can 1 gal chuck if 1 gal can't cut wood?

#2 posted 12-08-2008 01:53 AM

I would agree Beech Pilot with the first two product releases, however this is a n
ew product developed for Boeing and mets the FED SPECs. From the other Simple Green products that I have used in the past, this one was a pleasant surprise.

#3 posted 12-08-2008 03:15 AM

When I took the picture of the label, did not notice it was curled over. The product is Extreme Simple Green my bottle states it meets Boeing Spec D6-17487P. Hope this helps.

View TraumaJacques's profile

TraumaJacques

#4 posted 12-08-2008 04:28 AM

I wonder if it would remove Gorilla glue from my hands :-) thanks for the tip.

-- All bleeding will eventually stop.

View Woodshopfreak's profile

Woodshopfreak

#5 posted 12-08-2008 06:07 AM

I have heard that that stuff is great for cleaning blades. I have read that some chemicals can damage the bits of carbide on the blades. I read that Pine-Sol works well. I have tried it and it does work really well, but you have to delute it a bit because I left my blade in a bag of it over night and all the lettering on the blade came right off. Luckily it was a piece of junk cheap blade.

-- Tyler, Illinois

View douglbe's profile

douglbe

#6 posted 12-09-2008 02:53 AM

I’ve been using the inexpensive Simple Green for over a year not, let my blades and bits soak for 10 to 15 minutes and the pitch and gum falls off. It works great for me, I have never had a problem.

-- Doug, Reed City, Michigan

View Kindlingmaker's profile

Kindlingmaker

#7 posted 12-09-2008 06:42 PM

Put Simple Green in your pressure washer and it will clean any machine or engine you have. It will totally remove synthetic oils from asphalt! I just wish it smelled like scotch.

-- Never board, always knotty, lots of growth rings

View OttawaP's profile

OttawaP

#8 posted 12-10-2008 03:20 AM

Let me return this favour given to me years ago by another woodworker. “Arm and Hammer Super Washing Soda” is by far THE BEST BLADE CLEANER…..period. A spoon or two in some hot water, soak your blades for 15-30 minutes, a gentle cleanse with an old toothbrush and done with perfect results. Best thing is a box will pretty much last a lifetime for less than $10.
I’ve tried 2 or 3 of the store bought blade cleaners and they don’t do anywhere near as good or as fast a job as this stuff.

-- Paul

#9 posted 12-10-2008 04:30 AM

I used to use that to, If memory serves ; I read it in a readers tip some time years ago in a Fine Woodworking magazine. Mid 80’s
I think. It was the Arm and Hammer non phosphate cleaner. Worked grate with soaking as you pointed out.
Cheap that works is a good thing.

View blackcherry's profile

blackcherry

#10 posted 12-12-2008 12:55 AM

GOOD LUCK FINDING IT!!!!Blkcherry

View OttawaP's profile

OttawaP

#11 posted 12-12-2008 02:36 AM

I just picked it up over a year ago at our local grocery store. Is it hard to find generally ??

-- Paul

View poppychuck's profile

poppychuck

#12 posted 12-12-2008 03:18 AM

I have been using SG for years with great success. Readily available at Home Depot.

-- Chas F

View Layton's profile

Layton

#13 posted 12-13-2008 04:53 PM

How bout oven cleaner from the dolla store