Gramercy Tools Sash Saw Kit

Review by Redoak90 posted 04-10-2015 10:41 PM 4556 views 0 times favorited 3 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Gramercy Tools Sash Saw Kit No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I purchased the Gramercy tools sash saw kit a few weeks back. The kit comes with a saw plate with a brass back and 2 pairs of saw nut and bolt in brass. The saw was packaged in an anti-rust paper with bubble wrap. Nothing was damaged when it arrived and it looked flawless. No scratches, dings, or dents present. The saw is 14” long has 13 ppi and a 0.02” saw plate. I bought the kit because the only saw I had was a Veritas dovetail saw and wanted a larger saw to cut larger pieces. All I had to do was make my own saw handle and I was good to go. The handle took around and hour or so to make and the kit comes with a template to make things a little easier. I used their template and the handle turned out to be too small so I re-sized the template 10% larger and made a new one. It fits my hand perfectly now. The saw cuts extremely well when ripping and crosscutting. This saw is so precise that I can use it to cut drawer dovetails. In fact this is the only backsaw I now use.

I highly recommend this saw to anyone looking for only one backsaw because I am able to cut anything between small precise dovetails to larger tenons. The only minor issue I had was one tooth was over set so it kept binding in the cut on that tooth. I simply tapped it with a hammer and it works great now. I will give it 4 stars because of the high quality materials used and everything, besides the one tooth, are exactly how they should be. On their website they say that the teeth are hand set so it is understandable if one tooth was slightly over set. Also the handle template was quite small and I have small hands so I imagine it would be way too small for most people buying this saw.

View Redoak90's profile

Redoak90

View waho6o9's profile

waho6o9

#1 posted 04-11-2015 02:27 AM

Thanks for the good review.

View ruddhess's profile

ruddhess

#2 posted 04-11-2015 02:20 PM

Nice looking saw, thanks for the review! Still using my old Stanley with the black plastic handle. I need to upgrade. I’ll check this saw kit out.

-- Rodney, Arkansas

View RogerBean's profile

RogerBean

#3 posted 04-12-2015 12:50 PM

I also have this saw and can can confirm that it is a first class saw that fits the need nicely for a saw slightly larger than a carcass saw. Looks great, and fits nicely in the hand.